1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cygnus X1.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 18 Sep 2008.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Tensol 12, strong as hell. Also gives you nice clean connection, not white smears like others...

2. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the tip phinix. :thumb:

This update is to give you an idea of how the front panel will open.
    I've said previously that the basic idea ended up to be very simple, and that's
    true. Before, the idea was to have the front move out and then straight up, but
    this required some complex design and fabbing. I settled on a design that pops
    out and then moves up in an arc, to come to rest parallel with the front. Not as
    elegant but still useful.

I went back to channel for the fixed rail, it's still too high, but I will trim it down
    in the router. The screws are sunk a bit deeper than usual as a fan is spinning
    about 2mm away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the swing arm is made from channel that fits inside the fixed arm, and a little pivot
    to fit to the lower back of the front panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure how long the fixed channel needs to be, but it needs to be long enough to
    act as a stop when the swing arm comes to rest upon closing the front. Still trying to
    work things out. Ideally, I'd like to have as little as possible of this fixed channel showing
    when the front is raised and I've got an idea that may be able to do this.

[​IMG]

So, when it's all closed up, the swing arm sits inside the fixed channel and the front is
    supported by the pivot on the bottom of the swing arm. A magnet under the nose locates
    and fixes it at the top. In this shot you can see that it may be possible to remove a lot of
    the fixed channel.

[​IMG]

To open the front, the top is pulled out breaking the magnetic bond and clearing the nose.
    This can be done because the panel will pivot on the lower joint of the swing arm.

[​IMG]

Continuing to pull on the front panel will cause it to lift until the swing arm is perpendicular
    to the fixed rail, at which point the operator will need to push it till it comes to rest on some
    fixed stops on the rails. (along with many things, still to be worked out).
    Can't show you it in the raised position because I got haven't done the work yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course this will all be invisible when the case is all closed up. The only measurements
    that are really critical, are the length of the swing arm, the height of the lower pivot bracket
    and the position and strength of the upper magnet. Also a method needs to be worked out
    to support the front in the raised position. I'm leaning towards springs for this task, so I'll
    plod on till it's done. :D

Oh, and some of these parts will need to be remade. ;)

EDIT:

I've included these pic's here because, quite frankly, apart from the vents and a few minor pieces, all the parts are made. So I'll make this the last update. :clap:
    Hopefully, if things go as planned, the next time I see you will be in three or four
    weeks with the finished case.
    Of coarse there is much work to do. Lot's of sanding, fitting, cleaning, anodising, painting
    and tweaking. Then the final photo's. :)

Here are the main parts to the front lift trimmed down.

[​IMG]

Here you can see that the fixed rail has been shortened considerably. This means that not
    a lot of this will be visible when the front is open. Also, the swing arm still stops parallel with
    the fixed rail.

[​IMG]

As much as possible has been trimmed off and "prettied up".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the "attitude control arm" :hehe:. It just keeps the front panel verticle while it's
    being openend. And it really works. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you in a few weeks. ;)

Last edited: 21 Oct 2009
    sentek, M7ck, GrendelPrime and 2 others like this.
  3. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Damn that looks cool.

You know what, I have that exact same tap/die set, Sontax if I am not mistaken lol, picked one up the other week for around $40.

4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

FINISH? NO! What will I have left to live for?!

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Why so looooong? :(

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Next to last post=:(
    4 weeks=:(
    final pics=:D
    Continue rep bombing, boys!

That faceplate arm is a beaut!

Kalcifer likes this.
  7. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

/me eating my words

It will be a bittersweet ending to this build. I want to see the finished product, but... then there'll be no more updates. :waah:

Unless you pull a G69T and revisit it a few years later!

Also, you've changed hard drives on us:

*Edit* Yeah, j/k on that. The other HDD showed up a f**king while ago. March 2nd, to be exact :wallbash:

Last edited: 23 Oct 2009
  8. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

I really want to start a project, but now I'll just cower in the corner in awe over this. Congrats on everything. :thumb:

9. Xion X2

Xion X2 What's a Dremel?

Very creative and inspiring!

I have to say that you have probably the best metalwork I've seen in the hobby to date, along with some serious design skills. That aluminum chassis was beautiful. And you've created a great log here that's detailed and very easy to follow.

The one thing I will never understand, though, is why you decided to go with a wooden shell. To me, it's like the build lost its identity which was a futuristic persona. Wood is for entertainment centers and dressers; it's not for electronics, IMO.

I think that it can work with a build but only if the theme is carried throughout. I once saw a guy build a PC out of wood that was modeled as an antique radio. That worked for me because the wood very much fit the theme. A futuristic metal chassis combined with wood doesn't fit for me.

Nevertheless, nothing can take away from your machine shop skills, planning, passion and dedication that you have for your work. Very inspiring build.

10. bagman

bagman Minimodder

this mod is just so good like really good which i had your skills

11. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

I heard from a friend that Jesus was seen around these parts... that he was doing some of his miracles. Laughed like hell when I heard it. I said, "Jesus can walk on water, what the hell would he need computers for?"

Then I saw this thread. And I told that dumb friend of mine.......

"I came to BT to find Jesus...

but I found GOD instead."

12. Attila

Thanks b4oz. :thumb: $29.95 from super cheap auto.:naughty:

Haha, there will be more.

Thanks mate. :thumb:

I hope to do something better next time. ;)

:lol::hehe: Thanks Spaceraver.

Thanks Xion. :thumb: Yes wood is a very "love it or hate it' kind of thing. What I was looking
    for was contrast, I love these two materials together.

Thanks. :)

Hahahaha :lol: Well, thank you gabriel, but it's just a PC case. :)

Cheapskate and M7ck like this.
  13. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Its not mate, it is so much more. It is a work of art, it is perfection, it is an inspiration it is jaw droppingly stunning.

I love this case, the way the aluminium and wood look together is amazing.:thumb:

More rep for you sir for being so modest.

14. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

this still isnt finished? How much have you spent on it, just out of curiosity?

15. Attila

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First of all, although I'm very happy with the photos, I can't explain the colour variation
    straight off the camera, but the wood is gorgeous and the photos do it justice.

Thanks to all who followed this project, and especially thanks to those who have posted
    and given thier opinions and idea's, I have used quite a few ideas proposed by members.
    Thank you. :clap::clap::clap:

The best thing about building CX1 has been the wealth of experience I've picked up along
    the way. Many things I undertook for this project were for the first time and many mistakes
    were made, but I now have a huge arsenal of knowledge that I can take to the next project
    and hopefully make it easier, quicker and better.
    See you next time. ;)

confusis, Zoon, [- pio -] and 15 others like this.
  16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

O M F G !!!!!! This is absolutely beautiful, a truly awesome piece of work. Definitely MOTY right here. I would love to get a wallpaper of this beauty ;). +rep for all your hard work mate, you really do deserve it. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for your next project ;) :D.

*EDIT*
    Out of curiosity, how much did she end up weighing in total?

murtoz likes this.
  17. tomcatt

tomcatt WoodWoodWood

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

there are no words to describe how amazing and beautiful this is !!

murtoz likes this.
  18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Stunning.

murtoz likes this.
  19. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

:brrr: DAMN COOL :brrr:

20. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

wow...... that is one stunning peice of art