1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Microsoft Windows 7 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Oct 2009.

1. New character

New character What's a Dremel?

Actually it seems like a marked improvement as far as responsiveness goes for XP as well.

2. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

There's always switcher for windows 7 that brings in expose functionality.

3. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

For multi-monitor users,

you can Win+Shift+Left/Right to move the active window from a monitor to the next.
    It'll keep the same window position but on the next monitor, also works with fullscreened apps or flash videos etc...

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Veles is now posting from Windows 7 :D

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

That's not really a great image if you want to further the idea that it isn't just Windows 95 with knobs on :)

P

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Just got this today and installed it (32-Bit) on my old Clevo D900T using a 7800 GTX Go, And i was amazed that almost everything worked with the xp drivers with some fiddling around. Even the wireless card which the upgrade advisor said would be a problem.

The reason i'm running it on my old laptop is because my desktop's half died so i've put it in boxes for when i got some spare cash to rebuild it.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

When XP came out I staunchly refused to switch and stuck with 98SE until hardware changes forced me to move on to XP.
    I quickly got used to XP, and while 98SE holds a special place, XP was simply better.

I was a die-hard XP-user for years then, and refused to switch to Vista when that came out. Rightly so, I felt then and still feel today.

Then I tried the Windows 7 Beta and it was great but I stuck with XP as my main OS for obvious reasons.
    RC1 was even better and I gradually shifted towards it as my main OS over a few weeks.

When the RTM came out I switched over completely and I haven't used XP on my main rig since then. Not even once.

At this stage I'm only keeping an XP partition on the off-chance that some app or game I want to use/play doesn't work in 7, though that hasn't happened yet since I've found workarounds for what few problems I've encountered in 7 and I play a lot of old games.

Anyone on the fence about it and still using XP, just go for 7 - You won't regret it.

To those of you raging about it.. Just go try it out instead of ranting, I can almost guarantee you'll feel embarrassed about your nerdrage when you do.

Lastly, for the love all that is good, don't waste your time with 32-bit if your hardware supports 64-bit (and it probably does, these days) no matter whether you think you 'need' 64-bit or not - You do.
    The sooner we move away from that painful holdover the better.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2009
  8. NoMercy

NoMercy What's a Dremel?

If I was running XP still, sure I'd upgrade but I just don't see the benefit from Vista 64.

9. TheUn4seen

TheUn4seen What's a Dremel?

What's all this noise about? It's just another Windows, it's not even a real OS, just a multimedia gimmick used to play games. And it's not even good at it when compared to XP - I tried to use 7 for a month on a gaming rig and I don't see any way it's better than XP x64. It's slower, runs far more bloat and uses far more resources. Framerates are 5-15% worse than on XP.

So why should I sacrifice performance (even if it's just 5% on a fast machine) just for Windows? Why should Windows eat half a gig of RAM, even if I have 16 gigs, when XP does the same, only faster and using less resources?

Being an engineer I feel the natural push towards newer and better technologies, but "newer" isn't always "better", and windows 7 is a perfect example. For several years of development and 8 years since XP started, Microsoft didn't move very far. You still get the same thing, just with more marketing jibberish, more bloat, almost no new features (Everything Vista and 7 introduced was already done by third-party software long ago, and was done better), LOWER performance and some arguably useful UI changes. Not really impressive.

Oh, and before someone says I'm bashing Windows - no, I'm not. I don't really care about it, Windows was never my main system. I try to be objective, and Windows 7 failed to impress me, especially when you consider how long it was developed. Windows 2000 was impressive, it brought stability, an advanced kernel and some important core functionality to Windows family. Windows 7 just corrects some some of the major flaws of Vista.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I still use XP but not saying I will not get window's 7. I will get windows7 when SP1 comes out for sure. I have used on the laptops we sell at work . I do like it though

11. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i cannot believe so many people are whining about "performance". there's so much of these things why argue over a few frames? simply grab a new card and off you go.

with added feature, performance will take a small dip for sure. windows 7 and vista are both fantastic OS for the end user. i challenge anyone who've used to windows 7 to switch back and still work as efficient as before.

i cannot live without:
    -the start menu quick search (started on vista, great OS)
    -the new task bar
    -the progress bar in task bar when copying files
    -a stack-like program for the task bar
    -quick wireless connection without having to open a connections window
    -multi-monitor toggle switch

im sure many of those are available though third party software such as UltraMon for the last one. but windows 7 includes them into one clean package, and native software is always better than third party.

so stop whining about insignificant things and install windows 7 64bit.

12. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

MS should have a counter in the center of the screen for XP users, in 72 pt type. 128 hours until this operating system is deleted, and then direct them to their local store, newegg or whatever to get with the show and buy Win7.
    I am tired of having to play dx9 games because of cyber-luddites who refuse to upgrade. I understand that vista required expert knowledge to get running half effectively, that era is over, go buy Win7.

13. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Yea, let's totally shaft the corporate world that still runs on XP and have applications built specifically for XP and IE6. Sounds like a great idea, I'm sure Microsoft won't mind losing that entire market. :rolleyes:

14. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I'm absolutely loving Win7. Was fiddling around with it for a few hours before I went off to the pub, installing programs, getting round to sorting out my files, etc.

I installed it and everything worked beautifully, no problems at all, just full of all these little improvements that just make things better and easier.

Big thumbs up from me so far, not played any games on it yet though.

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

anyone have a list of CPU's that support virtualization. I'm gonna be making the switch to windows 7, BUT, I ran a decent amount of old music creation software and drivers and some of them never worked in vista making me keep an xp partition around.

it would be great to no longer have an xp partition and be able to run those clients in inside of windows 7.

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I run Windows 7 Ultimate on my Netbook and it runs it fine even with Aero. Media center is pretty smooth too considering the hardware in the netbook which mine is a ASUS 1000HE.

17. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

it seems everybody has a very short memory.

all this talk about not being as good as XP, slower, etc, etc. was all said about windows 98, windows 2000, windows xp! and vista.

new technology's, new features = more resources.
    and do we really care? just about everyone here is running 6GB or RAM++ and a decent rig.

go home and install windows 2000 or 98 in a virtual machine then u will remember how far we have come.

18. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

I only skimmed through but this caught my eye.

Vista lets you do that anyway.

19. Dragunover

Dragunover What's a Dremel?

Benchmarking peformance for it is pure bull****. Try again, bit-tech.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Oct 2009
  20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What?

Tags: Add Tags