1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress λ-Zephyr - New pics and an afterthought...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by woody_294, 30 Aug 2009.

1. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Huh? What nomination? OMGz! MotM? I got so excited my comp BSOD'd! Seriously it did :D

Thanks AnG3L, Jack and Stonesurd :) I just got back from pretty much 3 weeks away working to find that out! I am beyond chuffed!

Guess I better get the soldering iron out and geta wriggle on finishing this thing!

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Those T-RAD2's are amazing aren't they :D

3. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

the case looks amazing, i really like what you did with the hard drives, and the colour makes it look really nice
    :)

4. woody_294

Yeah I'm well chuffed with the temps it's given me :) I can put the GPU slider all the way to the top on it :rock:

Thanks Quavr!

5. woody_294

Well! I've finally got around to doing something, it's not a lot, but then there's not a lot left to do :)

Firstly I've sorted out the lighting in the top compartment, which has helped make it fit in with the rest of the insides:
    [​IMG]
    This is the lighting I've made with some prototype board and a couple of LEDs/resistors instead of just having the LED's on a wire, and now with this fixed (glued :) ) in place the top fits in a damn site better than before.
    [​IMG]

This may not look like I've done much but I've had to bring the whole HDD cover forward about 8mm because the WD Caviar is about 5mm fatter than the ones I used for mocking, up, DOH lol.
    [​IMG]
    Notice I've removed the ugly warranty sticker, good job WD are reliable, lol. Something else will go there on that nice shiny bit of metal, I've yet to buy the second drive, I'm thinking of doing a RAID setup :)

The other thing I've done is sprayed up some PCI slot covers and installed them, wow, haha.
    [​IMG]

Now I'm off to do some experimenting with vinyl, should be fun.

Thats all for now :D

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Really is looking great, a very clean mod.

7. woody_294

Having dramas with vinyl atm!

8. woody_294

Got some more done, in the form of some vinyl :)

I'll let the pics tell the story for this bit ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Freehand & a compass:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you guess what they're for yet??? A clue, I can only put one on at the moment!

[​IMG]

While WD's stickers are informative and warranty essential, I still prefer mine :D

And some more vinyl circles to replace some more ugly stickers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Much cleaner!

Just need to get some mesh so this case can have a front, and stop the cats getting scuffed noses :lol:

9. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I love how you give emphasis on the detail and these stickers are awesome bro!! For the fans I used round black gloss acrylic when I was building "AnG3L" but that is wicked too man!
    Keep it coming!!! :)

10. woody_294

Thanks buddy :D I'm really enjoying working with vinyl, just hope I don't get carried away!

I might do a mod in the future with a lot more of it :dremel:

11. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The home made stickers turned out very well, nice job :thumb:.

12. woody_294

Thanks! I like em :D Just want the second drive so I can put the other one on!

Another update! Yay! And a question at the end :)

Got sick of trying to find some Hexx mesh at a reasonable price, so I went to B&Q today (yep, thats how much it was!) And got me some of this:

[​IMG]
    Cats like it, lol!
    [​IMG]

And cut out a front sized piece:
    [​IMG]
    See told you it was front sized!
    [​IMG]
    And some tabs removed so it fits:
    [​IMG]

Washed up the oily protective coating:
    [​IMG]

Test fitted it and now I have a problem:

I like it just as it is, whereas I was planning on painting it black :s I Like the way it reflects the light and looks pretty cool.

Now I don't know what to do, if I paint it it'll be a nightmare to get back like this, what do you reckon????

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Won't really be a nightmare to get it back to bare metal. Sand it back down, no?

I think it looks fine with the fans on, but when they're off, I'd prefer black.

14. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

yeh I think with fans off it would definitely look better in black, and also it would look good with the fans on. Right now the silver mesh sticks out a bit because the rest of the case is black.
    The vinyls look really cool by the way :)

15. woody_294

Yeah I guess you're right. I'll paint it black, wish I could black chrome it tho :(

16. Quavr

Quavr Minimodder

why can't you black chrome it? If you use spray paint you can get a nice chrome black colour :) i guess not as good quality though perhaps...

17. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

I've just read through your log and I'm impressed! You were up against some really tough competition in MotM but what I like about yours is how you managed to turn an ordinary case into something special on a low budget (I hope). Good job with the vinyl.

The stuffed animals also look very lifelike. Were they former pets or just roadkill you picked up? :hehe:

Well done!

18. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

First of all cats are my whole life too! Second that mesh is really cool looking you could adopt some of my fading techniques and combine some orange on the middle and black fading towards inside! :) Great job buddy!

19. woody_294

I got nowhere to spray :( I need good weather and it's all gone now!

Thanks very much Loom :D Glad you like it, nah they wouldn't go away so I gave up and just took the picture with them on it! Yeah the case has hardly set me back anything really. Case was free (nicked from the bin :lol:), acrylic was free, the only thing I've had to spend money on is:
    Paint, vynil, braid and the mesh, which I'd have had to buy to mod a £200 pound case anyway!

Next build is a scratch build so I'll se how cheap I can make that for too :)

Yeah the cats have kinda taken over the house, :hehe: They're only 6 months old. Yeah I'd love to have a go at fading haven't done it for years, but the weather is rubbish! Seems like it's sunny all year round where you are, by your pics :)

20. woody_294

It is painted! But I ain't showing it yet, it's drying. I've gone for a two sided approach and painted it using a fairly unconventional approach :lol:

To be shown soon! Just wanted to let you know I reckon I've sorted it :D