1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 5870 or wait for Fermi?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klutch4891, 11 Oct 2009.

1. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I don't see why anyone would buy the 620 anymore. The 650 has more PCI cable, more SATA cables, more wattage and amperage, a 7 year warranty, and to top it all it's cheaper than the 620!

2. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

3. klutch4891

Sure some people swear by PC Power and Cooling but I would rather have a good modular design than a good non-modular one any day. Also, I was just saying that the 650 is a much better deal than the 620.

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

1:corsair > pcp&c...read some reviews from guru or hard ocp (the silencer is actually a seasonic built unit...so it's good, just not as good, and far from "world class")

2:7 year warranty > 5 year warranty

3:85% efficiency > 83%

4:4x6+2 pci e connectors > 2x6 pin and 2x6+2 pin

5:zipzoomfly is notorious for lowering prices on out of stock items, then when it gets back in, it miraculously goes up...

but even at that price, an extra $30 for a better unit, warranty, and modular capabilities? totally worth it.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2009
  5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Need to add that the HX650W is Seasonic-built as well. Actually, I'm pretty sure that the HX620W and the HX650W are nearly identical, with perhaps a few tweaks on the new model. Would have been nice if it had been based on Seasonic's M12D design, though. :)

Oh, and the HX650W is certainly not cheaper than the HX620W around here. It's a bit of a moot point, though, as the HX620W is bound to disappear from the channel very soon.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

The HX650 has more connectors and a more desirable single 52A +12V rail rather than triple 18W +12V rails, and I'm sure is more efficient than the older model.

7. klutch4891

Yeah I don't think newegg has caught on yet that they're charging less money for the new version. I'm sure the prices will switch once they notice though.

8. trig

actually, i believe cwt makes these units for corsair now, but even still its more about the specs corsair wants their units built at, and this is decently superior...if that makes sense

9. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

umm, no. that was like saying like saying XFX's non-ref card was the same a eVGA's non-ref.

and

Corsair HX650
    Silencer 750w

What situation would require 4x8-pin connectors? Be creative.

It was in stock and at that price since the 22nd. I'm doubting the first half of that statement, as for the rest, no doubt, newegg does it too it's called supply and demand.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm not sure about the number of connectors, but neither the HX520W nor the HX620W were ever triple 12V rail PSUs. Corsair initially claimed that, but came clean after a single rail design was proved over at jonnygury.com.

The HX650W is built by Seasonic. It was stated by a Corsair rep somewhere. Of course I can't find the quote now... :) Note also, how the HX650W noise spec is extremely similar (if not identical) to the HX620W noise spec.

11. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, long time reader/lurker, first time posting.

I currently have two GTX280's, which have served me very well. However, I'm contemplating swapping them for a single 5870, as I like the idea of returning to a single card solution, cooler with lower power consumption and DX11 support. I can't find any directly comparable benchmarks though, and while I know the 5870 would bring a performance drop in terms of raw grunt, I'm wondering if it would be a worthwhile and essentially free 'swap' assuming I can still get £150ish for each GTX280. I would also then have the option for a second 5870 later on down the line, which would be (crossfire drivers permitting) a good way ahead of two GTX280's. I've not been 100% impressed or happy with any of my Nvidia cards since I switched from using ATI after a long love affair with a Radeon 9800 pro, and I'm quite interested in going back to ATI.

What do you think?

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think its a sound plan. I regretted every second of my 9800GX2, yes in raw power SLI is nice, but it never compares to a single card. You could get a fair wack for those cards on eBay, so why not go for a 5870?

13. trig

what???

ok...that shows what? that a manufacturer puts up ratings about their own equipment that aren't quite realistic...again, read reviews by johnny guru and hard ocp...like i said before...
    i mean...if you buy your components based on what the maker says it can do, you probably own a lot of ecs, thermaltake, and ultra products, dont you...read real world reviews my friend...

since they are 6+2, that's not the point, it's the fact that whether you buy a couple of cards that require 4x6 or 4x8, the corsair can handle it. the silencer can't...be creative? sounds like you need to take your own advice

yeah, i'm sure it was. you spend hours making sure the silencer is for sale and at what price...you're a watchdog, right? yes, newegg has done it to me on occasion, but zipzoomfly is ...again...notorious for it...i could care less if you doubt it...the point stands, don't compare prices when one is out of stock, lots of companies lower out of stock prices to try to keep you from buying that product elsewhere...

@azreal...if you could find that link, i would love it. would feel much better inside knowing that seasonic is the oem behind corsair again. but i've read several places that cwt has been building their "commercial grade hx series" for awhile now, specifically on guru. i know that the oem builds it to spec, but still, cwt isn't seasonic.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2009
  14. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i thinck you should wait till fermi as you are in no hurry to change your card yet as you still have a lot of grunt

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Really? Because their official page still shows them as having triple 12V rails, so if it wasn't correct I would have thought they'd have changed it by now.

And why would they lie about that? I'm not quite 100% on the arguments for and against multiple rails but I always thought a single, more powerful +12V rail was better.

16. trig

i think you should wait as well, but one thought that i had is that your 280's are worth more now than they will be when fermi hits...so, i dont think it would be a horrible idea to sell and go 5870 either, or maybe just grab a 5850 and pocket the rest until we see when/what fermi can do.

off topic @ bagman. i can't find any reason why your bios wont allow you to change from auto voltage. every review i read seems to just be able to change. maybe a bios flash would fix it?

17. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

Hmm, it's a tricky one. Perhaps I should wait for Fermi/GT300 but I'm not so sure - I'm not too interested in Nvidia's attempts to woo people with CUDA and Physx, they mostly seem like tacked-on proprietary exclusions which add little or nothing to the computing/gaming experience. It's more like they're trying to convince people of the worth of their proprietary technologies, rather than responding to what gamers actually want. I understand why they would want people to use the desktop GPU for something other than the sadly dwindling PC gaming market, but I just want something that provides a great gaming performance.

I'm swapping from an antec P180 to a 1200 this week, so I'll check out the temps of the GTX280 in the new case first.

18. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Managed to find the info about Seasonic building the HX650W. The blurb is here and the complete thread is here. Note, that it's written in German, but at least the quote is very easy to grasp. :)

Still looking on that info about the HX520/620W being single-rail. Seems to be a bit harder... :)

19. trig

couldnt understand a lick lol...o well, it's still an awesome unit regardless of who made it. the hx850(made by cwt) tested amazingly on guru...and i read the 650 was essentially the same with more power.

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, the first line says that the HX650W is manufactured by Seasonic to Corsair's specification.

The second line is basically irrelevant, but it says that more info will be available upon launch and the first reviews.

Earlier in the thread the Corsair rep states that the both the HX520W and HX620W will EOL very soon. Later in the thread he (I assume it's a "he" :)) says that the reason for several manufacturers is that no one manufacturer can enough units to satisfy demand. He also states that both the HX520W and the HX620W are still great PSUs (and right he is). He finishes by stating that it's currently unknown if there will be a HX550W.

I guess we should get back OT (that is "on topic" :p) now and discuss the pros and cons of ATi's available 5000 series cards versus nVidia's "PowerPoint" Fermi series (sorry, couldn't help it... :D).