1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Must-Have Software for your Mac

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hex, 6 Mar 2005.

1. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

TextMate is the best text editor for programming bar none.

2. RangerX

RangerX What's a Dremel?

I didn't see anyone mention Parallels or VMWare Fusion. They are both OS virtualization packages. They allow you to seamlessly run Windows only apps inside your OSX environment.

I use my MBP in a business environment and these packages remove the last barrier I encountered.

RangerX
    I just broke my bit-tech cherry.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I own both. For straight-up programming TextMate is certainly better. But when you're looking to integrate that programming with your website, Coda's IDE is really unmatched by TextMate's previewing features. The built-in documentation and code completion really are leaps and bounds above what TM offers. If Coda integrates TextMate's macro functions, I'll be in coder heaven (though they could handle syntax highlighting when you've got inline php a bit better too).

4. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

I third Quicksliver, I have it bound to my f8 key on my Santa Rosa Macbook and I cant live without it, save so much time, I seldom even use my dock anymore.

You should also try the Webkit version of Safari, lightning fast
    Resize em All is a quick batch photo resizer, very minimalist (which is a good thing)
    smcFanControl is usefull to manually changing fan speed and viewing temps (if you're on a macbook)
    Aurora , turns your mac into an awesome alarm clock, can auto wake from sleep, plays off your itunes play list, and it has a "go to sleep function" where you can have your computer shut off automatically after a certain amount of time or a specified number of songs plays.

5. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've been really happy with Colloquy for IRC and NetNewsWire for RSS feeds.

All joking aside, I also love Vista Ultimate on my MacBook. The hardware is lightweight, and the drivers that come with boot camp are great!

Best of both worlds without having to pay for virtualization and split resources.

6. thebestnews

thebestnews What's a Dremel?

Hi, really good thread guys, thanks. As I have just got a mac this is invaluable!!!! I like a program called MacFreePops which allows you to download hotmail emails into an email client like Mac Mail, Entourage or Thunderbird. Especially usefull if your main ebay account is linked to your hotmail account.

Last edited: 2 Jun 2008
  7. Sleepy_Sentry

Sleepy_Sentry What's a Dremel?

8. zeroinfinity

zeroinfinity hmmm.

I'm gonna say Appdelete. It's like App Zapper, but it's free. :) Also, here's a list of of other free mac apps: recommended mac apps. They're free, plus there's little descriptions in there. Cyberduck is one, and recommended for site builders, etc.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2008
  9. kesa20

kesa20 spaceman

Transmit is a good ftp software, have good experiences with it.

10. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

speeddownloader Cheesecake, plus quicksilver, coda, textmate, rapidweaver, mailplane and crossover games

11. Clipperz

Clipperz What's a Dremel?

Love using:

Transit: FTP

Toast Titanium: DVD/CD Burning

XTorrent: P2P

OSX: Oh yeah, I actually enjoy using this OS

12. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

one thing stands out, over everything else:

vmware fusion.

13. Wopsh

Wopsh Don't own a Dremel :(

The Perian multi-codec is good to have along with Flip4Mac. With Perian Quicktime can open almost any video. Its the best way to view .flv audio/video and often gives better looking subtitles than VLC.

14. ChriX

ChriX ^

Thanks to this thread I ended up buying Delicious Library, it's great! Had to buy it in order to be able to go round scanning everything I owned. :D

I like MultiClutch too, lets you setup 3 finger gestures for all applications.

15. CraigWatson

CraigWatson Level Chuck Norris

I usually install the following:

Quicksilver - awesome, awesome app, saves me rooting through Applications when I want to run anything, can also search for files too
    VirtualBox - Better than VMware Fusion, more user-friendly, and there's a FOSS version, and it supports OpenGL 3D acceleration on all guest OSes :)
    VLC
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Flip4Mac
    Adium
    aMSN
    TextWrangler
    Azureus/Vuze
    Chicken of the VNC
    OpenOffice
    Last.fm iTunes Plugin
    Flash for Firefox/Safari
    iStat Toolbar Menus
    Folding@Home
    Growl
    MacFUSE & NTFS3G

And all of the above are free! :D

Last edited: 10 Apr 2009
  16. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Flip4Mac
    Geektool
    SMCFanControl
    rEFIt
    Transmission
    Spotify

My Bare Essentials.

17. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Could someone point me in the direction of this thread?

18. ChriX

ChriX ^

For an Office like product, I'm liking Lotus Symphony much more than Open Office.

19. jamesthebard

jamesthebard Too Much Time On My Hands

A Solid 8 Apps

Easy:
    1. VLC: The best video player on Mac.
    2. Transmission: You like bitTorrent? This is the better of two good options. uTorrent, IMHO, still needs a few tweaks before it displaces Transmission.
    3. Path Finder: OS X is a good, solid, UNIX-type operating system. Finder, however, makes me want to claw out the eyes of the UI developers with rusty sporks. Path Finder replaces Finder with something that you can actually navigate around the operating system with.
    4. Controllermate: Like Mac's, but hate their keyboards and associated peripherals? You can map any button attached to your Mac to anything you can think of. Also, can fix certain mouse movement issues (acceleration/speed).
    5. Handbrake: A great tool at quickly converting DVD's to H.264/XviD.
    6. Carbon Copy Cloner: Title says it all. Not really useful for everyone, but considering my friends and their unique ability at computer devastation...
    7. Cyberduck: Quick, easy-to-use FTP program. Been using it for transferring files to my website for quite awhile.
    8. Max: This should be higher on the list, but I'm lazy. The best music ripper for OS X.

20. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

Only 2 things you need for a mac:

Boot Camp

Windows 7

:cooldude:

Tags: