1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Kingston SSDNow V Series 40GB: Intel X25-X

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Why is there no X25-M G2 in there for comparison? :(

3. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Lots of chips missing off it. anyone up for modding it and hacking it to get more out of it. :D

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If you can buy 34nm NAND on its own and edit the firmware, sure!

Stone: It's not exactly the same market, however I appreciate you want the comparison and I might dig out the numbers to drop in later this week/weekend.

5. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Thanks, would be much appreciated I'm sure, and not only by me :)

6. Radical_Monkey

Radical_Monkey Dremel > Lightsabre

Do you think this SSD would give a major performance boost to a netbook, say the samsung NC10 with W7 Pro installed?

Thanks

7. jim48509

jim48509 What's a Dremel?

After reading that review I will leave the card in the wallet.

8. Xir

Xir Modder

So...the Kingston SSD NOW V+Series 64GB SSD was seen (in it Article) as too small...but this one isn't?

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, 40GB is certainly too small (we said in the first page), but two in RAID 0 is not bad at nearly 80GB.

10. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

hmm i like the look of this would make a great cheap drive for a database that requires lots of reads im half tempted

are there any others out there that have similar if not better read performance and cost about the same

11. cosmic

cosmic What's a Dremel?

Looks like its wait a bit longer for a 'cheap' SSD boot drive. Will have to see how the competition responds to this, its certainly a step in the right direction - just not there yet.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

True...in Raid0 it is slower as solo though.
    Wouldn't a Samsung F3 also in Raid0 come close? (and have 2terabyte and cost less?)

13. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

No Win7 results? Im sure alot of us are running it, i know i have for over a year :)

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

WIndows 7 SSD and HDD testing article is in the works, but understand it means retesting a hell of a lot of drives, as well as working around Windows 7's caching system.

15. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

You don't like it based on its sequential write speeds? This would make a great system drive. Show me a better SSD for £80.

As for a performace drive, I would take it over a WD velociraptor in a hart beat ;)

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes but two HDDs do truly double the chance of failure in a bad way. SSDs, so far, have proved a lot more reliable so that's why we're even marginally considering it. This doesnt solve issues like a bad mobo, driver corruption, etc

17. John_T

John_T Minimodder

As you say, 40GB is really too small with modern OS's - and why would someone want to spend £160 'raiding' two of these instead of just buying a bigger, better SSD to begin with?

Still, it's definitely moving in the right direction.

If manufacturers keep up their current pace of improvement and price reduction, I can see myself swapping to an SSD as my core drive at some point in Q1 2010.

18. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Thinking about it, I'm currently toying with the idea of buying a net-top as a Christmas pressie to myself.

One of these could be perfect in a net-top, (something like an Acer Aspire Revo R3600) as it would give a totally silent system - with the only sound being the click of the on/off button.

Does anyone know if those things come apart easily - or are they moulded shut?

Actually, an article on net-tops would be pretty cool if you guys aren't too busy - I bet they'd make great media centres with SSD's in them...

Last edited: 27 Oct 2009
  19. ano

ano 8-bit Bandit

Yes SSDs are perfect for netbooks, hence the Asus Eee PC came with one 2 years ago (although it was 4Gb heh).

20. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Moving in the right direction? Please come again?
    All they did was making it smaller and slower while selling it for basically the same £/GB price. It's smaller, that's why it's cheaper.

I'm disappointed. Give me an SSD drive with 1xx MB/s read AND write for 1 - 1.5 £/GB and we're talking.

Tags: Add Tags