1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Large Wooden Tower - Finished!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Spotswood, 19 Sep 2009.

1. Mechh69

Mechh69 I think we can make that fit

Great start that thing really does look HUGE! The drawings look awsome cant wait to see more subbed.:clap:

2. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

Aw come on, its not that big. :D Here's the Corsair 800D in comparison:

[​IMG]

:D

3. Spotswood

I didn't like the quality of the front panel's plywood "B" side (the good "A" side faces the inside of the case), so I had to cut another piece and sandwich them together, "B" side to "B" side. By utilizing the existing panel as a template for my router, this extra task went fast. After rough cutting another piece of plywood, the two pieces were temporarily held together with double-sided tape. Then a pattern/flush trim router bit was used to "cut" the panel to size.

[​IMG]

The hole for the optical drives was routed out and the corners squared with a hand file.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next task was to route three 120mm holes in the front panel, but I discovered that the fan frame I was going to use as a router template wasn't stiff enough, which would have resulted in misshaped holes.

[​IMG]

The simple fix will be to glue on some 1/8-inch aluminum flat bar to stiffen it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2009
  4. RuSGaMeR

RuSGaMeR No Pain No Gain...

NOT that BIG?????? That THING is HUGE!!!:D:D:D.........But on the other hand.....There's a LOT of ROOM to put ALL the stuff you WANT in it:D:D:D

PS
    Looking Good so far.

5. Spotswood

There wasn't an easy way to fasten the fan "template" to the front panel safely, so I decided to fabricate yet another template. I cut some 1/4-inch thick plywood the same size as the front panel and I aligned the fan housing and used it as a guide to drill some holes (through all three layers of plywood).

[​IMG]

The plywood template was removed and the fan housing was "bolted" to it with some #8 socket cap screws i.e. the bolts were used to cut their own threads into the plywood.

[​IMG]

The plywood with the bolted-on fan were placed onto the workbench and a 1/2-inch pattern/flush router bit was used to cut out the fan holes:

[​IMG]

After all three holes were cut out of the template, the template was attached to the front panel and three more holes were routed out of it.

[​IMG]

The template was removed and the holes were cleaned-up with some 120 grit sandpaper.

[​IMG] :D

Mach likes this.
  6. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Very nice! Precise and an elegant solution.:thumb:

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It's always fun to watch a quality wood case come to life.
    -Please promise us the client won't spray paint it black!

8. Kaldskryke

Kaldskryke Lurker

The first post says it will be stained black

9. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

Sweet! nice work.

10. Spotswood

The decision to have the case stained black is regrettably, irreversible. :sigh: I just cannot guarantee that I haven't screwed up and gotten some blob of glue somewhere that would ruin the finish. Oak veneer plywood is like a sponge when it comes to absorbing glue. In the future, I will finish all of the parts before gluing/assembly, thus avoiding the "glue-up" problem altogether. Thus, I will have to charge more for an unfinished case. :sigh:

11. Kaldskryke

Kaldskryke Lurker

How many of these are you planning on making, Spotswood?

12. Spotswood

I'll build as many as people are willing to order. :thumb:

13. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

So who/what ordered this one? Personal client of yours? Do you have your own computer shop or do you build cases for a hobby/sideline? Sorry for sounding so probing, I just can't contain my curiosity. Even though many modders undoubtedly would like to make a couple of <insert local country's most popular note's colour here> ones I don't think it happens that often.

14. Spotswood

A member of XtremeSystems Forums, who was watching one of my design threads over there, commissioned this case.

These are currently being built as a hobby, but that could change depending on interest. Over at XS a lot of members were drooling over a case design that this one is based on (that design was mention in Antony Leather's Is there such a thing as the perfect PC case? blog entry), but this one is being fab'd out of wood, which will probably lessen its overall appeal.

I don't understand what you're getting at here. :confused:

15. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

It made sense in my head :idea:. What I meant is that many modders would probably love to make some money with their mods, I was just wondering if you're hoping for the same. Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this.

16. Spotswood

Case Top

Yes, I hope many other water cooling enthusiasts will commission this case. :thumb:

The top of the case is made from 1/4-inch plywood edged with 3/4 x 1-1/4-inch oak. The plywood was roughly cut to size on the table saw and then a couple of extra layers of plywood were glued to the edges in order to thicken it in preparation for gluing the 3/4-inch edging.

[​IMG]

The top was then trimmed to the desired width with the router.

[​IMG]

The edging was glued, scraped flush with a cabinet scraper and lightly sanded.

[​IMG]

Seam? What seam?

[​IMG]

:rock:

Last edited: 6 Nov 2009
  17. Spotswood

The ends of the top were cut with... Anyone? Anyone? ...a router fitted with a flush/trim bit. The "jig" used to make sure the cut was nice and square was a framing square taped to the workbench.

[​IMG]

Completed top:

[​IMG]

The top took a lot of time to complete. For the next 100 cases :rolleyes:, I'll have to come up with either a simpler design or a more efficient fabrication technique.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2009
  18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:jawdrop:

Wicked! :D

19. Spotswood

Left Side Panel

First off, here's a pic of the case with the top.

[​IMG]

The side panels are made from 1/4-inch oak veneer plywood, edged with 3/4-inch oak, mitered at the corners. The plywood sits in a 5.2x10mm deep groove.

[​IMG]

Left-side panel done.

[​IMG]

20. Spotswood

Somehow I managed to break both of my 5.2mm straight router bits, so work on the other side and front panels will have to wait a few days.

Between the motherboard tray and the side panel is a removable "false" back that will strengthen the case, steady the motherboard tray and conceal all of the wiring. There is about 30mm between the "false" back and the side panel. :jawdrop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Nov 2009