1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Six-core Core i7s photographed in the bit-tech lab

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 30 Oct 2009.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

in a word

no!

nice to see you guys have them though

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

do want. very much

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

i guess im curious why you guys are so handcuffed on your testing, but the guys over on extreme can post all their results all day long...

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Considering I got stung by bad luck with my 920 and got an early-revision chip that needs 1.45v to boot at 4GHz and as much as 1.51v just to pass a Prime95 test, I'm sorely tempted to replace it with a Gulftown.

Not that I *need* to or anything, but running my 920 at 4GHz, 1.5v vCore 24/7 is bound to kill it sooner or later even with load temps of 65C. :p

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I was just thinkin' how much you guys seem to stick to the rules !

7. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

What please tell,am I supposed to do with 6 cores? run an online "Google-cloud" ; for the benefit of mankind???

I want a faster 4 core!! 8GHz!!!

Otherwise, I'll just buy the new Gt300 in 28nm process with integrated ARM cores and throw Intel out of my PC.

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

They are working for the man now (Dennis Publishing).

9. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

bit-tech are working on having good relationship with Intel. That way they can get the chips early every time and deliver solid testing results the second they receive a green light.

Lizard likes this.
  10. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

this time next year folk will be getting gooey eyed over 8 cores

11. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I couldn't have said it better matee - thanks for saving me from having to write a similar official response :)

+1 rep

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

But when are we going to get every day normal stuff that properly uses anything more than a single core?

13. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

bit-tech has always been respectful of trade secrets, NDAs and the like from what I've seen - That's nothing specific to the Dennis era of bit.

And importantly, that kind of integrity works both ways - Companies like Intel, nVidia and AMD can trust bit-tech and by the same token so can we as consumers.
    A lot of people here would much rather wait for the information and reviews from bit-tech than go straight for the leaks and news from less reputable sites.

Good journalistic/industrial relations work in everyone's favour in return for a little bit more patience. :)

14. FeRaL

FeRaL What's a Dremel?

There's a tool out there where you can get applications to run on certain cores only. I don't have a link to it but just google "permanent setting core affinity".

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

There are lots of multi-core enabled apps out there today. Most are painfully slow on a single core.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Amen!

It's not only that, it's about getting the correct drivers, BIOS and application updates if necessary. The last thing we want to give our readers is the wrong impression on a product and it's co-products that are effectively still in beta.

17. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

18. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Umm, wikipedia isn't the most reliable source you know... more to the point the article is correct as Intel are still denying to us that Gulftown with be called Core i9.

19. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

Or just right click on the process in the task manager. Though you would be wasting your time as locking a process to a core gives zero performance benefit... if it did then everyone would be doing it already.

As for multi-core apps. The only software I use a lot, and which bothers my processor enough to max out a core, is firefox. Most other things make use of at least 2 cores.

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

if you use windows 7, it should be a lot better at keeping single threaded apps on 1 core (vista and xp woud some times put threads on HT cores but it has load on the real core that it was linked HT, so program would go half as fast some times depending what you was doing)

Tags: Add Tags