1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Six-core Core i7s photographed in the bit-tech lab

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 30 Oct 2009.

1. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Did you ever read Brighsideofnews and their coverage of Nvidia???

ohhh, sanctimonious .....pious in your reverence....
    http://www.pickmusic.com/watch/322918/marilyn-manson/personal-jesus

Last edited: 31 Oct 2009
  2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

No, can't say I have. Why?

Wow. :eyebrow:

3. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It's because the B-T crew is chock-full of paramount professionals. 'Nuff said.

As far as Gulftown, I may actually finally upgrade to i7 since I was waiting on the refreshes. Like most here, I can't wait to see what you guys have to say about it. I can smell a new main-rig mod coming...

4. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well I have been thinking of building a Core i7 rig that I wouldnt have to touch for a LONG time except for updating the video cards and well this should certainly do it lol

5. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Right... what about all the other sources out there saying the exact same thing??

Yeah, keep telling yourself that. Bit Tech put out an article saying Intel was doing i9/Gulftown not too long ago. Go search for it. Also, name one place on the internet, that says i7 is Gulftown. You cant can you? i7 is Arrandale, Clarksfield, Lynnfield and Bloomfield.

[​IMG]

from http://www.techpowerup.com/97604/De...ment_Emerge_Gulftown_to_be_Named_Core_i9.html

That says i9.

Also, http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=175681

Thats the article/forum link that bit tech did on i9, which was CONFIRMED.

So believe me now?

6. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

65*C load is very acceptable for a 130w+ CPU....

Anyways, any hints on pricing? I'd imagine these are gonna be i7 Extreme Edition expensive.

7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Erm, no, that's what Intel are telling us. Going along the same line of reasoning as others have said previously, I'm sure bit-tech are just publishing what they've been told by Intel themselves, so it wouldn't make sense to go on rumours rather than the word straight from the horse's mouth. Just because Gigabyte have said it will be called i9 doesn't make it so, and the name may not even be confirmed yet.

Now I think about it, what does it even matter anyway? i7, i9, it's still the same CPU underneath.

Just for future reference: quoting Wikipedia is fine, but as soon as you claim it as a source of fact then all the credibility your argument had just went out the window.

8. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Keep telling myself what? If you read the article we put up a few weeks back, it said that Gigabyte was claiming that Gulftown will be called i9, not Intel, and certainly not bit-tech.

Until Intel tell us it's not called Core i7 (and they haven't) then we're going to carry on calling it what the manufacturer does - not what a rumour started by Gigabyte does, or what another journalist does (as we don't know what their sources are).

9. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

paramount, yes; bluestockings at heart :D :) (pre-18th century meaning, of course).

10. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Yeah, I'm pleased with the temps.
    Hell, I'd be disappointed with anything higher than that, with the CPU watercooled with 2 radiators (2x120, 3x120) ! :p

My worry is the voltage - I could be wrong, but surely a voltage that high is bound to damage the silicon in the long term even when the temps are low?
    Either way, it's running nicely at the moment. :)

11. D-Cyph3r

Downclock then. :p

I used to feel like I was wasting any CPU I had unless I had it running at the absolute highest I could keep it 23/7 stable (there was always some game or app that didn't like my overclock), including a 4.4Ghz Wolfie and 3.8Ghz Qx6800, then I realised it was making ZERO difference to my general computer usage. Games were still GPU limited, everything else was still HDD limited. For the extra heat, electric use and headaches overclocking causes I just don't consider it worth it anymore personally. The 2.8Ghz PII 720 i'm using now feels just as fast as the 3.8Ghz QX I had before. :)

Anyways, to avoid this being a completely off topic post i'll keep pestering for price hints! Amirite with Extreme Edition prices? Would make sense as they'll be considerably faster than Nehelam in fully multi threaded apps and AMD's Thuban CPU's aren't due to Q1 2010 (even that may be optimistic).

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

i dont think i asked the question correctly. im not asking why bit doesnt release things they aren't supposed to, i get nda's and all that. i just don't get: why the guy on xtreme had one so soon and could post whatever he wanted, but bit had to sign an nda or w/e and cant say anything about it yet...

13. D-Cyph3r

My guess would be the guy on XS didn't sign an NDA at all. Those boys have contacts is Asia that can get ES chips at the drop of a hat it seems.... Lucky buggers.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

i7, i9; who cares? If it does become i9 - after Intel tells us so - then the final article will read i9.

Our philosophy is that the publication adheres to stuff based on fact, not rumour, unless strictly stipulated otherwise. This way we are entirely transparent and you always know what you are reading.

15. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

You obviously haven't been listening to the podcasts lately, especially the vasaline one XD Oh well at least it's a fun and informative podcast, even if it's not completely professional :p

16. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

"As we've managed to snag this Gulftown sample so early, Intel has yet to finalise the clock frequency that the retail chips will be sold at. As a result, our sample is clocked a fair bit lower than the retail chips will likely end up being. Even so, our initial test results look extremely promising

Cool, more Intel pre-release hype machine

17. infi

infi What's a Dremel?

looking forward to? ... yeah sometime maybe, when they cost the same I paid for my 920.

18. ChuckyP83

ChuckyP83 What's a Dremel?

Sour grapes much everyone (well, some people). does it matter if its an i9 or an i7 other than for some internet dude to tell a reputable source of standup dudes like Bit-Tech "I told you so! Nah Nah!". I mean get a life. Arguing over semantics about a future Intel processor. I am excited about six cores if only because quads will get even cheaper. Though you can't count on Intel actually pricing their parts fairly... I wish AMD was more competitive in the high end...

19. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

I wonder if they can replicate K|ngp|n's over clocking results, he got 6.2Ghz on LN2 and 4.6Ghz on air, that is seriously impressive for a 6 core CPU, oh and for those wanting benchmarks he got 13k CPU score on 3dMark06 on LN2.

20. lenne0815

lenne0815 What has been seen cannot be unseen

hmm i dont care so much for the benchmark scores yet, especially with the chips not even released, whats much more intreseting is the price point they will sell at and thereby if its worth to wait ??

Tags: Add Tags