1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Eurogamer Expo

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by will., 29 Oct 2009.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Did anyone else go or is going to this?

I went along to the Leeds event yesterday. At first I was a bit underwhelmed. Just lots of demo booths and no PC's! Then we realised there was another hall and I cheered up a bit. Acer had a bunch of those ridiculous PC's with a big plastic door thing on the front with a bunch of cool/weird indy games. Also some more consoles with Borderlands and God of War III.

Assassins Creed is looking really good. They couldn't have chosen a less colourful mission though. Just grey and more grey. It's awesomely brutal though and the animation is so slick now, it even makes Uncharted II look a little flaky! I wasn't able to get an idea of how varied it was, but this was obviously demo code (they had to restart the machines each time a new player came along!) and I don't think there even were any side missions. But I liked the first game anyway, so I doubt I'll mind the new one if their promises even slightly come true.

Heavy Rain was very very cool. They had the two scenes, in the garage and the shop. My first sit down I failed miserably in front of a bunch of rabid nerds and couldn't even walk the guy around, but next time through I figured it out and got myself into the scene properly. The sheer number of possibilities at any number of points is brilliant. I saw a bunch of people playing and only a few did the same things. Unlike most quicktime events they are usually forgiving up to a point. Overall, a very slick looking game that is a pretty new way of doing things.

The Saboteur was just confusing. No controls sheet anywhere to be seen and the mission was far too long to actually play without feeling bad for someone waiting. It looked very nice though. The black and white areas were very cool.

Alien Vs Predator looked fun, but also had the biggest crowd as one of the few multiplayer games where people at the convention were actually fighting each other. The graphics though...

...I saw about 5 games yesterday which all had the same graphics. The grubby textures, shiny outlines, plastic looking characters, stiff looking animation/physics and floaty vehicles. Time I think for the Unreal Engine to **** off.

I also went into the Brink developer session and watched the director play a level. It looks really impressive. Colourful and fast paced gameplay was a bit confusing with huge sound and a massive screen, but it definately looked solid. It reminded me a little of crysis and mass effect. The graphics were stunning. It was obviously running on PC, but they had xBox controls on screen. The multiplayer sounds interesting, having it permanently available at any point in the game, a bit like borderlands, but slightly more guided. I am worried that this might make the single player game a bit empty feeling though when your on your lonesome. It definately made it into my 'games to play' list though.

Finally, I had a go on Batman: AA in 3D. I was - and have been for a while - really sceptical. After putting the awesome glasses on and being given a quick lesson on how to use WASD keys to move (thanks boobs with nvidia logo :p) I was blown away. This is ****ing cool! I want all games like this from now on. The machines running the game though were very beasty though. I can't imagine how much money each one was worth. Not cheap.

Overall, a good day though. When is there going to be a Bit-Tech Expo?! :D

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm going to the London one tomorrow with the other half. Hopefully she will enjoy it too.

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Ditto will be at the London one tomorrow.

4. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

well I'm here at the London event. Only 25 ish mins left to go and the queue is starting to het quite long. We've made it into the queue at about 67 people but it's probably tallying around 300 people right now.

5. Motoko

Motoko What's a Dremel?

im going tommorrow to the london one, whats the best time to go? will there always be queues to get in?

6. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

There were no entrance queues into the London one about an hour after it opened today however I dare say a Saturday will probably be busier.

Managed to bag me a WET t-shirt from being in the first few in the queue :)

7. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I got a brink one in Leeds. Just been running in it in fact! :p

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Predators?

We've got about 30 of those at uni, :D

9. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

just come back from the london expo. very nice, much more spacious than last year and much better lit too. the careers bit was a lot smaller though. going again on saturday. anyone else going? I got a spare ticket if anyone needs it....

10. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

so it was you at the front! i saw you guys and though I WANT ONE!!!

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Well not the front front but yeah, towards that direction :)

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Me and my friends had to que or a while.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Went to the Leeds one on Wednesday, really enjoyed it - £6.00 well spent.

14. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I strolled in at around 1pm ish, no queues. It was really well put together and the developer sessions were pretty interesting. Got myself a Army of Two: 40th Day shirt.

Overall I thought the event was excellent, very little waiting to get on the games (although being ID @ 26 to get into the over 18 bit was embarrassing).

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

:hehe: Classic! Think of it as a compliment!