1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other How often do you turn off your PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheMusician, 27 Oct 2009.

?

How often do you turn off your PC?

1. Daily

67.7%
  2. Weekly

8.4%
  3. Bi- or Tri-weekly

3.2%
  4. Monthly

7.1%
  5. Longer

13.5%
  1. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

um, i've just got an acer aspire - after installing windows + updates it seemed hot after 3 hours.

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Only turn it off for hardware changes/upgrades

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

mine gets shut down whenever I am not using it really. I cannot justify a 200W heater when I am not even in the house! I would put it to sleep but it doesn't like waking up again.

Earlier in this week it had been off from Sunday to Wednesday afternoon as I had been so busy I didn't get a chance to turn it on :(

Laptop gets turned off when I'm not using it too but that because it goes with me to most places. 1 hour gaps in lectures I go and find somewhere with internet and a plug (we have some good places in our uni) and just bum around on the internet. Its such a waste of time - when I was living in uni accommodation last year I could go back and do some work. Sadly I don't/can't now :(

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i know the feeling, i was a 15min walk from uni, now its a 30min bus ride so finding a place at uni to hold up between lectures can really suck! And my laptop is several tonnes so i rather not drag it with me.

5. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Is it not like the uni in transformers two, where they have a data center in there accomodation (bedrrom) onsite.

6. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Main PC gets shut down every night, no reason to pump heat all the time. Notebook gets shut down every time since I keep switching from Ubuntu to Win 7 as needed.
    The torrent box only gets shut down when it freezes (since I cba to install a newer version of FreeNAS - still running 0.69RC2) about once every two months. The file server gets shut down only once a month to update to a new kernel and vacuum out the dust. Or if the power goes out.

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

2 or 3 times a week. Since it's a laptop, I simply shut the lid to put it into sleep every night. This really has no adverse effects on OS X, so there isn't a great need to shut down ever. however, I do shut it down when hitting the road.

8. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Whenever i'm not on it. To keep it running otherwise would be absolutely stupid and pointless.

9. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Mines is shut down almost every night, electircity is far too expensive for it just to sit doing nothing while I'm asleep.

10. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

It turns off?

Arkanrais likes this.
  11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

lol.

12. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

I have to turn my PC off every night otherwise it turns my room into an oven, and I get baked, as it is I have to open the windows to keep the room temp down lol.

13. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

I turn it off when I'm not on it. It boots fast enough with the SSD, so there's no point in not turning it off.

14. Frank_Kehoe

Frank_Kehoe Folder

I only turn mine off when i go on holidays and as that is not very often
    they are on most of the time.

15. rolly74

rolly74 Digital Marionette

I picked weekly, but I'm not sure if that's true... Like a lot of others I got the torrent bug, gotta get those HD movie's coming in! Any reason to turn your computer off? Mine's never had an issue with it, I just keep my battery out of my laptop when it's fully charged and plugged in.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

It's on 24/7 unless there's a special reason why not to. Recently it's only really been off when swapping hardware from one case to another.

Sure the electricity costs, but it's not like the computer being on the extra 14 hours I don't use it would cause me to go bankrupt.

earlydoors: It may or may not be true that hard drives don't like starting up and heating up, but how on earth is anyone going to prove anything? General thumb of rule is that a HDD always fails anyway, so I don't really even bother wondering what's good for those things :D

EDIT: oh and about the heat, my room is pretty dang cold anyway. It's ~0 C outside and I'm yet to replace the insulation strips around the window... On a windy weather it's also windy inside.