1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Torchlight Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 31 Oct 2009.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I played the demo and I can easily understand why people say this is a rip off of Diablo !

It doesn't make it any less of a good game however

I might actually consider spending the 20$ ...

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Bought it when it first came out on pre-order, great game and the fact that it is just like Diablo is good. Personally I never even played Diablo on multiplayer due to Dialup internet.
    I may end up getting the MMO version but I have never been a fan of MMOGs.

3. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

even more yay :D

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Honestly, no I don't know why it's a single player only experience, this is the first I've heard of the game and the reason isn't mentioned in the review! I'm assuming it's based on what BladeMrk has just posted. In which case....yeah ok I can understand the reasoning behind it being singleplayer.....but still a meh from me!

5. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Simple: Small studio, didn't have the funds to develop a multiplayer component and, even if they had, the work would have delayed the game to the point that Diablo 3 would probably already be out and destroyed it. Thus, Runic create a polished singleplayer game for those that want it and use the funds for the next project; the MMO based in the same world.

Wasn't mentioned in the review because it isn't really relevant. A review is a critical appraisal of the product and shouldn't be an assessment of (or at all affected by) the politics surrounding the design choices.

6. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Who cares if it has multiplayer as long as it has a solid fun single player experience. What, you need someone to hold your hand to have fun in a game? ;-P

Is there going to be a retail release?

7. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

8. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Appreciate the thoughts about excluding the game politics etc, but with a game like this where so much of it was bound to be based on whether there was a multiplayer element, perhaps a brief nod towards the reasoning behind the omission would have been appropriate? At the very least it would have quelled many of the objections towards there being no multiplayer mode and at bettered general opinion of the game that apparently deserves a lot of credit!

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yes. Early 2010.

10. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

It seems that the reason that there is no multiplayer at the moment is because in 18-20 months they are planning to release an MMO version of Torchlight, so providing the online capabilities lacking from this...

11. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

does it really matter if it's diablo clone or not? it comes from diablo developers and to be honest waiting for diablo 3 doesn't seem to end :) i've got this game and i love it and love it more since there's a 'netbook mode' which allows me to play it on a laptop (vmware and xp virtual machine on macbook) and my friend plays it on really old laptop without problems.

I actually love the fact it's like diablo :), shame that mac version is being developed by a third party so no ETA :(

12. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Everybody stop moaning. This game is great!

Diablo never appealed to me so I haven't played them but I installed and loaded up Torchlight to see what it was like and have been playing it solidly for 2 days!

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Diablo 2 got better once everyone got broadband which was 3-4 years after it's release

on 56 kb it was unplayable. These days like Warcraft 3 it lives on it's user created
    mods and maps

14. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

That is the thing... people whom played the Diablo series properly, will feel right at home, down to the background music, that may or may not be a problem, but its the lack of co-op for me anyways.

15. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Well this has definitely hit the buy list. Looks fun!

I read elsewhere and confirmed on Runic's forum that there are currently two multiplayer mods in progress, both at proof of concept stage already so single player may not be where it stops. It's worth noting that this is on the DRM less version at present only though.

16. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

TorchEd should be coming out at some point today to expect lots of new quests in random dungeons, new weapons and rebalance mods to arrive very soon, by watching the tutorials on the mod tools being made available I am very impressed and will definately be getting my hands dirty with a couple of idea's.

17. vampalan

vampalan What's a Dremel?

LOL.. I gave in and bought the game, over my protests of non multi player, I hope its worth the mindless action I am looking for.
    Mass effect 1, is making me too tired, and my various other games are lost in the post.. bahh.. its cheaper to buy and have CD's sent over getting them digitally downloaded.

18. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I really want this game - I loved Diablo - but with no Linux client available, it's a no-sale. Shame.

19. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Grab the demo and see if it works with WINE.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Apparently it kinda-sorta does, but the DRM shafts things up. Also, WINE is fair enough for the stuff that I already own from my Windows days, but I'd rather give my money for new things to a developer that actually supports alternative operating systems - like Introversion or id Software.

Tags: Add Tags