1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win Gigabyte graphics cards by Overclocking!

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Claave, 1 Oct 2009.

1. GIGABYTE

GIGABYTE What's a Dremel?

Hello Andy,

Do you mean 68.2fps is a benchmark from Resident Evil 5?

Cheers.

2. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

As many others have already iterated, this really is an ass-backwards competition.

As an owner of a 275 who could compete I still believe its thoroughly stupid, there are a gobload of people on bit-tech that would chew off an arm to get any of the 3 cards (275/85/95) that are the baseline for even competing in the competition, let alone one of the prize cards... I mean what is this achieving anyway? "Wahey I got the second highest score in the competition with my watercooled overclocked GTX 295... and for my troubles I get... another GTX 295?"

Perhaps it would be an idea for Gigabyte to actually read though the competition draft before starting it in future and create one with a little more sense that would maybe benefit people that would be really motivated to enter a competition to get a decent upgrade.

Then again this might be a little optimistic :(

3. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Would have been better if they would have segregated ppl into more groups based on their hardware...and as a prize give out hardware a level up... That way there is more incentive to take part....
    Overall its a BS competition...

4. Hg

Hg The game known as life

Very unfair comp if you ask me, you’re basically giving people with already top of the range machines, a change to win further top of the range components, and excluding a major part of bit-tech members.
    The majority of us who have real live commitments and can’t afford to splash out all the time on new hardware, the way this comp should have been run is allowing everyone to upload their scores (no matter how good or bad) then x number of results to be picked at random to win the prizes on offer.
    Intel use to run a similar comp like this at multiplay’s i-series and gave the top scores on a benchmark suite even more top of the range hardware, silly if you ask me.

5. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

This competeion sucks. You have to have a mammoth rig to stand any chance of winning. Not fair at all.

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

was going to enter, glad i forgot as i look at 260 winners, all were using LN2 running unrealistic clock speeds

7. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Lol, I dont blame you, I had 446w of TECs to get my card to get it to the speeds I had it at and 4.7ghz worth of i7. I thought I would have had a banging chance as I "could" have got in at around the 90 points area IF res evil had ran correctly instead of messing about as it did. still wouldnt have got me anywhere mind lol.

Andy

8. wyx087

IMHO overclocking should be about obtaining most stable 24/7 clock. not about pushing the hardware to unimaginable length just for that few unnoticeable points.

i have tested my 4Ghz i5 750 to death (figuratively): Intel Burn Test ran for more than 1000 iterations, Prime for more than 24 hours and 99 Intel Burn Test for every possible combination of cores.

only now i can say my system is properly overclocked, it's stable and will never crash (will re-test in every 2 month for electro-migration)

9. GigaMan

GigaMan GIGABYTE UK

Clearly this competition is not for everyone :-(
    Plus everyone seems to have different opinions and other countries seem happy to compete and try to beat the score.

The point here is to show how the GIGABYTE VGA card can perform.
    Gigabyte has archived some very good scores and is now offering a competition for anyone that is willing to beat them.
    Maybe some competitor out there is willing to take on the challenge!

F1 is not for everyone, yet it attracts millions of people…

10. wyx087

F1 cars are able to drive the whole 50 laps with only a couple wheel changes and refuels.

the LN2 cooled cards Gigabyte used to achieve the "beat me" score cannot last a full day of Folding/stress testing with only electricity (the fuel) and LN2 topup (the wheel changes) without crashing.

all these top overclockers are luck really, pop-in and hope it doesn't crash. if racing engineers tweak their car like that, i doubt there are many drivers left to actually drive the cars

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

This is real overclocking. LN is just showing off (unless you could build a stable, long-term LN loop).

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Stop giving this competition the time of day bit-tech. It excludes pretty much everyone who actually could do with winning the prizes.

13. GigaMan

GigaMan GIGABYTE UK

Well, GIGABYTE Announces the Top 3 Winners for round 1 of the “Beat Me If You Dareâ€￾ Competition
    http://event.gigabyte.com.tw/BeatMeIfYouDareRound1/Winners.aspx

To kick off the contest, GIGABYTE’s in-house OC team set a new 3DMark Vantage world record with an overall score of 16,877 and an incredible GPU score of 15,297 with a blazing fast GPU clock of 1,100 MHz and memory clock of 1,400 MHz.
    It was then up to the contestants to see if they had the nerve and skill to beat the GIGABYTE record.
    There were 6 contestants in round one who were able to get their GPU clock over 1,100 MHz.
    Mr. Jon Sandström from Sweden, using a GIGABYTE GTX 260 Super Overclock Edition, successfully conquered the bottleneck and pushed his GPU clock up to an astounding 1,200 MHz.

The NVIDIA GTX 260 has proven time and time again to be an amazing overclocking GPU, continually allowing users to break and set higher and higher new world records.
    Thanks in part to the Beat Me If You Dare competition and all the overclockers’ amazing work, the GTX 260 world record ceiling has possibly been reached with Hipro5 from Greece setting a new 3DMark GPU world record at 16,658. GIGABYTE would like to congratulate all contestants for their amazing scores.