1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress .:Filtration:. - Finished - New Video

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Skorchio, 17 Oct 2009.

1. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

If in doubt, ghetto mount!!

And dude, this is looking pretty sick!! Sub'd ;)

2. Skorchio

Skorchio What's a Dremel?

Thanks all :)

I had loads planned for today but i got off to a bad start which got me slightly annoyed so i thought best not to do to much as i didnt want to jeperdise the work quality.

All i mananged to get done was a bit of tubeing on the mobo and some white heat shrink on the ATX. I have to say that the Sunbeam ATX took as crap, i ended up using the "6 pin power connecters" one, down each side, twist, bobs your uncle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

O yeh... the reason im shrinking them that much is.. well.. that would be telling, ill be working on this soon, should look MINT!

A pic of the 3 pumps finals sitting next to each other. I had another brain wave here as well. Im going to cut off the DDC mouting hole/brackets, paint the whole base white, and mount them to the perspex from underneath so you cant see any bolts etc. Should look ace!!

[​IMG]

And here is a pick of the bomb site!

[​IMG]

Also i have changed my plan slightly for the cd drive, hdds and 3rd rad, im not going to cut up the TJ07 bays (as cutting anything TJ07 is a sin) instead im going to make my own mounting.

It dawned on me today how much work i have ahead of me! And then i have to take it all apart for paint!!

More soon :)

Last edited: 4 Nov 2009
  3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Do you call that a bomb site? pfft

Seriously though, I like the idea of the plexi pumps :p

4. Skorchio

Thanks mate, should look ace them its all in, long way to go yet! I got allot done tonight but most of it was not on the main project. To Filtration I tapped all the rads to M4 and put long bolts through them and the fans.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notice how all the bolts line up (is that called OCD?)

I then set about getting my temp rig finished. This started off as an 4000+ amd with a 7600 GT, but has evolved to a E8400 @ 3.4 (ill get it higher when i have time to get it stable) and an 8800 GTS G92 512mb, does 14,000 in 3Dmark06.

Tonight i got the stock cooler back on the 8800 and put the whole thing in my old case as its been resting on CPC mag for a week or so :). I went a bit anal on it tho and got carried away searching for matching backing plates and i did all the screws blue but the GFX onces purple!! I then had to make the PSU cables as tidy as i could. I also had an Evo Cyclone memory cooler lying around so i stuck that on. Anyway, i now have a lovly system to game on whilst freeing up all my good hardware that will be going in to filtration.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic to show PSU cables.
    [​IMG]

5. Skorchio

Seems Palit/Gainward have made an addition to the PCB which makes these blocks not fully fit.

As you can see there is a black square just below the right hand side power connecter, says 1r2 on it, no idea what it is.

Old board,
    [​IMG]

Mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What i did.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Old 8800 bloch Vs GTX 275.
    [​IMG]

I also had a play around with the flooring today, give you a climps on what its going to be like :D I had to move the pumps right and forward as well, the gfx card is just so dam big!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im going to play with the "boltless" pump mounting tomorrow morning.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2009
  6. Skorchio

A pic of how the pumps will mount. I can now cut off the mounts and paint the base white. Also means I can have the wire coming out the back so the pumps will but up nicely to each other.

[​IMG]

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Love the positioning of the DDC's dude :thumb:

8. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

I love that lighting setup so far

Or maybe it's just the way your camera's flash ligt the floor, but either way, nice :thumb:

9. Skorchio

Thanks guys. bigsharn, there are 2x CC's under the floor with loads of special film that spreads the light out :) I will defo need to do to LEDS me thinks or im going to get shadows in places. See how it goes.

10. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Nice use of the 90 degree connectos on your motherboard. I think a lot of people don't realize that plumbing three loops is almost as much trouble as assembling three different computers. Nice eye candy!

11. Skorchio

Yes it is, and used to be even worse before decent angled connectors where on the market.

Very minor update. Been a bit slow recently, parts keep holding me up. I started on the pumps. Cutting off the standard mounts, getting the wiring to come out the bottom and braided white :)

[​IMG]

12. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

No it's called "registering" (or "timing") and high end gunsmiths- as well as competition clockmakers- do it as a matter of course.
    I once read an article about America's oldest Rolls-Royce dealership (in Indiana, IIRC) and all the screws on the wallplates (lightswitches, outlets, etc.) were aligned like that.

Today we might call it OCD and consider it a sickness, back then it was called "craftsmanship".

Times change.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2009
  13. Skorchio

I suppose your right, their used to be more quality in most things..

14. Skorchio

Right another small update, at this pace this build is going to take a year or so :p

This is the final design for the front bays, 2 removable shelfts where the HDD and laptop slot CD drive will bolt to and a lower compartment for the 3rd rad, the red blocks are how I'm bolting it together, unless Andy has any better ideas?
    [​IMG]

Also i got my LEDS today and whilst in the server room at work i was looking for a big bit of cardboard to act as a base to hold them all together whilst i solder them but i hit the jackpot and found a stiff piece of foam which will form an excellent base for the LEDS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Wait - are you going to use 2.5" HDDs? They look so tiny..

16. bagman

bagman Minimodder

nice work i really like the floor you made

17. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

I really like the glowing floor. So much so that I have been planning to do something very similar in my next build.

Keep up the hard work and happy modding.

18. Skorchio

Thanks for the comments guys :), Validus, keep watching because its a PITA so after i done it i should be able to give you some pointers.

Using 2.5" as this is te size of SSD's Kingston have release a 40gb £80 drive, might get 2 of them in Raid 0.

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

I really like your design man! Very simple and neat but yet fantastic!!! :) Mod on man!

20. Sterkenburg

Sterkenburg To mod or not to mod...

A lot of people use floors to hide rads and pumps and cabling, but not very many people can pull it off as well as you have! As long as you can fit everything under there without making any weird shadows, it should go really well with the different coloured loops.