1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice My FIRST EVER Build!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gingbeard, 6 Nov 2009.

1. gingbeard

gingbeard What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, I plan to work on my first EVER PC project! I hope this is posted in the right place.

Here are my project details, any thought, feelings and comments are more than appreciated!

Details:
    I'm after a PC for the following uses - to torrent over 24 to 48 hour periods (longer if poss), To use as a baisc PC - email, facebook etc. And to be able to plug into my TV (just via VGA, nothing too special), so It needs to be able to cope with .AVI files

Questions:
    Could A Mini-ITX built cope with this? Or would I run the risk of overheating? Ive been told that small PC's just dont cope.

Hardware:
    Currently I am concidering:
    Case = Noah 3988 Mini-ITX Case
    Motherboard = Intel D945GCLF Atom Motherboard (ATOM 230 processor)
    HDD = 320GB 3.5in SATA HDD
    RAM = 1GB
    OS = Windows XP

Any ideas/help/comments please - Like I say - I'm new to this! :thumb:

2. gingbeard

Really quite paranoid that I wont be able to run the spec mentioned without it overheating - Am I overthinking things?

Also - I'm after something that is quiet and low power - hence the idea of a mini-itx.

Any other ideas?

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Atom is a good choice if low power is a concern since your leaving it on all the time.

it will handle small tasks such as web browsing etc but i wouldnt bank on it been able to play HD content smoothly without hardware acceleration from the GPU.

it wouldnt overheat unless you install the CPU cooler incorrectly or maybe cover all the vent holes up in the case.

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Swap the motherboard out for an Atom 330 ION board it should handle playback a lot easier

Ask a student friend to get hold of Windows 7 for you, should be cheaper than XP

If you're that bothered about temps get a cheap crappy ATX case and a couple of fans, but it should be fine

5. gingbeard

ok, so what about basic .avi files - no HD, just usual dvd rips? Can Mini-ITX be run for long periods of time then?

6. gingbeard

Student friend? Oh yes, I know the kind :thumb:
    I only said XP because I thought windows 7 would be a bit too much for it...

7. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

id look at the 330 IOn platofrm that can handle HD content very well. but if its a little too pricey check out a M-AtX board with a low end AMDx2 4800+ or something.

id also opt for 2GB not 1 as windows 7 will happily eat that 1GB leaving you not alot for your DVD rips etc