1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Carmack: Rage may drop dedicated servers too

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Nov 2009.

1. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

Nothing like a bit of controversy to provide free publicity, hes just trying to get his name attached ot this scandal.

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Head scratching this one. On the one hand it sounds totally stupid (like MW2), but on the other I hold Carmack in such high regard I can't believe he'd do something so totally bizarre.

Unless he's planning something rather advanced, like (blue sky thinking time) some sort of virtual server that dissapears when people exit, but maintains a permement IP address that kicks into a new server when anyone else signs on. Otherwise though, it just doesn't make any sense, surely from the guy who invented Deathmatch he can see that?

3. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

ID software's multiplayer has been a piece of shitez after Quake 3 Arena. I hope RAGE has co-op though.

4. labr@t

labr@t What's a Dremel?

guess i'll stick with css and tf2 bit longer then

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

multiplay should start a petition

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

**** you, Carmack. **** you.

You might be a coding genius, but betraying the players that paid you is just stupid.

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

***Carmack said that the idea wasn't definite at this point and that the team at id Software would be watching Modern Warfare 2 carefully to see how well the idea of using listen servers might work***

Given that statement, I think it's a sure thing that he will have dedicated servers because as we all know MW2 is going down like a **** coverd lead baloon and nobody will want to be seen copying anything even close to that mistake.

8. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

For all of those raging against Carmack, he created the FPS genre and it was his coding that allowed 1) fps to work at all 2) for them to be playable on the internet 3) He has been the driving force behind every major advance of the fps until valve showed up and now shares being the driving force with them. When someone here accomplishes 1/1000th of what he has in PC Gaming then maybe you can open your mouths (to praise him).

I signed the petition against IW in the dedi scandal, I idnt think it was a good idea. Carmack said he was thinking about it for Rage, not that a final decision has been made.
    Now I know that you are all thinking you are the smartest person in the room (and while you sit there with your blanket with sleeves thinking you are the King of your Castle) just chill out and wait.
    Trusting someone like Carmack is always a good idea, since he is usually smarter than everyone else in the room (combined).
    Maybe FPSs are moving away form the dedi model to something else. Maybe not, all the sky is falling crap and pointless assertions make posters look stupid, not Carmack.
    We shall see.

Yours in Trust of Carmack,
    Star*Dagger

P.S. Full disclosure, I know him and know him to be not only a God of PC Gaming, but a great person as well.

9. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Most of the money from an individual sale goes to the shops, not the publishers and developers.

This game is going to sell millions, 180,000 isn't really gonna dent that.

10. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Well, if Rage is up to the same standard as Doom 3, I'll not be losing any sleep over this, especially as it is likely to not be ported to linux like their previous games.

Why alienate the group of users capable of keeping a franchise going for years? Look at EA's multiplayer games outside the Battlefield series. When EA decide to turn the servers off, that's it, game over. Meanwhile, users can host their own BF2 servers and it is still going strong. I've little doubt that people are still buying BF2 from retailers in decent quantities too.

11. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Carmack is more interested in building his rocket to the moon than creating a decent video game these days. Id are so rooted in the past now that I can't get worked up to much about this news. It's probably just a gimmick to get people talking about the game.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

actually it depends where you shop from, between 20 and 25% goes to small retailers

13. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

^this x100. people are getting mad over something that may not happen. And until MW2 is released then none of us will know how the multiplayer option will work out.

Meh... I remember when Steam first started and everybody wanted to boycott it over spyware & privacy issues, as well as alledged changes to the multiplayer experience. It didn't happen.

14. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

See what you ****ing did Infinity Ward, now you have others following your lead... I wasnt excited about this game but now for sure im done.

15. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Pc gamers are being negleted everywhere... as the modding community here at Bit Tech

16. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Hey it's his and his company's game, he can do what he likes. but even thinking out loud that you're going to make the same changes to your comeback game when you're the Doom-Meister was dumb.

Granted Q4 was pirated into Oblivion (though they contributed to that by being lazy about the story and making the MP QIII with better graphics) so they would have reason to protect their product but they need every single sale they can. Put it this way I was considering a 360 depending on the deal this Christmas but Rage isn't a must-buy title by any stretch, I'd catch up with GTA IV first of all.

17. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I'll be 6 feet under before they get me to do all my gaming on consoles.

On a side note...

Why is PC gaming so unreachable for a lot of people, thereby making PC gaming less rewarding financially to devs/pubs? Even though we all love PCs like our lives depend on them, most people are not like us and don't have inquisitive, PC-literate brains.

Blue screens ... illegal operations ... random disappearing windows ... back-to-desktop crashes ... reboots ... 30 second hangs ... upgrades! A massive part of owning a PC is upgrading the buggers - I love it, you love it, Joe Bloggs down the road hasn't got a friggin clue about it, and likely never will.

We can work these errors/bugs/problems out and fix them, or patch them, and stop it happening again, because we know this PC voodoo-magic stuff and we don't let it beat us, or if we cannot fix it then we'll damn well sort it out however we need to to get to the solution. We all know it's just a matter of time, patience, forum posts, maybe tech helpers located anywhere around the world will eventually answer our prayers or we'll answer theirs to find solutions.

Consolers, even though they are limited to their lack of intuitive controls, lack of decent communication devices and general lack of any friendly social communication devices or features, lack of multi-tasking, lack of work-friendly software (ie. Office, etc), have gaming exactly how they need it - spoon fed to them by simple mechanics, simple gameplay, simple controls.

And to sum up, I guess the devs/pubs are favouring them over us because there are more of them, hence the money is with consoles.

Is the 'PC Gaming Alliance' an impotent task force that has done fk'all for PCs and PC owning families? By now we should have a simpler set of rules for PCs that enable people to negate most, if not all of the errors and problems associated with hardware conficts and upgrading. But instead we are now at a stage where we get daily news stories of PC games being ports from consoles, or lack of dedicated servers ... who would have thought 1 year ago, that companies would be making PC MP games minus dedicated servers?

A quote from: www.pcgamingalliance.org

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Minimodder

Whilst I disagree with the removal of dedicated servers, IW are trying something new. If it falls flat on it's arse then they may release a patch to bring dedicated servers back. I really can't see other companies going the IW way if it fails. Why would they do something that they know is going to fail?

If it fails and they still stick to the p2p system then they're idiots and will not sell many games in the future. This will cause PC gaming to slow and probably fail altogether.

However, if it's successful and we've all been whining for no reason then all should remain good. Not sure about clans because I've never been in one.

So it's best to see how it goes and then complain because until then, IW will not listen to any of us.

19. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

If Rage drop dedicated servers they may as well just piss off and not bother developing for the PC.

Tags: Add Tags