1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other MW2 Single Player

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-23315, 8 Nov 2009.

1. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I agree with the not seeing things alot of the time and i would knock it down less then 9/10 so far.
    Reserve that judgment for when i have completed the single player campaign.

2. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

Yep, have to agree with that. Whole chapter felt a little sordid although there is an obvious place for it in the story line.

Still it creates an interesting moral dilemma in gaming. Do you just walk along and let the scene play out or do you pull the trigger to the point of reloading? Its not as though anyone actually makes you have to pull the trigger on the innocents..... I believe some gamers may actually be feeling a twinge of guilt if they joined in!:blush:

Ive got no choice but to play the single player campaign through now after the well publicised debacle that was the PS3 multiplayer experience..... but Im sure that little problem will turn up in another post!

3. Jeevus

Jeevus Minimodder

I think the airport scene would have made more sense if they continued it for at least another mission. It was just too brief.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

To me that dilemma is what justifies the experience. It's an 18 Cert game and warns you of that content ahead of time, so anyone who wonders into it has no excuse and should be mature enough to approach it in a sensible and thoughtful enough manner to realise that it does have a place in the story (even if just establishing baddies are bad) as well as establishing a very important and real moral talking point.

It's not contextual-less trash full of swearing and tits and while, granted it isn't Shakespeare either, I applaud it for that. Incredibly bold of them.

5. Lankius Maximus

Lankius Maximus Minimodder

I agree, it was a very emotive bit of gaming history and I dont think it will be possible for a games developer to incorporate a similar scene in any future game without some one mentioning this. It was a complete one off and actually worked in its context.

Still feel slightly ashamed that I had to reload though:worried:

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

legit question here boys; after all the cuts that were made to the game ... I was wondering if there was still an 'invert mouse' option ?

I was thinking about how pissed i'd be if I had bought the game only to find out I couldn't inverse my Y axis :hehe:

7. Haramzadeh

Haramzadeh Son of Sin

I'm just a dissappointed that it's pretty much as short as the first one. But I guess they make up for it for the level of intensity and action that those few hours give you.

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Yes, as a fellow 'inverter', I can confirm you can indeed invert :thumb:

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Gee I've finally found two people using that feature. For the past 10 years I've always wondered why the hell should I even be able to invert the Y-axis. Could you please enlighten me on why do you want it inverted?

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Just because games are an entertainment medium it doesn't mean they are making light of such a situation, in the same way that films are an entertainment medium and Schindler's List wasn't a laugh-a-minute Baysplosion-fest.

Are you guys actually outraged by this, or are you just pretending to be outraged because you think you should be, or because other people/the tabloids are. If it's the latter, I kindly ask you to STFU and GTFO :thumb:

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

excellent, that might come in handy if ever they patch the game and make it actually worth the money :D

When I was 11/12 I played my first FPS (Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II) and the mouse was inverted (probably by my brother) so I just played that way. There was no leaning curve other than learning how to control a character with a keyboard and a mouse. I've been playing inverted for years now and would never, ever switch back

12. Deact

Deact What's a Dremel?

I'm enjoying the singleplayer but at as i bought as copy for my PS3 the servers are down for multiplayer. The airport level screams "because we can" but at least they give you mutiple options to opt out and even skip the level so in the end if you don't like it its your own fault for selecting yes all those times and it sseems this fact has been glossed over alot.

13. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

After the snow storm level there was a grin on my face, ear to ear. It was wiped straight off with the airport scene. I don't think I enjoyed a single moment of the shooting. Yes, I did open fire and shot plenty. In character or whatever. No qualms with armed opponents.

It is there for the shock value, but it's done well and I do actually commend them for having the balls to do something like that. Not many devs do. Perhaps because their egos have inflated so much they know that they can get away with it.

Overall, I'm 7 missions in and loving it. Very fast pacing. The favela levels were a bit mental with no time to enjoy the scenery as there wasn't a moment to stop shooting.

Graphically, it's very impressive, the sound is fantastic and the few tweaks here and there are good.

9/10 so far for me. 1 off for having the pacing a bit too hectic at times. My jaw dropped with the end of the snowmobiles....

14. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I don't want to post in the MW2 review thread because that's getting tempers hot but I have something to say.

I bought the game after reading Baz and CardJoe's instant replies to each of my assertions. Yep, $50 after discount.

Honestly, I'm screwed. I wish I could sell it but I can't.

The SP is over. I finished in two sittings playing 'Hardened' or whatever they call it. The only good thing was that it looks good, runs fast and the gameplay is as insanely fun as CoD4 was. I don't use lean (I'm too hardcore!) anyway, so I'm not too fussed that it was dropped. The plot was a bit sketchy and excessively fantastic but meh, it's a game.

MP sucks. For someone used to CS:S, TF2 and CoD4, it was an insanely annoying experience. I am going to give it another whirl when more people have got it but really, I can't see myself adjusting to the crappy lobby/IWNet system. If it's this poor on a University 80Mbps line, I shudder to think of how it's going to be when I return to my trusty 384kbps connection back home.

I feel like a fool because I'm fifty bucks poorer with 6 hours of gaming to show for it.

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I really hated the sounds on the MP and am going to give some con about those. The guns all sounds like they were made by Fisher Price (or stolen from Starwreck), and then there are the constant freaking reward-spam with the reallllly annoying sound effects. I want the guns to sound like they were weapons and the reward-stuff not to block the whole view and always be a two-minute audio chaos. Damnit.

16. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

There was a big deal made in the press about the 'Airport scene' but honestly I'm more shocked about something else entirely.

After the Shepherd twist, the direction completely changes and you're basically killing American soldiers for the rest of the game. Maybe it's because the game hasn't been out long, but I'm actually pleasantly surprised so far there hasn't been an overreacted public outcry (especially from Americans).

While the justification was there for Price/Soap's actions, the soldiers you kill were apparently innocents not aware of Shepherd's true intentions. Add that to some anti-American comments made during the Gulag mission.

Anyway, while I didn't have a problem with the missions myself, I'm interested to know what some of our resident Americans on the forums feel about it. Are you guys fed up yet with your military constantly being portrayed as gullible, easily manipulated meat-heads?

Last edited: 12 Nov 2009
  17. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Inserted spoiler tags in the appropriate place for you!

How do you know they were American soldiers? It was an international task force. And as the game never really explains the motivation for Shepherd's actions, it's a bit hard to say who's on the right side.

18. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Yes it was an international task force, but during 'those missions' all the voices I heard on the stolen comms radio were American.

While the story at times had the coherency of a drunk toddler, I thought it was pretty clear
    Shepherd
    was pissed at America's complacency after the events of MW1 and was most definitely not on the 'right side'. He wanted WWIII.

19. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I managed to secure one of the "Prestige" editions, thanks to a gift voucher.

Was really looking forward to the game. But I gotta say, the Sp mode was just awful. :grr:

The graphics were great, the fluidity of the animation, the background effects, no problem. The sound was good, etc.

What truly *sucked* for me was the AI and the never ending stream of enemies. They just keep respawning until you manage to find that 'load point' or 'check point'.

For example the Brazil stage - the just kept coming and coming. It's almost as if the developer KNEW the game would be short so they tried to draw it by hoping you'd die endlessly trying to progress.

I dunno. I really don't like that sort of thing. I prefer war FPS' to have more strategy, more 'realism' in how the AI behaves. Not a torrent of people running into your gun sights and more people ducking and hiding. And the endless respawn? :wallbash: :wallbash:

S'pose on the plus side, I have a pair of night vision goggles that, surprisingly, actually work!

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

thank god, i thought i was the only one who thought invert was the best way to play :rock: