1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Quickie - Windows 7: 32 or 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sotu1, 9 Nov 2009.

1. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

just a really quick/stupid question probably but I don't know which one I should go for. I'm using my PC for games, building a rig with 6GB ram and more RAM coming from the GPU. Does the 32bit version still have that 4GB cap?

N17 dizzi likes this.
  2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

sure does a 32Bit OS can only address 4Gb of RAM total.

64-bit is the way forward my friend embrace it and walk proud knowing you can access the full 6Gb of RAM.

sotu1 likes this.
  3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

brilliant, thanks for that! thread can be closed now :D

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

4GB or more RAM or not so much RAM.. 64-bit should be a no-brainier. The way I see it, is like a mini overclock for 32-bit applications (10-15% faster) as the whole OS is in 64-bit, as Windows is in 64-bit it's even more responsive and fast, more secure, and of course run 64-bit application and coming up 64-bit games.

Oh, just a heads up, once you installed Windows 7 64-bit. Install Shark007 (free) codec pack, with it's x64 component. This codec pack doesn't interfere with Windows built-in codecs which are superb codecs, provides you with 64-bit codecs, support thumbnail preview for all kinds of videos, and finally, it allows you to unlock Windows Media Player 12 64-bit, to be able to use your 64-bit codecs.

Enjoy your new PC :D

5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Actually, if Microsoft wanted to they could support 4GB+ on 32bit systems. Alas, they don't and it's tricky anyway.

6. GoodBytes

No no no no!!!!!!
    Stop inventing things. x86 (32-bit) cannot address more than 4GB NO MATHER WHAT YOU DO.
    Anything you try, will only trick YOU and won't reflect reality. I did a full university course on processor architecture.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

+1 for GoodBytes.

The 4GB "limit" also exists on Linux, *BSD, Solaris and OS X, it's not just "some MS crap". It's architectural.

8. GoodBytes

And to add... Let's assume you are correct, Microsoft gains NOTHING from it. In fact, Microsoft loses A LOT (probably in the billions), as now they have to FULLY support 2 Operating System. The 32-bit and the 64-bit.

9. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Linux kernel can be compiled with 32 bit support for up to 16gb of ram I think GoodBytes, although you are right on everything else.

10. Arniegeddon

Arniegeddon Harmonic Divebomb

The only problem i've had in gaming terms on x64 is that my Play.com USB/PS2 joypad adaptor won't work. Would be nice but I can survive without it.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

While it's true that 32bit covers a 4GB address space, most, if not all, processors manufactured for the last 5-10 years actually have 36bit addressing. There are actually some 32bit Windows versions for the server market that enable more address space than 4GB.

Like I said, it's difficult to do 4GB+ in a 32bit OS, but it's not impossible. However, one might very well argue that it's really not worth the effort and I agree.

So, no, I'm not inventing things. And I have about 25 years of experience in working with micro processor architectures (I can flaunt my knowledge too :)).

mediapcAddict likes this.
  12. GoodBytes

I did not mean to redesign the CPU architecture... cause if you go at that level... just make is 64-bit... As for 36-bit CPU's... the extra bits are not for instructions from software/processes running on the O.S. These are still 32-bit providing 32-bit long instructions. The extra bits are for other purposes such as flag status or extended operation code, to increase speed, but the limit is still there.

They are many ways to force more RAM support on a 32-bit.. but you have to remember that these are tricks which actually can result in slower performance when reaching 4GB more or RAM. An example of this, is to have several time 4GB of RAM on your HDD, and the operating system load/unload these modules depends on software needs. Obviously, we know how HDD (or even SSD's) are much slower, therefor such solution is well a solution, but not a smart one. And remember, I am talking about DESKTOP level processors, not servers or non-x86 based architecture.

13. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Anyone interested in reading up on how 4GB+ is possible with a 32bit OS might want to read this article on Wikipedia.

Of specific interest is the following quote:
    In essence, what the above quote means is that (32bit) Windows (XP SP2+, Vista and beyond) already runs in a mode where more than 4GB theoretically could be used.

Rumor (urban legend?) has it that the "driver compatibility reasons" mostly refer to nVidia's graphics drivers. And I wasn't talking about server or non-X86-compatible processors. Most standard "desktop" processors support 36bit adressing mode.

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

or use Media Player Classic Home Cinema and dont download any codecs. :)

15. GoodBytes

Yea but that is 32-bit, and a ugly ass UI.

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

PAE is indeed a workaround for the 4GB limit, but why not just run 64-bit instead?

17. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I never claimed it was a bad idea to run 64bit. Actually, it's the best idea. What I said was that running with 4GB or more isn't actually dependent on 64bit. It could be done with a 32bit OS, albeit not easily.

For what it's worth I made my initial comment, because of the endlessly stated (and inherently false) statement that 4GB+ *requires* a 64bit OS. :)

Last edited: 12 Nov 2009
  18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Ooh lots of posts since i was last here! Thanks for the info guys, esp. about the codec pack, I'll look into it :)

19. GoodBytes

You can set the forum to notify you via e-mail when a new posts arrive to subscribe or thread you posted/created. It only notifies you for 1 new post since you last checked it, so you wont' have 20 e-mails for 1 thread.

20. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

What I want to know is..

Is there any way to run 16 bit applications like Grim Fandango (awsome game) on a 64bit windows 7?