1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Nov 2009.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

TWOOOOOO HUNDRED!

comments.

EDIT: Bah, #201 according to the forum.

2. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Wasn't the last gaming podcast substantially about those two...? I listened to one the other day...

3. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

Haha, pwned.

4. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

Lovin the single player but a couple of things made me laugh...

Early in the game just after u pop whatshisface in the legs and you leave him to mr electricity , ur next task is to find ur way through the city streets... As this mission commences you can see a load of terrorist in the background running across the rooftops to get to you.. Just watch them for a while, each one following the exact same route at a set distance apart, it reminded me of early Mario games in the 80's. The other thing is when you get killed, you can follow the exact same route and know exactly where each enemy will be sitting. This is no brainer bad AI programming and I have to say, the biggest let down in the single player for me.

5. Nikols

Nikols What's a Dremel?

...Oh and I'm talking about the pc version

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I never spotted this post before, but the irony seems to have been lost on most people.

My big beef - in case there isn't anyone who isn't already sick to death of my opinions on the issue - is that people seem to think that a good console game must also be considered good if ported directly to PC.

A console game with keyboard support is not good enough for the PC. The fact that you can only state that the 'PC version is arguably better' than the console version says it all. PC games shouldn't be arguably better - they should be leagues better. I don't spend £250 per year keeping my kit reasonably up to date in order to games that are throttled back to level of a 5yr old games console.

How many people here have a large HD tv? How many of these people have either Sky HD, HD-DVD or Bluray? And how many of those buy films on VHS video to watch on a 2-head VCR?
    Imagine if Sony Entertainment decided to release the latest and greatest films on Bluray, but had the sourced from a VHS master? It just wouldn't happen...

Very succinct. +1

I believe that we needed for hands-on reviews to be published for making a final judgement, but I don't think you must buy the game to be able to cast an opinion about it. It's not like if I buy a copy that I might actually find that my version actually does have a lean capability, does have 32 or 48 player dedicated servers, or does have modding support....

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Off with their Heads!!! lol. (IW's not BTs, we will keep you guys around for a while)

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

:eyebrow:

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Why is that a surprise?

IW is controlled by Activision: the people who freely admitted they would rinse the Guitar Hero brand for every cent it was worth: 5 games a year.

10. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

11. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Well I compleated the single player and had a few round of the multi.

In general a good game? Yes. Still better then the console versions? Oh yes!

Not fully lived up to its well recorded potential? Unfortunatly true.

I can understand the appeal of matchmaking (idiot proof), but despite 4 bars of ping I still certanly felt the lag and got teleporting. Do Live players seriously think thats acceptable?

The thing I really dont understand is why the matchmaking cant be placed ontop of dedicated support? More so when they already have the frame work. It could even be hooked up with a server matching system a la BF2. The best of both world is easily within reach no? :eyebrow:

Because of this I can see most MW2 players jumping ship the moment BF:BC2 is out. Then the ones that are left have a problem finding good hosts and the game dies... actualy thats probably exactly what activision want... :grr:

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Well, when you set the bar low...most xbox live players are just grateful their consoles are still working. (at least, that was my view when I had one)

On a more serious note, if we are going to have multi-platform releases for the foreseeable future, the PC title should have something that distinguishes itself from the console version - take Mirrors Edge and Batman Arkham Asylum - yes, console ports, but the PC versions had Physx and better visuals. Assassins creed had DX10 features in the PC version, GTA4 also had better textures and a greater draw distance. MW2 from what I have seen is just a straight port from the 360 version, but with keyboard & mouse support enabled - probably a flag or two in the config file that was commented out on the 360...still DX9, still the tired old COD2 engine with a few bells & whistles added...but a relatively high RRP.

Still, as Bindibadgi points out, we shouldn't expect anything different from Activision.

13. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

Anyone who plays this for five minutes will see that when you get thrown into a game with people on ANOTHER CONTINENT, it lags like hell.

Even in the best case scenario, on a 180mbps connection at university, the ping to servers in canada and america is over 120ms.
    On a residential connection, you're looking at 200 and above to connect to someone in America. And don't be fooled by the 4 bars representing ping... 4 bars only means less than 100ms, 3 bars means between 100-200 ms, so even 3 bars isn't an acceptable connection by anybodies standards.

14. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Loving the single player but the multiplayer is shite in comparison to MW, finding a decent game is a nightmare.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

[​IMG]

Jesus. The graphics, man. I think I just came.

16. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Hmm... anyone notice that the PC's in the game appear to be Lian-Li PC-60's I think?

/Hangs head in nerd shame

17. 7earitup

7earitup What's a Dremel?

I have played multiplayer for 30+ hours so far and in that time I have only played on probably 5 unplayable servers, most of which eventually migrated to a new host and played fine.

Stop your bitching. I find this game ages better than CoD4. More weapons, unlocks, challenges, attachments, equipment, - everything. There is so much more to do, so much more variety in the maps, and a better play experience overall.

At this point I could care less about dedicated servers or leaning.

18. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

Same here, I"m getting addicted, I've been dreaming about deathmatch and express deathmatch at night.

@Psytek - get a better internet connection. playing through a university server is bad, the proxies, no ability to open the ports on the router. Do you not have yours set to only find games under 100ms? Mine does it automatically and always seems to find a game under 100

@Rocket_Knight64 - yeah I noticed that too :S did you notice in the terminal scene, the monitors look suspiciously like Dell monitors too

19. skybarge

skybarge just chilling at work

20. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Let me first be clear on this.....I'm a PC enthusiast who just so happens to currently own or have owned all the consoles (except a Wii and the original xbox and gamecube)

After all the gross neglect towards the P.C. community that Infinity Ward has shown with MW2 a game I remind you that became popular only because of the P.C. community, a game that would be nothing without the devote support and love from the P.C. community. A game that spawned a 1000's other titles because of the devotion that the PC community has shown for this series.

Call Of Duty for those who are confused. This series was born, raised, and matured on the PC and became a global success one mouse one keyboard and one video card update at a time.

I'm appalled by Infinity Ward and their snotty attitudes towards the community that made it all possible for them. How dare infinity ward turn their backs on the PC community and flip us the middle finger by not only giving the PC a b$ll sh!t console port but making it virtually useless as far as PC gaming goes.

I can careless about consoles because they will be dead after this Christmas, and you sleaze bag developers will be kissing the PC communities butts again once you realize that Console gaming is dying not PC gaming. Modern Warfare will not be bought by me unless ifinity Ward takes the time to hang themselves and let TREYARCH do a proper PC build as they seem to remember that the PC community is how they became famous.

Everytime a developer pisses on the PC community that developer is basically digging their own grave. The high priced PS3 is starting to surpass the XBOX 360 in monthly sales meaning Sony is going to unleash the power of the PS3 and stomp a mud hole in Microsoft. intern to compete Microsoft is going to release another console at around the $500 or $600 price point because it will basically be a PC. No one will buy it because at $600 you can get a decent gaming rig and this will be the end of console gaming.

And all the developers who sold their souls pissing on the PC community will see their products pirated to hell and their companies bankrupted.
    So remember you can't make a console game or any game for that matter without a P.C.
    How the hell can 9 on 9 be so fun when every online game server that host 16 versus16 is full?
    No dedicated server means no dedication towards the PC.
    I hope Infinity Wards spends it money well because it's the last dollar your going to make.
    Unfortunately everything gets pirated now a days but only the gaming developers use piracy as an excuse to make crappy products. I saw Transformers 2 over a friends house the second day it was released but the movie still grossed like a billion dollars and I still went to the theater to see it.

Why because it was a quality product geared towards the big screen environment.
    Piracy will go down when developers get back to making games towards the P.C. enviroment and not just making crappy ports.

So basically companies like Infinity Ward are killing gaming period. Modern Warfare 2 sucks and you know it. 4 hour single player mode with a half ass crippled multilayer mode this mess is more hype than quality. As far as a console game this crap is the complete opposite of Halo 3 or Killzone 2 and anyone who reviews Modern Warfare 2 with scores similar to Halo 3 or Killzone 2 are hypercritical and liars. Stop buy game that spend more money on advertisement then development time and your game system no matter which one will be happier.

Tags: Add Tags