1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress MiniMe - Smallest (ever?) Watercooled mITX PC - 22/03/2010 COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by oliverw92, 27 Aug 2009.

1. AcidDagger

AcidDagger What's a Dremel?

Great job

Nice sponser :thumb:

2. haakon.t

haakon.t :)

Looks pretty sweet! That keyboard is awesome :D

I think the text on the pillow means "Rest in peace, my gamer", but don't quote me on it, my german isn't particularly good.

3. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Thats it, Ruhe in Frieden means Rest in Peace, my gamer should explain itself.
    Though that sentence sounds a bit weird to me, I don't know what they want to say o_O

4. PaulGreyhead

PaulGreyhead What's a Dremel?

Looking really great so far. Like the workmanship too, top class. Looking forward to the next update.
    (Any spare Enermax pens? :D)

5. oliverw92

oliverw92 What's a Dremel?

Haha thanks for the translation guys :p Yeah odd phrase, maybe it 'means' something else in german.

I will be running a freebie thread on OCN for some of this stuff :p

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Nope... as a german native speaker I can definately tell it says and means: "Rest in piece, my gamer!" :hehe:

7. infi

infi What's a Dremel?

isn't it obvious?

it's a pillow - where you can rest... in peace :D

8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I really like that keyboard, I am debating whether to get that one or a Logitech DiNovo mini for a media PC mod I am planning.

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

Very very nice. You are doing a great job, I knew I had seen that saxo alloy somewhere before, Marcus always does a good job from what I have seen.

10. n0va

n0va Burnin'!

Haha dude, that really was obvious >.< Thought they were hinting to the usual Rest in Peace written on graves, which is sometimes used in Germany as well. (I am German actually)

Simple solution -.- :wallbash:

Still, I really like the gear you got there. Enermax fans Cheesecake :D

11. oliverw92

Oh my god lol :duh: Howdidinotseethat

This is currently unreleased :p So you would have to wait a bit. I can ask Alexandra when it is being released if you like?

I can't wait to get the stuff back :p 2 weeks sounds like an age, but i know it will pass quickly. In comparison to how long this project has been going it isn't much tbh!

Can't wait to test the fans :p

Just found out, i had a mention on The Mod Brothers podcast :D

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Thanks for the offer but I can wait, this project I am thinking of wont take place until the new year anyway :D.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Congrats on the MOTM nomination!

john

14. oliverw92

Thankyou very much! Was really pleased when i saw! Shame they have put very bad pictures up, does anyone know who i shoudl contact to ask about putting better ones up? He managed to choose a picture with my first shoddy soldering attempt on too :p

15. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Congrats my friend on the nomination! Sorry for my delay I ve been a bit busy lately but anywayz bro good luck and keep on modding!!!! :)

16. oliverw92

Update #18

No i'm not dead! Just been having a few issues with things thats all. The biggest was that my iMac died. I use the iMac for all work related things including posting worklogs (i have a nice workflow of programs that allow me to really quickly do updates and also keep track of photos) so i did not want to release an update without using the iMac since it would be a pain to keep track of things.

My other issue is that i havn't heard from the lasercutter/powdercoater in over 3 weeks, which is the only thing holding the project up now. I've practically given up on him now, so i have done some revisions in 2D Design and i'm preparing to order some white 5mm acrylic to make the shell this week. The main problem with not hearing from him, however, is that he has half the stuff for the project (feet, fan grill, PSU top) so i need to get this back or i'm a bit stuffed!

So i'm hoping to have the project wrapped up by the end of next weekend, not sure if this will happen or not since there a few good parties scheduled (mainly a boat party on the Thames tomorrow!) and i may not be in a very good state for modding! Still i will try my best.

I have been doing some laser cutting since a few things needed changing (fillport was in the wrong place etc etc).

I also did a test run of MiniMe outside of the box with all the wcing. The only leak was from the Bitspower Crystal T Block, when i had a look there were cracks running through it so i ordered another one.

My Crucial 64GB SSD also arrived! This is the prize i chose after winning the extended project competition at school with my previous build, The Bloo Box (photos can be seen in the first post of this worklog). Can't wait to start testing this thing!

[​IMG]

New side panel with all my sponsors.

[​IMG]

Switch Plate

[​IMG]

Front lower fan grill and rear upper fan grill (both made of tinted acrylic)

[​IMG]

Front lower fan grill

[​IMG]

Crucial SSD!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the new rear panel design. Originally this was going to be steel, but since i appear to have lost the laser cutter, this will now be acrylic.

[​IMG]

And the new front panel.

Finally i have another sponsor to announce! This will most likely be the last sponsor since this build is coming to an end.

[​IMG]

Roccat will be sponsoring me with:

Roccat Kone - Amazing gaming mouse!
    Roccat Sota - Mouse mat
    Roccat Vire - Gaming earphones
    Roccat Apuri - Desktop management utility

Last edited: 12 Dec 2009
  17. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Oh, sweet!

Really looking forward to those powdercoated rings for the Enermax fans, as I plan to use the same fans for my next build.

Also, insane price on the whole project - I mean, for being such a small computer. Good job you're great at snatching up sponsors, I guess.

18. oliverw92

Thanks mate :) Yeh i have heard from the powdercoater! He should have shipped the bits back to me today, so i might get them tomorrow/friday.

Tell me about the price man! I don't know where the money goes! Well i do, but i try to forget :p

Update incoming!

19. oliverw92

Update #19

We are nearing completion! I spent a few hours with the acrylic laser cutter this week and got the shell busted out (given up on the aluminium/steel shell now). It is now glued up, nearly all the smoked acrylic done and just waiting for a few screws and the stuff from the powdercoater (i heard from him - he hopefully shipped the bits today!). I also got a new toy in the post today, a softbox/lightbox combo for taking even better photographs. This thing is amazing for £50! It can either be used as an overhead light for large things, or you can put it on a desk and it stands up like a mini tent, so you open a little door on it and you can take pics of small things with excellent lighting. Doesn't come with a stand, so i use one of the cymbal stands from my drum kit. Works perfectly! Anyway, i hope you can see the quality of photos has MASSIVELY improved now.

[​IMG]

Decided to take some better shots of the SSD (the originals didnt do it justice!)

[​IMG]

More SSD goodness!

[​IMG]

An E8200, for the hell of it.

[​IMG]

Completed sponsors side panel. Made of 5mm white acrylic for the outside ring and 5mm smoked for the inside.

[​IMG]

Few pictures missing here, dunno where they went. At this stage i had the front, base and back capillary bonded with dichloromethane (this stuff can take 600p/inch^2 after curing for 24 hours, although it bonds instantly). I test fitted the PCB, drive bay and rear exhaust at this point.

[​IMG]

The CD drive fits perfectly!

[​IMG]

Here are some of my crazy designs realised by the laser cutter. There are loads of holes in the smoked acrylic, hard to see due to the shadows.

[​IMG]

Switch plate installed

[​IMG]

Another shot of the front

[​IMG]

Close up of the fan controller and its mount. You may notice it is 'floating', this is because one of the bolts for the feet come up right underneath it, so i had to jack it up 5mm off the base.

[​IMG]

Now to the rear of the case. This is a ventilation grill, which also acts as a rear window giving a view of the tubing in the back. The acrylic is translucent, the backing is still on the other side at the moment, however, to stop it getting scratched.

[​IMG]

On the left is the 60mm fan vent and on the right are the PSU mounting holes and vent holes.

[​IMG]

Side panel on! You can also see the PCI hole.

[​IMG]

Switches installed. The two empty holes are for the potentiometers for the fan controller.

[​IMG]

More of the lovely black switches

[​IMG]

And now to some shots of the finished shell! For all the previous photos in this update i was using my new softbox as a lightbox - putting it down on a table and using it as a tent to take photos of small things. I now attached it to a cymbal stand and used it to light up a larger area. These photos have had NO editing at all, believe it or not!

[​IMG]

Showing off the sponsor panel

[​IMG]

Yes, some screws are missing, these are coming tomorrow. You can also see the top with the fillport and radiator hole.

[​IMG]

And a view from the back with the blank right panel.

[​IMG]

Some people were asking for me to put something in to give a scale of the case, so here is an AA battery next to the case!

[​IMG]

And put even more scale on it, this is my new toy on the left (the softbox) on the cymbal stand. The shell is actually ontop of the amplifier i made two years ago. Can see the corner of my keyboard too.

Tomorrow is wiring and sleeving day (hopefully)! Will try and get as much done as i can, kinda busy though. Friday i have a half day so i will be busy busy busy on this! Until next time!

Last edited: 16 Dec 2009
    The boy 4rm oz likes this.
  20. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Wow, that is looking suuuh-weet.