1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Investigating SATA 6Gbps Performance

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 16 Nov 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

For a professional e-publication, the amount of spelling and grammatical errors that appear frequently throughout articles on bit-tech is quite frankly shocking. Please either hire a copy editor or purchase/code some software which does a better job than a second pair of eyes skim-reading it before it's published. Harsh, perhaps, but it requires bringing to task imo.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Nov 2009
  3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

So basically not worth it at the moment. Nice article though :)

4. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Hmm seems Intel and AMD will be the limiting factors for drive speed now, P55 with only 16 PCI G2 lanes doesn't look so good now considering if you run a SATA6Gb/s SSD it drops it to 8x for your GFX card, so bye bye SLI and CF.

5. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

If you're splashing the cash on SATA6 SSD, I doubt you'll be running anything based on mainstream P55 anyways.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If we did that, where would the fun be for YOU picking out the slight grammatical errors? :hehe::hehe:

7. dec

dec [blank space]

isnt pci express 3.0 due out in a year or so? better these are released before the SSD's overfill the current bandwidth

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Agreed :p

Let the grammar nazi's have their fun, but please at least edit the mistakes that are pointed out. Quite often, they go unedited even after they are quoted in the comment threads.

9. kgwagner

kgwagner What's a Dremel?

The title to this piece should have been "WD vs. Seagate 2GB Drive Performance", since that's what the entire article was about. Only in the last paragraph do you finally mention that the 6Gbps interface isn't bringing anything to the party (yet), which I suspect everybody already knows since there aren't any drives going hungry on the 3Gbps interface.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They are all changed at some point during the day/48hrs.

That's not it at all - we compared SATA 6Gbps to SATA 3Gbps, on two separate SATA connections on two separate motherboards that have completely different ways of using the Marvell chipsets. The graphs show all this data.

I've also amended the article to note the Asus board uses the 88SE9123, not 28: it does not feature RAID.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Was expecting to see SSDs as the drives, not 7.200 RPMers...

WD > Seagate ?

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

There's no such thing as a SATA 6Gbps SSD until next year, otherwise I would have used one also.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

nice to see Asus kept their useless plastic on top of the south bridge.

so basic conclusion is SATA 6Gbps is not needed until ultra-fast SSD's come around.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Dont SATA 3Gbps SSDs benefit anything from SATA 6Gbps?

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I tested with an Intel G2 160GB, and no, there's no difference at all. I just didn't include the results because they didn't say much and the graphs are already very data-heavy.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Ok, thanks.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No problem! :) Thanks for the question (I had already anticipated the answer to for a change) :hehe:

18. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Althought it is unprofessional, I do agree it's fun pointing out the mistakes. I'd rather have someone with a passion for what they are talking about make a few mistakes than a grammar expert write a load of rubbish!

This sentence is best with a Mario accent, "...although as a premium, performance disk drive you'll pay a through the nose..." ;)

And this is a bit muddled: If the BIOS is has the setting of "Turbo SATA 3.0"

No need for the 'of': and we still have the same eight of SATA ports as the Gigabyte board

19. BohleyK

BohleyK Cinnamon Life FTW

For a professional e-publication, the amount of spelling and grammatical errors that appear frequently throughout articles on bit-tech is shocking. Please either hire a copy editor or purchase/code some software which does a better job than a second pair of eyes skim-reading the review before it is published. Trolling, but it requires bringing to task.

I fixed your grammatical fail!

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Nov 2009
  20. tseax

tseax < >

Useful article - thanks a bunch Richard!

Tags: Add Tags