1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Study reveals laptop brand reliability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Tbh from my time working for the dreaded high-street computer giant, Asus being on top isn't a surprise. HP being at the bottom i find more surprising.

3. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

hmm are former IBM brands like Thinkpad's grouped together with Lenvo's "own" laptops? I've had Thinkpads for many years now and they have all been rock solid so would be quite surprised if Thinkpads and their brethren are as bad as indicated.

4. Morrius

Morrius What's a Dremel?

Could this not just be that Asus laptops are so cheap that people just buy another one when it breaks? They always seem to be bought by orangefaced harridans for looking at x factor videos on youtube with.

5. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Asus usually has 2 year warranty. I voided mine after 1 year tho. I'll see on the third year how things go tho.

6. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

acer at number 7 ? someone is having a laugh!

7. leslie

leslie Just me!

Asus, I would almost have expected it really by process of elimination. They have some nice stuff out and would probably be my first choice in a notebook.

The only big surprise to me is Lenovo and Toshiba, I expected them to be opposite. I had heard Lenovo slipped but had fixed their problems, clearly not well enough. Sony's bad choice in hard disks probably drove them down (I have replaced more than a few), so that wasn't a big shock. Apple, well if you have looked into their past, it will come as no surprises that they only fare average, which is actually an improvement.

You may want to read the original article, there is much more there.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

In complete agreement. My experience of Acer hardware and support was so poor, I will never buy another of their products.

9. Matticus

Matticus ...

Not too surprised by Asus, they make some sturdy stuff and have a good warranty. I am surprised by Apple, I don't know if using very similar hardware across of all their models should mean they should be able to get it right, or if people like Asus using lots of different configurations means they spread the risk of failure of certain things.

10. riggs

riggs ^_^

I would've thought it'd be lower tbh. Acers' are pretty crap to be fair - they're cheap and cheerful. Ok, so spec-wise you do get very good value for money, but the design and build quality leaves something to be desired.

My mates acer went on the blink literally a month or two after he bought it. Sent it back only to have it returned with half the RAM and a smaller HDD. Sent it back again (after numerous phone calls). This time it came back with the original size HDD, but only 3/4 of the RAM. He couldn't be bothered to send it back again so just gave up.

11. SlickGnome

SlickGnome What's a Dremel?

Actually kinda surprised about ASUS coming out on top. I work for a PC retailer (Very Big Box Store) and at our store at least we swap Dead HDD's out of ASUS lappies all the time. 2 of our employees have the same upper middle end system and we have had to swap HDD's on both twice now (first being about 3 months after purchase). I think they have great specs for the money but we have had some problems for them.

12. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

HP have made crap gear for years..... laptops, desktops & servers. plus they have the worst support, as they make you jump through so many hoops before you even get an onsite engineer. so now i lie about the steps i've taken to try and resolve the issue.... get the problem sorted in half the time :)

13. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

most of the ibm thinkpads were actually made by lenovo for ibm

i'm not suprised by the hp results i would say that a vast majority of hp failures were due to the nvidia gpu problem

nor am i suprised by asus having good results, a majority of there kit is well made

14. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I only buy Asus, and I'm happy to see they came out #1

15. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

I picked up an Asus laptop for the mrs in the summer. Can't complain at all since I've had no complaints from her. The main reason for the Asus purchase was the actual spec for the price compared with Dell, HP or Toshiba. A nice piece of kit for a great price.

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I agree on their laptops, they can be very noisy and parts fail - I'm not surprised they've not done well. Their desktops and servers are very good though and the service I've had is second to none. Had a psu go - someone sent by HP came and fitted a new one, totally free. I've had 3 of their servers running for over 5 years, only had to replace one raid-5 drive.

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

my two pennies:

a laptop is like a hard drive, it's guaranteed to fail.

My mac book pro has failed 3 times within 2 years. not impressed. and all that means is it's going to fail more in the future and when my paid for warranty expires i'm going to be facing huge bills. really, not impressed.

18. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Buy an Asus.. mine's going on 3 years now and rock solid

19. Goty

Goty Minimodder

... as I sit here and type this on my refurb Gateway LT3103 =P

20. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

I wonder where samsung came on the list, don't seem to have been mentioned in the article. Not surprise that HP did badly though, they have serious overheating problems (from the ones I've seen).

Tags: Add Tags