1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Nov 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. cybergenics

cybergenics What's a Dremel?

Great review, but anyone who wants to go SLI with anything put a pancake thin graphics card in the lower slot can't use the only PCI slot for say a sound card or TV Tuner. I have a Xonar that I am rather attached to. Other than that, good board at a good price.

3. Abdul Hadi

Abdul Hadi Technically, I wanna be tim!

Nice budget product. Some old people may need it.

4. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry but did you state anything about the max stable HT bus speed you could achieve was? I read every page 3 times and still couldn't see it, I noticed there wasn't anything like that on the MSI 770 review too, is it possible to let me know what the max stable speed you could get was? Reason I ask is my cousin is upgrading his Pentium D system with an AM3 build and would like to be able to overclock in the future but keep costs down so that's quite important to me :(

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No I didn't test, only just simple overclocking because it was a light review. It's still setup so I'll give it a whirl when I get back in the office. I'm ill today so I can't do it :(

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Don't go out your way, it's a little too expensive compared to the MSI anyway, I'll just have to dig around for my CPC issue which I lost that has all the good AM3 boards in it >.<

Any news on the P7P55D review? ^_^ (starting to sound desperate now *sigh*)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

P7P55D - CustomPC again. They just did a roundup of sub 100 P55 boards. We'll port a few to online soon. Basically the outcome was the Gigabyte boards were better: UD2 was very good.

If you want the HTT overclocking, I can still do it next week :)

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

That'll be the next issue? I got this months issue last saturday (go royal mail :D) and I don't remember seeing any, I was looking at getting the P7P55D instead of the Gigabyte because of the VRM heatsinks (MOSFETs? I can't remember) cause I don't want them popping on me from big overclocks/overvolts when I decide to overclock because I'm planning on keeping the board/CPU for a long time. Is heatsinks really a requirement? Do they actually help anything or is it just to make the board look good?

As for the HTT overclocking I can live without, my cousin has a pretty tight budget so I don't think I could justify the extra cost to him only for heatsinks and SLI support which he won't be using. Thanks anyway though.

EDIT: The extra USB pin outs on the ASUS would be nice too because I have 4 on my case and 2 on my fan controller :)

9. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Have NV simply decided not to do chipsets anymore, then?

Since they don't really seem to be making graphics boards at the moment, what exactly is their product line?

10. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Umm - 3D glasses that give you a headache :duh:

pimonserry likes this.
  11. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Issue 72 (September) of CPC has a 'massive motherboard' guide, including some nice AM3 boards

12. Redkachina

Redkachina Califragilistsic Expialidocious

Am I reading this correctly anyone?

Overclock settings:

1)MSI NF750-G55 (Nvidia nForce 750a MCP): 4x3.7GHz (18.5 x 200MHz), 2.6GHz NB, 1,600MHz DDR3 at 8-8-8-24-1T

4x3.7Ghz? 4cores=unlocked phenom 720?

wow..I sure didn't expect 750a chipset could unlock a phenom..

13. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

That's the issue i can't find anywhere. Only i could be unlucky enough to lose the only issue i need

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Re earlier P55 comments, I just put a box together with the Gigabyte P55-UD2, the mATX one.

Do not, repeat do not, buy Corsair 1600MHz RAM for these things. They really don't like it.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's exactly the memory we used though! :eeek: Dominator 1600 C8

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I think the stuff I had was the C9 version.

Did the board detect it properly or were you forced to set things up by hand?

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Interesting. Just using Gigabyte P55-UD5 with Corsair 1600MHz CL8 Dominators (CMD8GX3M4A1600C), all was needed from my side was loading the XMP profile :
    http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/5765/cpuzcpu.png
    http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2448/cpuzmem.png
    http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/7509/cpuzspd.png
    http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/7885/detailx.jpg

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Apart from the fact that I had the slightly higher latency XMS (non-Dominator branded) RAM, that's exactly the configuration I had. It was horribly flaky, locking up every few minutes - we struggled even to get a Windows 7 install onto it.

It's all back at Ebuyer right now - maybe something was simply faulty.

19. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

As is often the case with MSI boards (P55 GD65 is currently the exception) the sample board we had ran admirably with a decent FSB and CPU overclock with 8GB DDR3 Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz 8-8-8-20-2T. Then when it comes to getting production boards working in customer's PCs I had great difficulty repeating it ending up changing to an ASUS or Gigabyte & AMD chipsets and equivalent cost/performance graphics. It's clearly a popular platform since very few people actually order AMD CPU with SLi graphics.

20. Darkside59

Darkside59 What's a Dremel?

Hey Techs from Bit-Tech.net How is this motherboard compare to the big brother NF980-G65. I recently bought a MSI NF980-G65, AM3, 3 way SLi gaming board and I having problem disabling the onboard video card. I just wanted to know if this motherboard is a pain in the ass to configure as the NF980-G65. Thank you...

Tags: Add Tags