1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell ultra-thin Adamo XPS launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

i like it!

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That looks awesome. Having said that it's all about what it feels like in the hand, not how it looks on the web.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

5. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

But how would you use it on your lap?! It'd dig in to your legs!! Looks to me like it's only been designed with a desk/other hard surface in mind!

Impressive specs for the size, shame it'll probably be $1=£1 when they bring it across the pond

6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

As much as I hate Dells with a burning passion, I really like the design behind this... It's actually really prettiful

Pity it's designed for pretty boys and rich kids that can't carry anything heavier to school with them :p

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I love things like this because they push the envelope, so even if it's brutally expensive and chronically underpowered it leads us down paths that lead to everything getting smaller and lighter - like the Air...

8. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

I like... alot.

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

interesting, better specced than the air as well, which is a useless bit of kit.

still though, what is the target market of these ultra small, do nothing lap tops?

10. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I dont foresee that hinge mechanism being very strong...

11. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Like the Air, and to a lesser extent, Macbook Pro's and other premium laptops, for the rich types who want a top-quality machine. In the case of this and the Air, something that's very portable and yet still retains the oooh factor. :)

I'm sure they've worked it out to be sufficiently strong - they wouldn't bother to sell it if it creaked and wobbled while you were typing on it. After all, something like that you can get away with adding a bit of weight for the sake of nice feel.

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

13. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

This ^^

It might not be too bad but it looks like it would be a nightmare to use in everyday life.

14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Ehrm... it helps with ventilation and given the overheating issues with HP's 2510p and the general heat output of their 2530p, 6910p and 6930p I welcome every notebook that is better than that!

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

If it's that thin, I hope it's sturdy. I'd be worried about damaging it.

16. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

So? Doesn't make it practical to use! I have a laptop precisely because I don't want to use a desk (at home anyway, work is a different matter but I can't see many business customers for this...)

17. PureSilver

I don't think there were ever intended to be wholesale business customers for this. Who do you see using comparable machines like the Air? People in suits for whom efficiency is all, or people in coffee shops who want to look cool? I think this is a coffee-shop/departure lounge sort of thing; ultraportable, for being put on a desk for personal use or a few emails while you wait for a flight or a meeting.

This isn't a practical laptop and it's not being marketed as an everyday laptop for the masses - it's a crushingly expensive rich-man's/obsessive geek's toy, like the last Vaio X505.

18. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

The swapping battery while in sleep mode idea is rather useful - why has no one done that before?

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

64bit is default install most laptops i have seen in PC world and other places put 64bit on by default ($30 more when 32 and 64bit is the same price)

20. PureSilver

It is a good idea, I dunno... One reason I can foresee it not catching on is that people very, very rarely buy a second laptop battery, which is why things like the Air can get away with sealed-in power.

Tags: Add Tags