1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Best cooler for Radeon 4890?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by popcornuk1983, 22 Nov 2009.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

Hello folks!

Just bought myself a shiny new radeon 4890 (thank you bit-tech buyers guide!) and wondering what you all think would be the best custom cooler noise wise.

The card is amazeballs and I couldn't be happier with it's performance (coming from a 4670). However, if i'm playing a demanding game then I have to plug my headphones in to drown out the noise. Seriously, it sounds like its going to explode inside my case.

I was looking at some reviews of the arctic cooling accelero twin turbo and seems to be a good choice.

Anyone bought the accelero or can recommend another cooler?

Cheers :D

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

well if you have the money water cooling would be the best option. but if you can't afford that then the accelero is a good choice

3. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

The accelero Rev. 2 should be the golden aircooler for a GPU.

4. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

I got a ThermalRight T-Rad2 on my 4870 and it is supremely good. Idles under 25*C in these chilly afternoons and loads under 45*C with a single 120mm low speed yate loon.

I opted to chop up the stock sinks aluminum memory/VRM plate as the dinky sinks that come in the box are said to be rather pants with the 4800's toasty digital VRM's but the new VRM heatpipe cooler they released looks a good option (albeit adding to the cost).

And it looks quite pretty :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

akasa vortex neo gets good reviews

6. popcornuk1983

Thanks for the input folks

Water cooling would be a bit too much for me in terms of money and research as i've never setup a water cooling kit before.

I checked the compatibility list for the T-Rad2 and it says that the 4890 isn't compatible yet but it's coming soon. Even though the 4870 is compatible I'm not sure if the board layout is any different so don't want to risk it. Does anyone have this installed on a 4890?

The Vortexx Neo advises installing additional heatsinks to the VRM's. Too much messing about for my liking.

The accelero is still looking like a good choice. Any other alternatives you can think of? Will hold of buying for a wee while and keep looking around :geek:

7. barndoor101

the thing about the accelero is that it doesnt pump the hot air out of the case - the vortexx neo does. So that might be worth bearing in mind depending how your case cooling situation is.

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

i heard the neo vortex wasn't man enough for the 4870/90 and you're going to need some either modding to cover the ram and vrm's like the previous post or buy that vrm heatsink from thermalright cause they get quite toasty and require extra cooling when using any third party cooler that isn't a full cover water block. I own the accelero s1 rev 2 and my gpu never hits over 35c passively but mines a really weak gpu

Last edited: 25 Nov 2009
  9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Storm, why do you have an Accelero for a X1300Pro?

10. Sh0cKeR

Sh0cKeR a=2(s-ut)/t²

He wanted better cooling?

11. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Because the stock fan was such a whiney bar steward i wanted to kill myself so i looked at my options for a low end card and i choose the accelero because it is perfectly passive and i can use it on lots more graphics cards in the future :)
    I also don't agree with having a gpu hit 80C at max fan speed which is only possible with headphones on.

12. Elton

You have no idea, Storm. Try an OEM X1600XT and then complain to me. :D

13. barndoor101

i bet my HD2600XT trumps both

14. Elton

Yeah, no lie, that thing can cook eggs.

15. popcornuk1983

Well I've decided to buy the accelero for the 4890 as it's the only one that seems to be recommended for this card without extra modifications or tinkering. The only downside that barndoor101 mentioned is the fact that it dumps air inside the case. I'm hoping that my case fans should be able to handle the extra heat. I've not really noticed a massive difference with the stock cooler that dumps air inside.

As long as it's silent I don't care about a little bit of extra heat as I won't be overclocking the card. I just want to hear my team speaking during a l4d2 session! :)

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Going with the Arctic Cooling Accelero is a wise move. Just make sure it's the S1 rev. 2. Or of course the Twin Turbo (which is, in effect, the S1 rev. 2 with the turbo module mounted)... :)

Another good buy would be the Scythe Musashi.

17. popcornuk1983

Right I've changed my mind.............again!

I decided to see how the stock cooler was effecting my temps by dumping heat inside the case.

At stock speeds my GPU temp (according to rivatuner when furmark is running) is 88 degrees and my CPU is running at 61. When I take the side panel off the GPU drops to 77 degrees and CPU to 50. Thats a huge difference.

I think it would be best to have a cooler that dumps air outside the case but I can't seem to find one that would be good for the 4890. Any suggestions? Or do you think the accelero wouldn't cause such a massive increase in temp?

Cheers for all the advice!

18. sentek

sentek What's a Dremel?

unless youve already purchased a cooler, i can recommend the thermalright t-rad2 gtx.. got one myself on my 4890, along with the thermalright vrm cooler, and works like a dream, (although its kinda expensive, they claim it comes with fans but mine didnt so i had to buy some).

either way you want to make sure youve got something on those vrms.. i had the arctic cooling twin turbo before, but the vrm temps went up quite a bit with just those little heatsinks they give you, compaired to the stock cooler. whether it was safe or not i dont know, but it was too high for my liking.

19. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Sorry to bump this, but thought it would be better than creating my own thread, as I have the same conundrum! I have just purchased all the parts for a new build, and based on past experience with ATI cards, am wary of the noise the 4890 is going to create!

Further to the advice here, does anyone know of anywhere that is selling the thermalright t-rad2 gtx and vrm sinks in the UK (that can guarantee the version for the 4890).

20. Elton

Get the Vapor-X cooling if you haven't bought the HD4890 yet.