1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Moved from XP to 7, now i have no audio?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by rorzzman, 18 Nov 2009.

1. rorzzman

rorzzman What's a Dremel?

I recently upgraded from windows xp to windows 7 and now i am getting the message "No audio output device is installed".

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 and have tried going on the dell website to download the appropriate audio driver but they only have a windows xp one for my machine which does not seem to be compatable with windows 7.

I am now at a loss as to what to do? I believe I need a new audio driver but don't know how to find which one will be appropriate for both my machine and windows 7.

Thanks for your help (also going back to windows xp is not an option).

2. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

I had the same issue with a Dell optiplex 620 at work, use the xp driver, however when running the driver install/setup .exe file, make sure you set the copmpatability mode* to XP and that you run it as an administrator**, it should work.

*Right click on the .exe select properties, select the compatability tab, enable and select XP SP3.
    **Right click the file and select "Run as administrator".

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You should have check system compatibility with Windows 7 BEFORE getting it. It's said EVERYWHERE on Microsoft website, and Microosft made a tool which scans your system and tell you if you can go with Win7.

Anyway, try these:
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/audio/R99254.EXE

4. rorzzman

Thanks for your help.

In both instances an error occurs when i try to unzip the file, it says "an error occurred whilst unzipping. One or more files were not successfully unzipped. The error code is 40" not sure what I could do to stop this error occurring?

5. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

Another idea is you could buy a new sound card but make sure it has Windows 7 compatible drivers. You can buy a sound card for under $30

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Except its a laptop.

Sounds to me like the zip folder you've downloaded has gotten corrupted.

Try deleting the zip folders and downloading them again.

7. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

8. rorzzman

Success! I did what Delphium said after using cerberus90's advice. Thanks for your help guys very much appreciated.

9. d4martin

d4martin d4martin

Have you tried the Windows Vista drivers? Alot of the Vista drivers work on Win 7.

Good Luck

M

10. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Glad to hear you got it working chap :thumb:

11. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

After all, Windows 7 is really Windows 6.1 - just a fixed version of Windows 6(Vista) all x86 drivers for Vista should work in an x86 Win7 as well as with x64 drivers.

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Actually not really, some modification was done to the graphic, sound and motherboard side of Windows 7, so Vista drivers won't work, or won't work correctly at 100%.

13. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

Excuse me, I should have said "almost all." I've had to use a number of Vista x64 drivers for my rig like my wifi, sound card, etc.

EDIT: You might notice that when you DL drivers from manufacturer's websites that when you DL Win7 Drivers, they are often labeled as Vista Drivers.