1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Best Modern PC Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by H2O, 27 Nov 2009.

1. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Hey guys I need a little help.

For the past 10 years or so, I've been an avid console gamer, way before I was into computers. Currently, I have a PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii, so if I wanted a game, I would buy it for one of my three consoles. Meanwhile, my PC was used explicitly for Flight Simulators.

However, since I have put so much money into my current computer, I wanted to begin to play some games on my PC. However, other than Crysis, I can't really think of any other games that will push my PC to its limits. I just wanted some input on some good, modern games (hopefully with a demo) that would allow me to get the most out of my PC. I guess I should also say that I already have all of the Call of Duty games (including MW2) on my consoles, and I am mostly into FPS games, but I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance.

2. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

STALKER, with THIS mod will blow your mind if you've only been playing FPS's on consoles.

Supreme Commander is the best PC RTS imo, epic in every sense of the word.

Half Life series, from start to finish is a necessity, obviously.

L4D1+2 for some of the most intense, terrifying, hilarious and bonding co-op gaming ever.

The first FEAR game still shows up new FPS's when it comes to pure, visceral combat.

Oblivion with the support of the mod community is an ENTIRELY different beast to the console version if you've already played that (I recommend OOO, google it).

The Witcher is a very good RPG, though quite different from any other i've played.

Some recommendations from me to start. :D

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Supreme Commander is THE RTS of modern times.

5. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

+1. Very demanding game, personally had hours of fun on it just flying around all the different aircraft with my £8 joystick :D .

6. ikix

ikix What's a Dremel?

If you want a really good driving game, you wont be able to beat GRID.

The Total War games are amazing for long hours on engaging RTS.

TF2 is a really good and fun game to be playing with mates.

7. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

LOL, right?

8. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Yea right, only if you have hours and hours to waste.

Sam

9. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Also play the first Farcry - it's old but v cheap and it still looks awesome - now has hdr mode so with absolute max graphics it still loooks AWESOME - one of the best fps games out there. And HL2 is an absolute necessity - in my book it's COMPULSORY along with Bioshock a close second.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's the point of an RTS, particularly SupCom. Epically huge battles aren't won in 15 minutes :p

Though if you absolutely must sleep or whatever then there's always the save function ;)

Other than that some very good suggtions from D-Cyph3r, definitely worth checking out all of those :thumb:

11. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Civilization IV is always a fun game to play on LAN, a bit dated in terms of Graphics though.

I'd say play Mass Effect, although turn of the Grain effect.

+1 To Oblivion with mods

Crysis while not the most fun, is interesting with new weapons, and an AI revamp, (Crymod.com is your hero here).

+1 to Sup Com

Try World in Conflict or Company of Hereoes, excellent microing RTS and pretty explosions.

+1 To The S.T.A.L.K.E.R Series, although you'd better get the most recent patches.

12. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

Thanks for all of the advice guys! I just bought The Orange Box (TF2 and HL2) and I have been playing the L4D2 demo and the ARMA2 demo. I was especially blown away by the L4D2 demo, and the ARMA2 demo, while difficult, seems like it would be a very fun game to play.

I am also really amazed by Steam. It is awesome to be able to manage all of your games in one place and to have such a large selection of games available to purchase. IMO, it soundly beats out Xbox Live in terms of content and ergonomics. I have never realized just how much I have been missing with PC gaming!

13. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'd suggest Empire: Total War, although you may loathe the UI.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Having been a PC gamer for a long time now, heres some of the games that I consider to be defining of the PC platform - note that I used defining rather than "best".

System Shock 2 - You don't need uber graphics to make a terrifying game. Fantastic game that lead to the creation of Bioshock

Crysis - This game redefined what gamers thought was possible graphically. Such a huge step forward that graphics cards are still struggling to catch up. Fun sandbox and physics gameplay too.

Blizzard titles - Blizzard have defied the general decline in PC game to make a fortune from their addictive, polished, well-supported games. I'm not going to start (another) WoW debate, but its fair to say that WoW has been a defining modern PC title.

Supreme Commander - If you missed out on TA, Supreme Commander is its spiritual successor and an RTS like no other. It tosses away every arbitrary limit in every RTS and leaves it up to you on how over the top you want to be. Warning: slow computer not advised.

Valve titles - Half-Life series and L4D - say no more.

UT99 - Amazing FPS, simply fantastic. I still play it at LANs with some friends.

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

In no particular order:-

The AI in the first F.E.A.R. game is terrific, the way they flank you, jump through windows, crawl under objects, flip over tables & other objects for cover and limp away when wounded is a joy to watch.

HL2 plus episodes are bordering on complusory, I found the Strider/Hunter battle at the end of ep2 to be one of the most satisfying I've ever played.

I can't think of a more intense horror experience than Dead Space plus I found the graphics and the tech your character uses beautiful to both use and look at. I loved the holographic displays and the in game path finding display a cracking idea which is very well implemented.

I was thoroughly impressed with the way the CoD4 Modern Warfare campaign played, it was a great rollercoaster ride and felt like an interactive series of 24.

I thought Crysis was a great game, I loved the intensity of the action bubbles throughout the game , I lost count of the number of different ways I tried the schoolhouse rescue mission just to see what happened. I also think that the game did change gear when the aliens emerged but I don't think the game suffered for it.

I just have to mention Portal just for the sheer joy of playing it, the ingenity of the whole idea and the immense feeling of satisfaction you get when you finially cracked one of the puzzles that initially seemed like a real WTF moment.

The final word goes to Gears of War for being just so much fun to play, it was silly in places, over the top macho & gung ho but the cover system and intensity of the gun battles made it a terrific experience.

Last edited: 28 Nov 2009
  16. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

You are joking right?

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Haha, this is true, i did enjoy it, but as i grew up with C&C, SupCom isn't the type of RTS i enjoy sitting and playing for ages and ages.

World in Conflict is very good i thought, very pretty too.
    I must admit, i'm getting into GTA 4 on PC too.

Sam

18. ikix

ikix What's a Dremel?

If someone is wanting a sim racing game then obviously thats not what it is for. But what it is designed for it does very well and is a thoroughly enjoyable game, especially when playing online with friends.

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Oh God, how could I forget World in Conflict :duh:

WiC and its expansion pack are on Steam, so you have no excuse not to try that out. Very, very pretty game, with amazing depth of gameplay.

Oh, and while we're talking about SS2, this is one I also haven't played (or at least finished, I can't remember), so I was looking at getting it recently thinking it would now be really cheap (about £5 or so), yet I can't seem to find it on any digital distribution services and the only hard copies I could find were £20-£30+. Anyone got any ideas where I can get it cheaper than that?

20. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

You forgot Farcry!

Heheh - I love steam - it's awesome! And see - once a PC Gamer - ALWAYS a PC Gamer! :)

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Nov 2009