1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New website launch

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by will., 27 Nov 2009.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Hey,
    We've (Engage Interactive) just launched a new website for a client of ours.

http://bit.ly/5UNvgh (I don't want Google to find this post so don't link directly to the site please)

What does everyone think?

I think it came out really well. It even works (mostly...) in ie6 (and hilariously it's actually quicker than ie7).

It looks awesome in safari on one of those nice apple shiny screens.

As far as making it went, this is the first project I've worked on where I've kept control of everything throughout the whole process. Usually, nearing the end of a site launch I start to feel like I've lost control a little bit. Stylesheets getting messy, lots of unnecessary code and images start to appear etc etc, but this time, it all went really smoothly.

If your near a g iraffe by the way, follow and tweet them with how awesome the site is and ask for a free something off their menu and you might get it. They are all very excited down there at the moment. Already gave someone a completely free meal! :p

2. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

It has a zing to it, that's for sure.

tofu and pumpkin curry? I think I just vomited a little in my mouth.

3. will.

Bright and colourful you mean :p

That's their brand (and staff), very hyperactive!

4. scimmy

scimmy Minimodder

Very, very nice :thumb:

5. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

I'm not sure that will work, as bit.ly use a server redirect code which Google will just follow to the page anyway iirc.

I like it, but I think the jQuery bounce effect is a little overdone, in that it's too strong.

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I think it looks fantastic! I also love the way the results appear on the find-a-restaurant page!

My only objection is that the homepage layout is a lot your other sites - nav links across the top, jQuery horizontal bouncer in the middle, featured links below that. However, that's only a problem if you've been looking through the Engage Interactive portfolio!

Edit: a second objection: in the flickr image viewer, it's irritating when the image size changes and you have to move the mouse to click next/previous. Lovely jQuery effects though!

7. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Very cool - looking at in Safari on a big 23in screen :p
    Like the Twitter integration on the front page.

8. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

looks good to me on firefox @ 1650x1080

9. will.

Thanks for all the comments, good to hear you like it!

I did have it using a nice easeInOutExpo, nice and smooth in and out but slightly exaggerated to make it a bit more exciting. But we were told that was too boring! :p
    In the end, I had to split the animation into two halves, but they loved it. I think it's fun, though it's not my first choice.

Thanks! That page especially was the biggest part of it for me. I had to fight a little to keep it that simple (to look at... Underneath, not so simple!) But once we did a bit of testing (I went to a family meal with my laptop :p) I proved it worked really well so it stayed.

I know... It's a curse! A lot of our work in the food sector comes from someone simply looking at a competitors website we've done and saying to us: "We want that!"

In this case, they wanted a big panel on the homepage, but bigger! Which if you think about how screens are shaped, really is the only option. If it was vertical, you'd go below the fold.

As far as the navigation is concerned. We don't like vertical navigation. You can't do so much with it. They work great on big websites that have a lot of content, but on brochure sites we like to really design every aspect rather than give it some generic styling and then just paste content.

All that said; we have noticed the trend, so our next big project is going to be a little different I should think.

(Oh, and try hitting a page that doesn't exist... 404)

Last edited: 29 Nov 2009
  10. themcman1

themcman1 is now 110% win

Clever. Shame the 403 error page isn't so nice. ;)

11. will.

I am now thinking how best to draw a giraffe who is forbidding you from looking at something!

12. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

With it's head in the sand like an Ostrich (i.e it's confused) :confused: sorry for the randomness, i'm busy doing other things my head is done in