1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TempGong, 24 Nov 2009.

1. TempGong

TempGong What's a Dremel?

After some time without gaming there comes a week out of school because of the flue. Today, the first day of my "vacation" I decided to bootcamp windows on my beloved mac. The first time I failed to install Windows Vista because after the first boot It couldn't recognize neither the wireless keybord nor my usb one so I couldn't proceed from Add User. After a lot of frustration, I installed with no problems Windows Xp.

Now I would like a game for both single player and multiplayer just to play casually, not so much addictive. Would Cod qualify for a 9400m and some casual playing? Is it a good game? Will it come out for Mac OS X like COD 4 and Bioshock?

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Yeah it's a good game, what are the rest of the specs?

3. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I'm getting really ****ing fed up with the lag on this game, which causes me to be kicked out of the game, stating 'server connection time out'. Every other game I have runs faultlessly, but this one just constantly lags.

4. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

well for me its dissapointing, its not as good as cod4 gameplay, weapons, levels.

and worst off all its a steam only apllication on PC. servers lagg horificly. and you cant select servers, teams as you could in cod 4.

basiclly the server / game lobby ruins this game
    if i hadent pre ordered it, and played a demo instead, i would not buy it! stilll cant beet cod 4.

however im soo addicted to it.....:waah:

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

They didnt and wont have a demo

:rolleyes: :p

The lag is sometimes bad, others it's fine. What I hate is the ******** server drops that lose all my points or host changes mid-game so I get shot while inactive. Either that or the host drops, then because people get instantly pissed off they all vacate, meaning the host drops again and again and again: it's a snowball effect.

Also, because I'm considered "casual" at only level 15 after ~2 weeks from release, all the hardcore faggots have already worked out that bunny hopping with akimbo shotguns gets you uber kills from spray and pray, enough to have a helecoper that just then rapes everyone. MW2 online bores me now: again it's become as unbalanced as the first one. It was good for about 3 days. Considering how popular it is, I find it crazy I can't find a server with people around my skill ranking.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That doesn't make any sense. You hate it but you're addicted to it? Surely you must get some kind of kick out of it, otherwise you wouldn't be addicted to it.

Yeah, the lag is pretty bad and noticeable in most games. This video explains the problem pretty well:

So it's the same for everyone, no one has an advantage. I've lost countless kills because of lag, many times I've teleported around the corner and the next thing I know I'm dead. Yeah it's annoying, but I don't really care that much about it, and TBH the only people that do worry too much about their kill/death ratio. Those people need to play more objective games rather than campfest TDMs. The rest of the gameplay is too good to worry about things like that.

As for the helecopers [sic], if you're getting raped by them you're probably just playing with some sucky team mates, or you just can't be bothered to do anything about them yourself. If you have a class with cold blooded and a Stinger/Javelin you can take them down yourself before they even have a chance to kill anyone, and are pretty much immune to all air support yourself in the process.

I will admit the higher ranks are a little unbalanced (the ACR is beastly, for example) but you can still get decent kills even with the standard weapons. Plus the default classes now include some of the later unlocks. Akimbo shotties may be insanely powerful, but it still takes skill to use them. My biggest problem with them is the range, I've been killed from ridiculous distances with them before.

The most unbalanced thing seems to be the knifing though. In smaller maps, if someone is going round with nothing more than a tactical knife attachment for their pistol, with marathon pro, lightweight pro and commando pro, they're pretty much unstoppable if they stick to the more confined areas. I've tried this myself and even if they see you well in advance, they generally have no hope of killing you in the 'softcore' modes when they're on their own, especially if you run in an unpredictable zig-zag pattern.

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

That explained nothing. Some guy just said that he thinks the game has lag compensation. For other players other than the host, sure. But there's still a host advantage.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I didn't say it explained why it happened. I just said it explained what the problem with P2P matchmaking systems is, which, if you've been playing on dedicated servers in COD4 like me, you probably won't be familiar with.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

If this game had Dedi servers which is what we all want i would have to give it an easy 10 / 10 (my opinion mind)

But overall im 32hrs in on multiplay (ish) and ranked up to level 38, i play this for the pure fun of it and has since replaced CS:S, the server hangups and lag does occasionly piss me off, but lag is not that often for me.

Its when the host decides to leave it spoils your momentum if your on a good run, but overall im a happy bunny .

so because of IW**k net, i will lower the score to 8 - 8.5 / 10:thumb:

10. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I have a 9400M in one of my laptops and it struggled with Everquest 2, that's not to say you will struggle. Are you able to play the latest games ok?

11. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Actually I had a 8700M. That probably explains my problem with EQ2.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I only play objective maps, but it's annoying when I'm in the zone and getting a few kills for a change against the people who play all day, everyday.

Again, I do have the M4+Jav but by the time I've got it out and aimed, a good hele pilot has shot me or the other team has since most people are probably dead and waiting for a respawn. It's really quite unbalanced. We played with a complete noob on one of the sabotage maps and he basically just sat and owned everyone. Noone could spawn for long enough to shoot it down.

It does still take skill, yes, but my point is that MW2 is just become a-n-other hardcore multiplayer game full of enough people who play it non-stop to detract from making it fun. It's the two week factor: like CS, UT2k3, TF2 before it. It makes me realise why more casual FPSers are pissing off to consoles.

This is absolutely true. And I'm guilty of it myself: the "increased attack distance" and "lightfooted" mods make it super easy to run like a chipmunk on crack and knife your way through a few people.

It's a shame really, I was really quite enjoying MW2 at first, but now MP seems to just make my blood boil rather than get the adreneline kick if you're not a naturally super-****-hot FPS player with a lot of time on his hands to play just one game.

13. hugo60

hugo60 What's a Dremel?

I agree that it's quite unbalanced. I seem to be either destroying the other team or getting completely owned. A game i was in just then, our team had 3 consecutive chopper gunners and i almost felt sorry for the other team. Haven't experienced this knifing crazy tactics you're talking about though.

14. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I agree

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

CODMW 1 ist still enjoyable...dunno why.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Do many people still play MW1? It would be quite interesting to see Activision's reaction if MW2's mp died out within a couple of months and MW1's kept going :)

17. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

Honestly I far preferred the original Modern Warfare, MW2 seems to either frustrate me to death, or reward me with 40 kills and 3 deaths, once the game swings against your team, you've nigh on no chance of recovering.

The weapons also seem to be Overpowered, or at least our health's reduced, weapons without Stopping Power kill far faster than they would've in MW1, and leg, arm and other non-critical shots seem to do the same as hitting someone in the torso.

Just little things like that make me rage, and I still prefer (and play) MW1.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2009
  18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I agree, this would be extremely interesting. I don't think it will happen, but you never know...

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

i could see it happening! i dont think people will play this for too long after the shiny factor has worn off, there are plenty of other shooters (MW1 for example) that let you do the same things in multiplayer on dedis.

tbh though im not a huge fan of MW1, i hate the choppers and the endless random deaths, if im gonna die i want it to be my fault goddamit! not just because some guy on the other team got 5 kills in a row

20. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I loved MW1 when it was released, and I might go back to compare it with MW2 at some point. I can't see myself going back to it permanently though, I would miss all the extra details in MW2 too much and I can certainly do without all the random grenade spamming and deaths that resulted from it in MW1.

If I do end up leaving MW2 in a few months, it will be for a different game (like BF:BC2) rather than MW1.