1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cygnus X1.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 18 Sep 2008.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Been folowing this from the start, even though I havn't been very active in the conversation, and I feel a little bad for that since I think that if you apreciate what someone does you should really let them know. My only defense to that is that your build is pure perfection and I cant think of anything that needs to change.

Creating something that looks factory made without advanced tools like CNC is a tru inspiration for many on these forums I guess. Alteast to me.

Very nice finish photos, however (this might just be me), I feel that some of them are a bit dark. The case kind of blends into the grey background. Would be nice to see some more lighted photos but I guess that will be aranged when you've wone MOTY ;)

Well done

2. TonyL

TonyL modding on welfare

ye gods it's beautiful :jawdrop: :rock: :thumb: :D :clap: :clap: :jawdrop: :rock: :thumb:

3. subset7

subset7 Spanking the Monkey

Absolutely stunning :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:,i'm just reading your log from the start again,I love it :rock:

4. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Best.Mod.Ever

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Good lord, mate.... that thing came out incredible. :jawdrop:

I'm sure you've already been contacted by the staff for a front-pager at least! This deserves all kinds of recognition. What an achievement! It's my personal favorite for the year. Absolutely amazing. :rock:

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If not, E-mail them!!! This needs to get front page so you can do MOTY.

7. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Words can not describe the hard work,attention to every detail and the end result.Definitely needs to be added to mdpc as #1.Incredible work,amazing unbelievable result.Respect.And thank you for adding to the modders community knowledge.

8. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

I just sat down and read through every one of your posts from start to finish. The attention to detail here is so far beyond anything I have ever done or anything I have ever seen. What I find so appealing in the finished design is the combination/contrast between the rich wood panels and the alu panels. It really gives a classic/modern combination.

I personally would have never undertaken something like this without first drawing the entire thing up in Sketchup, so I have to give you a lot of credit for being able to just work this out in your head and then just make it happen.

The one encouraging thing to me about your build is that this entire thing was made with a simple shop with simple tools- no CNC here or teams of people. It goes to show what can be made with a lot of creativity and effort. Unless you have worked to make your own case, you really can't get an appreciation of the time and effort that goes into something like this.

I can only imagine how much you have spent on this case given all of the aluminum used. And I must say that your wife and daughter must be patient people to allow you to spend so much time working on this.

9. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Javerh, Xtrafresh, Cleveland216, Singularity, Stonedsurd, nagyizom, Botn3vik, TonyL, subset7,
    Sheiken, E.E.L Ambiense, Cheapskate, Spyrious.
    Thanks a lot guys, and thanks to all those that nominated CX1 for MOTY contest and MDPC. :clap::clap:

Nils from MDPC contacted me about CX1 some months ago and I'm working on a front page
    worklog as soon as I've finished writing this. :rock:

Thanks Gnu:thumb: Yeah, I don't know how many times people have said "I wish I had the tools to do something like that" when most of what was done on CX1 was accomplished with
    a jigsaw, power drill, three or four files and a home made bender. I'm convinced anyone can
    make almost anything they want provided they are willing to spend the time and effort, and
    of course I'm talking about considerable time and effort. ;)

Thanks voigts :thumb:. Not having this planned, even a little was a major drawback and
    contributed to the extended time it took to complete. On the flipside, it's the way I do most
    things. I begin assembling something in my head and continue designing and working things
    out as I go. I don't think there is a chance in hell that I could have sat down one day and
    come up with what you see here. Some lucky people have that facility, but not me, alas.
    I was very careful to pay close attention to my family life while making CX1 but no doubt I
    may have neglected home duties here and there without meaning to. My wife is very pleased
    it's finished and is looking forward to the months before I start something new.:hehe::lol:

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  10. DeltaFX

DeltaFX What's a Dremel?

It's a wonderful piece of art, but still, this flimsy ioplate..... Tss tss tss.

I found for cheap (<5€) a similar set of fine files but they seem to rust damn fast.

11. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

sublime..

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Great work and an excellent result. :thumb: I was hoping you would finish this in time for the MOTY this year.

13. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

:thumb:

14. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

screw mod of the year, this gets mod of the millennium

15. Melca

Melca What's a Dremel?

Muy bueno tu proyecto

16. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

I wasn't! lol :p

JK I can't think of any other project more deserving of Mod of the Year. Simply beautiful result.

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I can't think of anything more exciting than Cygnus vs. Neptune's Trident for MOTY. Please, please oh modding gods make this happen!

18. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Simply beautiful.

Sometimes you don't need more words.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Fixed that for you. This will definitely be the MOTY to watch on Bit-Tech! So many mods!

john

20. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

After seeing those final shots, I actually had to take a step back and let it all sink in... Then, yesterday I sat back down and started again at page 1, carefully looking through the entire thread. I got to page 12 yesterday but my oh my... This will give me several pleasant evenings.

Over the years (since -99 or so) there have been a select few that made me feel that "This is the best I've ever seen", it doesn't happen often, maybe just 6-7 times total, but when it happens... they hit me like a baseball bat to the face. Others have said it before in this thread, and I just have to agree with them.

This is the single most beautiful case I have ever seen.

Thank you so much for sharing this stunning piece of art with us!