1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling LGA1366 Cooling Options

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by H2O, 30 Nov 2009.

1. H2O

H2O Burnt Acrylic - Mmmmmm

I will be doing a rebuild of my E8400/X48 system in about one month, so I am beginning to order parts to prepare for the build. I will be upgrading to the i7/X58 platform, so I will need a new cooling solution. Currently, I am using a MC-TDX waterblock on my E8400, and I also have a Thermalright IFX-14. Eventually, I want to end up with a Watercool Heatkiller.

I am trying to avoid spending a large amount of money, so I thought of four choices:

1) Use the stock cooler, upgrade to the Heatkiller later
    2) Buy a new top for my MC-TDX, upgrade to the Heatkiller later
    3) Buy a new bolt-through kit for the IFX-14, upgrade to the Heatkiller later
    4) Buy the Heatkiller right now

And I also have some concerns:

1) Will the IFX-14 warp the mobo with its huge weight? (not too keen on ruining a $360 Classified)
    2) Will my radiator be able to handle the Core i7? I am using a HWLabs Stealth GT 240 on my E8400/HD4870 loop, and it seems to handle it fine. However, if I were to immediately WC the i7, I would put the HD4870 back on stock cooling,

Just curious what you guys think?

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I seen the IFX-14 spec on Thermaltake site, it weights 790G.
    I use a 7700-CU to cool my CPU and it weights 918G, dont worry about it.
    One Advice, take 2 hands to re-put your mobo in the case if you dont want it break under the gravity :dremel:

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Could you go aircooling till you can afford the Heatkiller? Probably a daft question, since your project's called "Red Water", but just a thought. Grab an Akasa Nero for £20ish - CustomPC used one to get their C0 i7-920 to 4GHz last year.