1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Oh look; another Dell 2209WA thread...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Ducky, 1 Dec 2009.

1. Mr. Ducky

Mr. Ducky What's a Dremel?

hey guys, so i've decided to get a second monitor to go with my LG 22''. The LG is a pretty bad monitor, but it'd server as an OK second screen to have firefox or IRC open.

I want to keep it 22'' for the new monitor, as I have limited space, is there really anything other than the dell 2209wa to get?

This computer is primarily used for gaming/movie watching, is the dell going to look good for that, or is a high end TN panel better?

I noticed it doesn't have HDMI, and I have a sapphire 5850, can I use both of the DVI ports on it with no problems?

And last but not least if the dell is amazing quality and the LG i'm going to be using for the second monitor is a lot worse, will that impact the dell, or will one just look good and the other bad?

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Yeah, you can use both DVI's.

The thing about having two different monitors, is that there's one that's bound to be better, and as a result you end up using only one.

And no, the Dell's E-IPS is miles better than any High end TN.

3. Mr. Ducky

Its pretty much because I started to use 2 monitors at work, then when I get home I'm unable to use just one, the second is so convenient.

As long as the dell looks amazing, I don't really care about how my current one looks, firefox and IRC don't need to look great.

I've read that the dell is really dark, which is bad in some movies, is that true, and I guess I need to calibrate it as well, please tell me this isn't too hard.

4. Elton

Calibration is quite easy. Use Lagom tests(google it) as a base. And don't worry, the 2209WA at max brightness is still blinding.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'd listen to Elton, he knows his stuff :thumb:

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Personally i've went through 8 of these things (yes 8!) each having a problem whether it be dead pixels (4 of them) dark red fingerprints on the screen from bad handling during transit (2 of them) or just glaring colour via vga (1 + current which i can't be arsed to send back) they are definately good quality monitors, all if you don't count the dead pixels have good colour and perfect response time with no visible lag and the only complaint i have about them is the coating on the screen which is only visible on whites and close up but i'm anal like that. All in all it's a good monitor and dell have great service, never questioned me once even after the first 7 rma's. I'm sure my story is just a story of uber crap luck and you'll get a perfect monitor first time round rofl

Also the black levels are superb in my opinion out classing my step dad to be's £800 sony bravia and £400 samsung tv's and the screen is perfectly bright, i have mine on 3 brightness and 75 contrast and i get headache's late at night when it gets dark while browsing the internet :thumb:

Last edited: 1 Dec 2009
  7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

That's the most negative positive review I've ever seen. :eyebrow: Hope your luck gets better!

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Thanks but my luck never gets better, i just got pentium 4 stuff and a 1950XT from mrplow and i'm expecting either the gpu, psu or my complete system to blow or die from esd upon installation :rock:

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

P4? You trailblazer, you!

And yeah, the 2209WA is in a class of its own at that price. I just wish I (or someone else) hadn't scratched mine :(

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Im gonna get one for christmas =) ordering mine of ebuyer for 200. Dells website is so expensive =O

11. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I had set my heart on one of these Dells BUT... what about the LG W2253V (just £160) or the Viewsonic VX2268wm (£214) both highly rated on Digitalversus? Especially when it comes to a lack of ghosting and gaming performance!

Opinions...

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Both TN panels, the 2209WA will outclass them both.

13. Mr. Ducky

OMG i just checked dell's site and the u2410 is 270$ off, for only 100$ more then the 2209wa, is that the best deal now?

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Both TN panels, the 2209WA will outclass them both.

Are you sure? The Viewsonic is a 120mhz screen and the same price as the Dell!

15. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

But it's still a TN panel, there's no getting away from that.

While on close inspection you might just about be able to tell the difference between a 60hz and 120hz monitor (my personal opinion is that it's merely a gimmick), the quality of an IPS screen will blow you away right out of the box. Given the choice at the same price, there's no contest.

So yes, I'm sure.

Absolutely. The U2410 is still ~3 times the price of the 2209WA here :(

16. Elton

A run of the mill IPS panel or even MVA panel will blow the pants off a TN. Of course there's the cost, but honestly 120hz is still a gimmick in it's stage as SMC has said.

17. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Well, I LOVE mine. :D