1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Call of duty: MW2 on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by numanoid, 2 Dec 2009.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

hi all
    my son has just completed cod mw 2, he has given the game to me, but i cant load it in as this steam thing keeps saying the activation key is in use ?????he has since uninstalled the game, ive tried opening a steam account, but that dont get the game to load into my pc either
    any ideas would be much appritiated
    thanks guys
    take care

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You'll have to login to Steam with your son's account.

Its not possible to sell (or give) an activated product in Steam to another person without giving them the account itself afaik :)

3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

he cant remember his steam account details, and its not accepting his email address
    thanks matey
    take care

Last edited: 2 Dec 2009
  4. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

Hey guys I found this one liner about COD:MW... see my siggy.

5. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Oh dear....

6. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

You like it ?

7. Digi

Erm, would you like a diplomatic answer or the truth? :) It's OK I guess, geek humour for sure!

8. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

alright.. and what is the truth then ?

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

if your son has activated MW2 on steam on his account there is no way to let you use it on another account.

so can we all give a big cheer to STEAM who make it impossible to trade games

if you want it on your account you will have to buy it

10. numanoid

numanoid Modder

its a joke, why cant they leave a great game the way its always been, why mess it up with this crap steam thing ?????????

11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Hi!

Steam isn't crap, its ruddy awesome. I'm surprised this is the first you've seen of it as it's been a requirement for a wide range of games for a long time now. Dawn of War 2, All the Half Life 2 games, even mainstream stuff like football manager!

While it's true you can't trade games once they've been registered to Steam the benefits far outweigh the flaws. You get automatic updates for all games registered through steam, allowing developers to roll out patches and fixes quickly and easily. You get the advantage of no zero day piracy (game files are encrypted until unlocked on release day). You can never lose your games as the game is registered to the service, not the disc or user. House burns down? Don't worry, you've got Steam!

There's also Steam Friends, Steam Achievements, the fact some games (like MW2) save your game to the steam cloud so you can't lose your save either.

While it's a big difference to the standard way of buying and playing games Steam is changing PC gaming for the better, not the worse.

Although I'll concede it's annoying not being able trade games, you can just log into your son's steam account and play.

12. Digi

It's bloody stupid! :p

13. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

hahaa.. I was expecting this.. thanks for the comment BTW.. :D:D:D

14. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Steam is awesome, save for 1 big thing (the trading games isn't one in my books) IMHO:
    LOW BANDWIDTH COUNTRIES.
    Elaborate:
    I buy a game (HL2, in the most recent case of STEAM), then install it (while sitting at my mate's office, as there's a Leased line there). Then it installs STEAM. Then it updates steam for an hour (no joke), then it updates the game for 3 hours (again, no joke), and then i can put Steam in offline mode and play HL2... otherwise, i'll be stuck downloading patches every time they are released, which would a) end up costing me twice the price of the game itself in the first 6 months, due to the pricing of internet of any speed whatsoever here, and b) take an hour to start up every time, as it needs to download 5-10 meg of patches.

Hence, i movd a lot of gaming to the xbox... no steam, no internet required...
    but then, i am fairly certain that in the not-too-distant future, developers will be forced to let users opt out of the updates, etc unless playing online.

Besides that, Steam works well...

15. Digi

Hehe, no problem. This is thread hijacking at it's worse btw. :)

16. numanoid

numanoid Modder

call of duty mw2 on windows 7

hi all
    i finaly got cod mw2 on my pc using my sons steam account, thing is im using windows 7 home premium, when i click on the icon to do the missions all is well untill the game is about to start and i get the options, all the words are broken graphics not readable at all, ive uninstalled the game and reinstalled it 3 times, but it still looks the same
    any ideas guys, is it compatable with windows 7
    thanks
    take care

17. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

I run it on Windows 7 Ultimate and have had no problems, other than a lot of lag on multiplayer.

18. damienVC

damienVC What's a Dremel?

Hi - it is compatible with Windows 7 - I've run it on both Home and Pro without any problems at all, just install and go. I take it you've checked things like your pc meets the min spec, all your drivers are up to date etc - that's the first thing I'd check (especially the graphics driver)? It might be worth posting your rig details.

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I take it you mean you get to the main menu where you have a choice of Spec Ops, Campaign and Multiplayer, but it's all in really low resolution?

That's normal, you just have to start a game, pause and then enter the options menu to change the resolution and graphical settings.

Unfortunately in starts in something like 800x600 by default and there's no way to change it from the main menu, but once you have changed the settings it will remember those settings and always start at your desired resolution. It's just one of the legacies of being a console port, I'm afraid.

20. numanoid

numanoid Modder

cheers guys
    my specs are
    cpu-amd 955 be
    motherboard-msi 790fx gd70
    psu- tagan 1300 bz
    250gb hd
    500gb hd
    graphic card-x1900xt (waiting for my 5870 vapor x to come in stock)
    os-windows 7 home prem 64 bit ........i cant find any x1900xt drivers for windows 7 64 bit ?????

my son got the game going it looks awesome, but the only problem is, all the writing is just a mass of broken graphics, just cant read it, u get the odd letter thats more or less ok, but no chance of using the game if i cant read any wording
    thanks guys
    take care

Last edited: 3 Dec 2009