1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cygnus X1.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 18 Sep 2008.

1. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

I think this mod it's a clear example of Modding "old style" , classic tools+ a great modder are always better than any milling machine or similar!!!
    Keep on this way :dremel::rock:

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

more pics?? :D

3. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks Delta. :thumb: Yes I left the I/O plate as is on the assumption that if the motherboard
    is changed frequently, I don't want to make new I/O plates every time. Of coarse the truth is
    this case was built around the hardware, and changing the mobo would probably mean also
    making a new cover and rear card plates. So I could have made a prettier I/O plate, but I
    just didn't think of it.

Thank you. :)

Thank you slippertskip. :thumb:

Thanks again Mankz. :thumb:

Haha :hehe::lol: I'm glad you like it that much.

Gracias Melca. :)

Thank you, and that's very gracious, but I know there are many people (myself included) who
    think Trident is a fabulous work. If Cygnus makes it to the MOTY contest I'd be very happy for
    it to be in such illustrious company. :thumb:

Thank you Von Lazuli and Axly. :thumb: You know when I started building CX1 I was only
    hoping to make something interesting. But when I read that people find my work Beautiful,
    Well, I get very emotional. This, to me, is the highest praise, I am very proud to have made
    something that people consider Beautiful. :)

Yes I'm sure there will be lots of great work on show at the MOTY contest, and I would be
    overjoyed just to be part of this great competition. :rock:

Thank you Kappa. :)

I'm going to hit ebay in a few minutes to find some affordable lighting gear and a backdrop
    so that I may have a better chance of taking higher quality, more consistent photos. Most
    of this stuff is from China so will probably take a few weeks to get here. When I've taken
    some photos with the new gear, I'll post them here.

4. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

5. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Thanks for the links, I still need to make some better photos of Cubeleon, and this will help :)

6. Attila

There is some good information in those links. Thanks Axly. :thumb:

7. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

out of interest...... Did you also design and build your kitchen? lol
    Very VERY nice case, piece of art

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

We need a thread for taking project logs and mod pictures. Not the Photograghy forum, those guys take pics of insect's butts! Just a general setup, lighting, focus kind of thread here.

john

9. TheMatrixContinuum

TheMatrixContinuum What is "REAL"

What type of wood is that? Will the woodworking plans for this be released to The New Yankee Workshop? Finally, we are starting to see a convergence of furniture building and PC case production. It a beautiful piece.

10. Tech-Daddy

Tech-Daddy What's a Dremel?

HOLY SMOKES!!! This thing is HOT! Going to read this over tonight and let this inspire the muse!

A truly inspirational piece of craftsmanship. Awesome work, mate!

I am humbled.... wow....

-=TD

11. KrunchR

KrunchR What's a Dremel?

Beautiful case...just beautiful. Well done mate.

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

It's Jarrah wood (Wikipedia).

13. Indybird

Indybird Why are you reading this?

Now all you need is one of these mice to go with it! :naughty:
    [​IMG]

AlestRukov.com

-Indybird

14. Axly

Axly slo-mo...dder

I was pretty certain that there was a sticky about "how to take good photos of your mod" once, but when the question came up I wonder if that wasn't on one of the other modding forums, or perhaps it was removed as sticky ages ago...

Never mind, it's actually a good idea, and to be honest, most modders could actually learn from master Oldnewby because those photos are very nice (and not only thanks to the absolutely stunning case).

Now, back on topic. ;)
    I've went through this entire project from page one again... and I'm actually even more stunned this time. I thought through the mods I've seen before, those that seem to leave the state of dead objects and actually turn to entities of their own, and after this comparison I'm even more convinced than before, this is absolutely the most fantastic, beautiful build I have ever seen. Cygnus X-1 has certainly left the "ugly duckling state" of mere wood and metal and turned into a graceful swan.

I've always felt that having someone elses mod as a desktop background is kind of corny, but for the first time ever I have changed my background to someone elses computer. (the first of your hi-res pics). I can't wait for more amazing Cygnus por.. art.

(Oh, by the way, I just love that little mark in the wood on the front panel! )

Last edited: 3 Dec 2009
  15. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

That is one of, if not the most fantastic scratch build I have ever seen. The fact its hand crafted is just the icing (well more likely blood and sweat) on the cake.

But I'm kind of supprised you have not incorperated some dust filters. Should be quite easy to attach and clean with the door.

16. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hey dude, check your PMs :D

17. Attila

No, and thanks. :)

It's West Australian Jarrah. There are no plans but you could probably piece it together from
    the project log, it covers construction in great detail. :thumb:

Thank you. :):thumb:

Thank you. :)

That's some nice work but I really like the mouse I'm using.;)

Thanks again Axly. :) Some people call these "defects" and fill them, I call them "features"
    and depending on where they are and how they look, I like to keep them. ;)

Thanks Rocket. :) Well I never really gave the idea of filters much thought. It wouldn't be
    difficult to put a filter behind the front panel, and make it look OK, but there are so many
    places dust is going to settle anyway. This may sound strange, but CX1 was never supposed
    the be used as an everyday PC. I was going to make it and wrap it. But it's been running
    24/7 for over a week and I've fallen in love with it :blush:. I just can't put it away.:lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rock::rock::rock:

ModMinded likes this.
  18. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Thanks for the wallpapers mate, they both look great on my new 24" Samsung :D.

19. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

I said it, but I saw your last, lighted pictures and the pictures of Cygnus XI on your desk

and I have to say it again: beautiful, just beautiful.

20. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

OldNewb, you rock!
    I've been away for a while, and just saw this show up in my updated subscriptions list, and had to stop by.
    Having been watching this since the beginning, I'm glad to see the DONE stamp on it, and am truly impressed and thankful not only for the awesome craftmanship and design of the final product, but also for the effort and manner in your log, helping us other noobs (young, old and between) learn from your example. Your willingness to answer questions and take input (and reject gracefully ideas different from your plan) is worthy of stars and more!
    Thanks for the vicarious journey, can't wait to see what else you get into later!