1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress BORDERLANDS... Project: Scrapbot

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sethnmalice, 17 Nov 2009.

1. FrooP

FrooP can I eat this?

this is awesome

2. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Looking awesome seth :clap:

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Lovin' the log Seth. Keep it up!

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

That design is kick ass! Gavin is a true mod master

5. sethnmalice

sethnmalice What's a Dremel?

ty :)

ty :)

Glad your enjoying it ty :)

Wow, ty Bill :)

6. sethnmalice

STARDATE: 20091 (a few days blurred)

Sometimes I find it so hard to build and fight off hordes of aliens, yet my drive and determination never fails me, its me or them.

There's been a lot of activity where I was so I packed up and moved on, I'm currently journeying on a deserted highway on my way to Old Haven, there seems to be a lot of activity there, so I'm hoping to find some rare scrap that I need for this Bot.

The bus has been set to autopilot, similar to what one would see in a movie...

<sighs> A Movie...has been such a long time since I've seen one, this wasteland is quite depressing, I travel down this road, occasionally I look out of the window, nothing is in sight, this is a good thing, as I'm feeling pretty weary.

<several hours go by>

I must have fallen asleep, sleep is good and it doesn't happen to often, between the building and the killing, who has time to sleep, I'll do that one day soon.

Not too far from Old Haven now, I can see it on the horizon, cells in the photomaker are dead, going into Old Haven to look for a everlasting powercell for it, who'd of thought someone would invent an everlasting powercell.

<30 minutes pass by>

Have taken control of my "Battle Bus" and since the last post its now geared to the teeth with some of the most devastating weapons I could find, from Plasma Rifles (good for killing things through walls) to EMP machines and Hyper firing machine guns, why Hyper you say?, well why not, a blaze of 10,000 energy rounds in the blink of an eye can not only shred aliens, its good for clearing a path.

Have rattled on for too long now, where was I...OH Yes, I have arrived, I park my Bus just out of reach of Old Haven, and grab my gear and head into the Town, or rather whats left of it.

They say that although its not occupied by the locals, it is occupied by the elitist armies, with mass amounts of technology at their finger tips, and soon to be mine, may also find some rare materials for my project.

<Silent and deadly I approach Old Haven, with my silenced hand cannon, these guards are heavily armored, but I maneuver through them with lightning speed, killing silently, and collecting in the process, then I'm out of there ready for the next night.>

Don't want to cause too much attention to myself or it will be a bloodbath in there.

I found some stuff for the build, so I drive somewhere out of reach and begin working....

I had taken these photos sometime before leaving for Old Haven just to show what I hope will be how the Bot will look near completion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It gives me hope that I may be able to achieve my goal, but here you can see what the Scrapbot will look like.

I met up with a fellow adventurer on the way for a few days before we parted ways and he took some photos of me while I worked, this could also be the reason why the photo maker ran out of juice...

[​IMG]
    Using L tube (not really a tube is it) L shaped aluminium, I begin to form the edges of the arm panel.

[​IMG]
    Cleaning the panel (removing the Graph Paper from the front of one of the side panels)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Making the External side guard...

[​IMG]
    Nibbling action!!!! (Number 12 Nibbler - this one has lasted a while now, god bless simple technology)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Completed side guard, looks kinda crappy, perfect for this project, as its a mix of old and new.

[​IMG]
    Began work on the middle bit where the Arm will reside, added L shaped Aluminium and riveted it into place.

[​IMG]
    The middle slips over the other and then at a later date will be riveted or screwed into place, thus creating a solid panel, to hold the weight of the arm, which I think is going to be pretty heavy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on the Rear Panel...

[​IMG]
    The front and Rear panel will have L Shaped Aluminium along the edges and the side panels will be screwed into these, hopefully creating a flush finish. (that's the plan)

[​IMG]
    Taping the holes...

[​IMG]
    Cleaning the Rear Panel...

[​IMG]
    Inside Rear Panel.

[​IMG]
    Outside Rear Panel.

[​IMG]
    Had a bit of trouble with this part but eventually made the holes on the side panel bigger, and now it all fits reasonably flush to the Rear Panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It's a solid build so far...and strong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite a bit of work but happy about the progress I have made, time for a well deserved rest, till next post.

Seth

7. Botn3vik

Botn3vik Mod it!

IM IN LOVE <3<3<3<3<3 really enjoyed Borderlands and would kill for a computer that looks like claptrap or a scrapbot!!

8. gabriel_d7

gabriel_d7 Budget Mod?

It aint done... but I'm loving this already. Love the game too. :D

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Excellent work there, great idea for a project too.

10. sethnmalice

UPDATE

Continued working on the other side panel , which is a duplicate of the other side panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The middle of the panel has a section that will be powdercoated a different color to the main panel, so I made it so that they come a part fairly easily, and this was done by creating a section on the middle panel that slots into the L shape on the edge of the main panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Completed piece.

Moving onto the wheel guard, one on each panel.

[​IMG]
    Each piece hand cut including the corners, took a while to do this, and even with all the patience in the world its not a flush fit, but then as someone said to me, its not meant to be flush, its a scrap bot , so having imperfections is a good thing.

[​IMG]
    Began working on the front panel, added in L shape Alu leaving 1.6mm of space from the edge so when the side panels meet up it should be a flush fit, the L shape on the front panel will be riveted and the bit that connects to the side will be screwed in, makes for easy dis-assembly later on.

[​IMG]
    Added some depth to the middle section of the front panel.

[​IMG]

Tried again to bend some alu to fit the shape I had created in the middle, but was a failure so I just cut each piece to fit in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The fan grill will act as the eye piece.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    to show the depth.

And now the case side panels complete...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the easy part is done, the difficult parts begin, and these are....

1. Straighten the entire top to fit the top panel, which currently sits strangely, mostly due to the fact that none of the L shaped alu is set for a 45 degree angle, its 90 degrees.

2. Work out how to attach a single wheel and prevent the entire case from falling over.

3. working out how the 2 shocks will attach to the frame..

4. Building the frame.

5. Attaching the frame to the panels

6. Getting a PC in the case... that fits.

7. Finishing off the robot arms.

So still quite a lot to do, and so much brain power needed for the impossible.

More updates soon.

Seth

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

The grill as the eyepiece is a genius idea :D

12. Frozen-Q

Frozen-Q Glowing res' FTW!

You my friend, have just made my day = D

Love the idea, can't wait to see this thing in action...now all you need to do is put speakers on it so it can make the annoying sounds and say the lines that everyone loves.

:D