1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor Poll: Dell U2410 v HP2475w

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by earlydoors, 6 Dec 2009.

?

Dell or HP or other?

1. Dell U2410

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. HP 2475w

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

To my mind, for general usage (gaming, office, movies, amateur photography) these are the best 24", non-TN panel monitors for high quality performance. There's a lot to be said for either of these monitors, and both have had great reviews. They're both around the same price point, but the Dell's a touch newer. There have also been issues reported for each of the monitors, but on the whole they both seem great...

Dell U2410

HP 2475w

So...which one would you go for?

:thumb:

2. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

It's tough TBH, looking at ports the Dell is good as it has a D-Sub port if you ever need that. But then the HP has 6 USB ports which are handy.

To be fair, aesthetically they are both very square.

I'd have to go with the Dell, for the D-Sub and I think 4x USB is plenty!

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Dell.

Once calibrated they perform identically... and for me the built in card reader on the Dell.. plus the D-Sub if needed is a clear no brainer.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Dell.
    The stand is in metal (black parts are plastic for decoration, but metal under it), the touch sensitive controls are well hidden and works perfectly. Dell service is superb... when I got mine there was a simple scratch on the stand. I requested a new stand, and they send me fast, a completely new (not refurbished) monitor, and a prepaid shipping label to return back a box with a monitor of my choosing and a stand (with the cables and everything else). In my case I decided to keep the old one because I deeply tested to ensure that their is no dead or stuck or bright pixels.

I find Adobe RGB to provide a fantastic colors.. so you don't really have to calibrate it. If you want to diminishes the input lag, then you would need to go under custom profile and calibrate it. In my case minor calibration was required to get the same... visually (I don't have a calibrator as I am not professional when it comes to picture editing, or photographer... but I I am a picky/perfectionist guy to a certain extent, so I do love my colors). Took me a nice 10-15min to get Adobe RGB to color near identical to my Custom profile at a visual level. And that is those thing you do once for ever. Now if you really want to reduce the input lag, than using game mode is the best. But to say the truth, as a gamer, even staying in Adobe RGB mode I game very well, even in FPS games. The input lag is not noticeable as people claim.. very impressive monitor. And the OSD menu is very easy to navigate. If you attach a second computer such as laptop and use picture-in-picture or side-by-side picture-in-picture, there is a small downside... if you unplug the second computer... let's say laptop and turn off the monitor, it loses in memory the second source, and reset back to component. However, the Monitor menu (OSD) is so easy to navigate that I find this to be a no-real issue.

As for design, well I find the Dell one to look professional.. it says class and sophisticated.

Search the forum, as you are the first who asked the same question, and people ended up with the U2410 and loves it.

The extra USB ports are useless... I mean really.. you already have 2 minimum on the front of your case, and like 10 on the back of the computer. Having 2 or 4 on the monitor is convenient but I highly doubt you will use more than 4. And it's not like if a USB hub is something hard and expensive to get.

Well that is my mini-review on it.

5. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

I'll go with the Dell as well. They have great return policies.

They both are equal in terms of quality once calibrated

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The Dell, if only because I've read some interesting things about the HP.

Or if you've got enough cash, get the NEC 2490WuXi.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I own a U2410 and have seen a HP 2475w at my workplace. I'm very impressed with the dell, not so much with the Hp (and I really like Hp displays)

8. Pookeyhead

Why do people bang on about that NEC Monitor? It only covers 76% of Adobe RGB, so as a wide gamut image editing display, it sucks. The Dell covers 96%.

9. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Thanks for all your responses, guys. 70% in favour of the U2410 (based on 10 votes, ahem)

Thanks for your mini-review GoodBytes...what exactly does the picture-in-picture function do exactly? Not seen t

And how noticeable exactly is input lag, we're talking pretty low timings, and I'm not one to play uber-competitively, so I imagine in game-mode the monitor would have pretty good functionality.

Leaning towards the u2410, then. Probably from eBuyer.

10. jbloggs

jbloggs What's a Dremel?

I would go with the Dell, because my experience with the P LP2475w was terrible, very poor quality control on the HP, my experience with Dell monitors has been good, had a 2407WFP (Rev A04) and it was an excellent monitor, no problems in the 12 + months that I owned it...
    ________
    Park Royal 3 Condos

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  11. Malketh

Malketh What's a Dremel?

Just to toss a couple more cents into the pile, I've got a Ultrasharp 2405 and a 2407 and so far I've loved Dell's screens over everybody elses (we even have a crap tonne of 2208s at work).

12. GoodBytes

You have 2 picture-in-picture (PiP) mode. Basically, it allows you to see 2 source of your choosing, on the same monitor. The first mode, allows a small rectangle show a second source on any corner of the monitor (you can choose in the options). The position of the top left or rigtht position is positioned to not cover the the title bar and scroll bar (if any) of the source one. Meaning if you have a maximize windows in the main screen, PiP Mode1, won't "block" you from closing/minimizing the window. It's vey well positioned, is what I am saying.

The second PiP mode, allows you to have 2 rectangles, side-by-side which shows the first and second source.

Now, when using PiP the resolution of the source is not lowered but rather the image is scales to fit. So I suggest to use Windows 7 zoom feature (Win + + to zoom in, Win + - to zoom ou, Win+ Esc close magnifier), to zoom in on the desktop so that you can see things better. You need to have Aero enabled to use this feature.

In addition to this, I use Input Director (free), which allows me to control both my systems (laptop and desktop) using my desktop keyboard and mouse. It's pretty cool software and I think it's ideal if you do use PiP feature in either mode.

I hope I explained what PiP is.. perhaps you want some pictures?

And how noticeable exactly is input lag, we're talking pretty low timings, and I'm not one to play uber-competitively, so I imagine in game-mode the monitor would have pretty good functionality.

Leaning towards the u2410, then. Probably from eBuyer.[/QUOTE]

13. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Yes, pictures are always more than welcome :D So you'd use this mode to view your laptop and your main PC at the same time...can you transfer files between them, say, if you wanted to move some music from your PC to your laptop? That would be sweet.

14. GoodBytes

Yes, you can with Input Director (http://www.inputdirector.com/).. just follow the setup guide to help you get configure the program so that it works well and with greater ease. It runs very well under Windows 7 64-bit. The only minor "issue", is if you want to allow copy and paste between system you need to share folders (network share folder) in both computers. In my case, I set set to share my desktop's for both systems... so you can only copy and paste from the desktop between systems. The little annoying part is if you want to transfer a file between system when it's in a folder, you need first to put it in the desktop than transfer it.. or share that folder. In my case, it's rare I do this.. so it's no problem to only have the desktop shared.

Pictures (very big):
    Picture-in-Picture: http://www.helpweaver.com/pip.JPG

Picture-in-Picture a closer look: http://www.helpweaver.com/pip_zoom.JPG (notice how it doesn't cover the close/minimize/maximize buttons, and how the scroll bar of Firefox is well visible)

Side-by-Side PiP: http://www.helpweaver.com/pipsbs.JPG (notice how the monitor present no visible backlit bleeding)

Sorry for the gorilla style pictures... I use what I have as camera. :/

Last edited: 8 Dec 2009
  15. Elton

Oh really? I thought it had the polarizer?

Or was that it NEC LCD2690WuXi that had the insanely good adobe RGB performance?

Never could get it right as I never will be able to afford it.

16. Pookeyhead

It was an older one that was better.. can't remember the model number now, but it was the one with the different polariser, yes. I don't think it's available any more. Also... given it's price, I still wouldn't buy the NEC if it was still using the same polariser, as it is just not worth it, as you're paying more for very small gains.

I reckon the Dell is the best value for money out there at the moment... and by value for money, I don't mean a compromise.

17. earlydoors

earlydoors Minimodder

Ah right, that's pretty cool! Unfortunately I only have one Win 7 based system and I don't think you can network Win 7 with another version of Windows...Maybe in the future, though! Nice to have the option :D

Thanks for all your input guys :rock:

18. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

quick question, how does the Dell stack up as a gaming monitor? Most monitors today aimed at gamers have a response time of 2ms, but the dell has 6ms. Any noticeable lag or ghosting?

I ask because I've been dreaming of upgrading for the last 8 mos now to get a 24' and there never seems to be anything that is 'perfect', but there's lot's that are 'acceptable'.

I currently have a 9800GTX also, would I be in need of an upgrade to get the most out of a 24'?

(my apologies if any of this is threadjacking)

19. Elton

6ms compared to 2ms is nothing. In fact it's literally unnoticeable.

I personally use a 25ms monitor, and unless I'm paying attention to the tiny details(you won't most of the time) I can't even notice the difference.

Of course true input lag ranges from about 12-18ms for this monitor(because of signals sent back and forth from PC to monitor) but it shouldn't hamper your gaming experience at all.

Also, this monitor>almost all others just because of the H-IPS panel, and yes, if you wanted great gaming, you might have to change out that GPU, although it depends from game to game.

20. GoodBytes

Vita to Win7 networking work well... XP to Win7, is a little tricky but should work once setup.