1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Larrabee Cancelled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 7 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. impar

impar Minimodder

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh no! what would we will ever do without Intel latest """"GPU""" ?!

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Buy nVidia crap (i.e. their latest rebrand)?

I, for one, think this is sad news. I'd hoped for Intel to come through with their Larrabee project. I still hope they will, somewhere down the line.

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Why would intel continue to throw good money after bad? I'd say from this that they are hanging back to see how OpenCL pans out, and will chinese-wall some of the resultant technology a year or so down the line. Despite all the slatings, it looks to me like nVidia are the ones that are pushing the boundaries right now, "rebrands" notwithstanding.

6. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

Love the photo pic for the article.

Well it looks like Intel would now have even more motive to buy Nvidia if the opportunity arose, GTX400 at 32nm would be nice.

7. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

nVidia are pushing the boundaries? :yawn:

Hardly, rebranding is their biggest "thing" currently.

Other than that, they're not really doing anything.

Foni hardly counts considering it's looking like they're having a really hard time with it.

8. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

There's some pretty forceful nVidia hate already! why i'm not a massive fan of the company in regards to their methods in can't be denied they have made some pretty influential and market driving products which is why they are able to rebrand in the first place. I'm excited to see what Fermi really turns out to be, as it could be one of those rare tech moments where your jaw really does hit the floor.

i think this is also a degree of what's going on at intel; why release an underperforming flagship product? all they need to do is wait it out, learn something off the back of the server/workstation chip and iterate it until its something enthusiasts want.

Tim Sweeney is one of the guys you can't ignore too, so unless Intel bunged him some epic cash he's probably got a point (although i won't pretend to having a valid opinion on what he said).

9. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

The title of the article is a little misleading - only the consumer hardware aspect of it is going away. Of course, I am not too happy about intel making some more integrated graphics chips and then telling the poor consumers that it's "just as good" as discrete graphics cough*945G*cough.

10. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

That is my demotivational in the article header!!, I'm almost e-famous. Where is my cheque, in the post?, Bit-Tech is worse than Google, milking the hardwork of others:p, I almost agree with Rupert Murdoch:p:hehe:

11. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I am sorry but Nvidia doesn't simply re brand.. every newer GPU has new features and optimizations.. if you choose to ignore them, then it's not my problem.

The only thing Intel is good at is their x86 architecture CPU's.. no other CPU, or other product. And at least with Nvid aand ATI, you are assured that any software that require a GPU, will run and not crash because it's not part of Intel, now hidden, software compatibility list. Because when Intel makes drivers, it's not for a universal purpose but rather per applications basis.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

part of me, small part mind you is actually kind bummed out that they are pulling out (for now), like others have said, they are probably going to do the Intel thing and wait for some other company to do what they are doing and then copy it.

13. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Always seemed a bit too ambitious, at least in the short term. Hopefully they will concentrate on improving their integrated graphics offerings, bearing in mind that a large proportion of PC's sold include them.

14. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I wonder if this means they will be open to opening backup there chipsets to allow other gpu makers to come in...

15. bridgesentry

bridgesentry 3verything must bee wat3rcooled

Intel Larrabee: overkill for office apps but too slow for AAA games.
    I think their canceling is a good move:D
    Larrabee's future is still behind the fog and the dark now.:hehe:
    I don't hate it (I'm fan of Intel), but can't imagine how people could get around with it without any fear:blush:

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If there was one thing that impressed me it would've been the potential for real time ray-tracing.

Oh well, we still got Lucid to look forward to.

17. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

surprise surprise! maybe intel should have kept their mouths shut and developed the chip before making some of the claims it has been coming out with

18. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

I'm also voting for Nvidia. I was an ATI boy last year with my 4870X2 but what ATI is doing right now, I find disturbing, they have the whole market for themselves and are pricing their cards in a non-rational way.

GO NVIDIA!

19. hrtz_Junkie

hrtz_Junkie Controversial by Nature

It's allways a shame when a new product fail's to appear. More compition is "Allways" good for the consumer as it encourages other company's to step up or loose out.

Take the hole Ati/nvidea situation. Because ati/amd has upped the bar with it's last two gen's (4890 & 5890) this has caused Nvidea to focus!!

Nvidea know's it's loosing popularity, so my gess is taking it's time perfect fermi and make it something "awsome"

Nvidea know's damn well this card need's to be something special or the 5870's will become the high end gpu off choice. (wich up to know has been the gtx 280/285. depite what cpc may have led you to beleive!)

20. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

hrtz_junkie please tell me English is not your first language. if not then you actually did pretty well haha :)

Tags: Add Tags