1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Best free HDD recovery software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by geoboy333, 7 Dec 2009.

1. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

Hi all

my mums computer lost some boot files during a defrag the other day ( I know thats what happened so no need for qs on that) i just wanted to know which software i should use to recover the files off it on a working computer. so if i plug the hard drive into my comp. it will let me access them etc.

the problem its got is a corrupt file system so its a pretty strait forward job and i have done it twice before i just can't remeber what software i used as it was 6 years ago.

just wanted to know what the best round up of free data recovery software.

thanks in advance

G :)

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

PLEASE DELETE.

3. Ravenheart

kenco_uk likes this.
  4. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Start / Computer / Right Click on the HardDrive / Property / Tools - Error-Checking - Check Now and Reboot. Or Ms-Dos Chkdsk. Maybe It can Help. For Defrag, use PerfectDisk10 or Jk Defrag

5. Tony_Stark

Tony_Stark What's a Dremel?

Get Data Back ;)

6. Ravenheart

Okay I'm confused, geoboy333 asked which software should he use to recover files, since when did Chkdsk (which is what the Error Checking/Check Now uses when the pc reboots) recover files that have been deleted? It may/should fix the corrupt file system though before geoboy attempts to recover any files.

And not sure why you would mention Defrag programs either, what do they have to do with recovering files?

Thank god you don't work in tech support is all I can say :read:, Defrag to recover files, I want what you've been taking :eyebrow: :D :thumb:

7. geoboy333

i didn't say anything like that. its the reason the computer doesn't start, not a method of getting the files back. i rang MS and they said that the reason the computer broke was because the defrag had moved some boot files to far away from the reader so it couldn't find them when it booted up thus causing the corrupted file system.

i wasn't using the defrag to get files back i was explaining what went wrong. Why do you have to be so patronising i'm asking for help not writing "bully me" on my forehead.

what are you on in order to get that from my clear expanation? :p

do you have a grudge against me, if so why. cause i don't want you to patronise and bully me every time i ask for help. You probably do know alot more about computers than i do but that doen't mean i know nothing. I'm only sixteen, have had ME/CFS for two years and have built three computers in the space of a year. I may not know as much as you but i feel i am competent enough to have some respect.

8. Ravenheart

Who are you aiming your post at geoboy?, I've quoted your original post and you definitely asked what software to use to recover files!! I've even highlighted it in bold.

And another thing if your only sixteen then you said in your original post which I've also highlighted in bold the part where you said you've recovered a corrupt file system before and that you couldn't remember what software you used as it was 6 years ago, what when you were only 10 years old!

I think it's you who has the grudge against people trying to help you (or your just very sensitive for some reason) as I'm sure several people on this forum will back me up and agree that you definitely did ask what recovery software to use, in fact you said "Which software should I use to recover the files off it on a working computer."

So no ones bullying you at all, I offered help based on what you asked and nothing more, it's fairly obvious your only 16 and just because you have had ME/CFS for the last 2 years doesn't mean you can use it as an excuse and say/do/speak to people who try to help you any way you see fit.

I for one won't help you again and I'm completely confused as to whose patronising and bullying you as you asked what recovery software to use and you got told, it's as simple as that, so stop being so sensitive, and I'm sure I do know more about computers than you do but then that's debatable as you have been recovering files/repairing corrupt file systems since you were 10 years old!

Last edited: 8 Dec 2009
  9. geoboy333

listen. clearing the air. I apologize for the irrational things i said but i thought that my original question was clear, i didn't expect sarcasm as the issue is important to me. I just wanted to know which recovery software to use, thats all. sorry i was just a bit agravated earlier for none virtual issues. but still Ravenheart, do you know any good softwares i could use, i would be very thankful for your asssistance. Once again I apologixe for my previous behaviour and i hope it doesn't come between us in the future.

my apologies
    George Wilson

Ps six

10. geoboy333

PS six ago i helped my father fix his corrputed file system. I didn't do the fixing per se just helped so sorry for any condusion there. i'm no computer genius just merely a 4 year newbie.

for the record i have been a computer person for 4 years.:geek:

i have been an aggravated person from 8/12/09 12:40 to 8/12/09 13:40

no hard feelings?

G
    :wallbash::thumb:

11. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

look at something like Recuva, that might let you dredge files off the fooked HD (though im not sure how well it deals with corrupted filesystems).

Depending on the OS you should be able to write a new MBR to it using fixmbr or fixboot as described here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058

if its windows 7 then boot off the installation DVD and go to recovery tools, there should be an option to fix the boot files automatically.

12. Ravenheart

It was clear! You asked what recovery software to use, and again I've highlighted it in bold, see below for your original post also, and in that you also made it quite clear it was recovery software you wanted by saying you wanted to know the best round up of free data recovery software.

YES

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

He said some file are corupt, I only say, Maybe It can Help. By the Way a Good Defrag software is always appreciate.

14. Ravenheart

TheBlackSwordsMan,

I know what he typed and I even quoted what he typed in my 2nd response on this very thread so I strongly suggest you read his original post again as he made it quite clear that he wanted to know which software he should use to recover the files, and he also verified that in his response to what I put when he typed
    Which part of that do you and him not understand? He asks which FREE data recovery software is the best so I told him, which part of him asking that do you not get? And how can Geoboy say he didn't type that when it was him who made this bl**dy thread and I even quoted exactly what he said, god some people!

I suggest Geoboy re-reads his own thread to verify to himself what he put as it's clear to everyone else and I suggest you go back and re-read it as well as you clearly didn't read it properly at all!

God I hate people who don't think before they type! Stupid people should be banned from using PC's.

15. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

thats how Apple are still in business ;)

16. TheBlackSwordsMan

And Ubuntu, More Brown than Ever

17. Ravenheart

True :D

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

the hell's your problem ? Calm down ffs

TBSM is not entirely wrong. Yes, the OP asked for a recovery software but it doesn't mean that it's actually what he needs to solve his problem. I've repaired countless computers by doing what TBSM did (guess who he got this from). The repair option of chkdsk does help a lot when files are corrupted. It saved many computers from being formatted and there is at the least a slight chance that it could repair his mom's computer as well.

As for the defrag, when did TBSM say that a defrag would fix the issue ? The OP thinks his problem was caused by a defrag and therefore proposing a better solution for defrags was indeed a good idea

just chill out, jeez

TheBlackSwordsMan likes this.
  19. geoboy333

i have re-read the thread and see the error of my ways. Sorry for all the trouble ravenheart, didn't mean to get on your tits. I'm not stupid though, just haven't been feeling so good today so probably shouldn't have gone all pre-lunch period on you! :) I didn't see the softwares you reccomended in the original post so sorry again. will try them and hope they work although my dad has said he will have a look on his maxtor for them so in the end it may not be worth all this bother. hope we can get past all this curfuful and yes in future i will :read::D

Thanks for your help and will let you know if it works.

G

M7ck likes this.
  20. Ravenheart

Geoboy,

You are welcome and I'm glad you've seen the error of your ways and realised your mistake! Not many people do.

And as for you, well you can **** *** My problem was obvious I was told that Geoboy hadn't asked for recovery software when it was blatantly obvious he had and I proved it without a doubt, fact is if recovery software wasn't what he wanted then here's the thing DON'T ask for recovery software, it's really that simple.

And I really couldn't care less how many countless computers you've repaired (how can you not count to 1 by the way?) and as for where TBSM got his info from, I really couldn't care less to be honest, he still needs to learn to read! Geoboy asked for Recovery software and that is what was provided for him, he's learnt he was wrong and good for him so why don't you go back to the countless computers you've fixed and have a great day.

And if defrag is a good idea then here's the thing DON'T ask for Recovery software jeez!

Last edited: 9 Dec 2009
    M7ck likes this.