1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME admits Christmas sales slump

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm not surprised. You could get three or four reasonable second hand games for the price of one new one. Plus they're being undercut by the supermarkets. PES2010 £39.99 in Game, £27ish in Asda.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Because there has been 1 game released, and everything else is carpet fluff around it in terms of news and interest generated.

4. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Well if they didn't charge full RRP on all their games and charged more reasonable prices they might be having less problems.

5. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Multimodder

Got left 4 dead 2 online from game for £26 delivered before i whent into the shop at my town and it was £34 to greedy.

6. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

wellwhen you compare them to supermarkets they are being undercut aswell by places like amazon

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I decided to buy l4d2 a couple of days after launch, check amazon £26 decided i wanted it quickly and was therefore willing to pay a premium to have it in my hand. £30 would have been fine, that covers the costs of expedited post but £35 was beyond my physiological price point.

8. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

I quite like GAME, ten minuet walk, nice atmosphere, sitting in the park on the way home sharing my new purchase with the squirrels and I'll never forget the day they gave me £50 odd against a six month old £60 sound card as a trade in. I would have bought Dragon Age from them if the CE had come with a cloth map, it didn't and Steam got my money.

9. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

they put local independant game stores out of business and now the same is being done to them, a single tear rolls down my face for game.

anyway they make most of their profit on used games dont they?

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I just purchased a PS3 bundle from Game so it's not my fault!

I also feel all those people that bought Wiis last year have stopped buying new games, everything out on the Wii seems to be a rehash of a title people probably already have.

11. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

MW2 - £26 from Tesco or £45 from Game i know where id go (and did).

I even walked straight past Game to get to Tesco. With price's like that they really can't compete.

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

on another topic
    was in HMV last night and they didnt even have a pc gaming section

13. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

tbf a supermarket can cut the costs because they only need to hire 1 checkout person for the entire store, whereas GAME needs to hire a checkout person just for games, and so the marginal overheads are significantly higher, so they need to sell at a higher price point to make a profit. Supposedly the offset is that GAME will have better selection and also better aftersales/support/knowledge of the area, but the video / pc games market has been moving towards few but significant big releases where you don't really need an entire shop devoted to LFD2 and MW2.

14. Centy-face

Centy-face Caw?

People think it costs more to run a game store than a supermarket that is just bizzare. While its true that game has only games to sell surely because that is all it sells and it has about 3million shops now they can buy it in similar bulk to the supermarkets and while they can't slash the price as far they didn't even try, To be honest I haven't bought a PC game from a shop in several years the closest I have come is Amazon and as for portable games liek the DS they all get imported at half the cost from the US. Game shops are dying and I for one could not care less at all they are needless and obviously skew the market towards the people who pay the most for ad space and ultimately every time I have been in one the staff have not been any use at all they know about as much about games as my mum.

15. Greentrident

Greentrident Minimodder

I had a £15 game voucher that took me 9 months to spend because they can only be used in the stores - where the price hike is stupendous. I had a psychological block paying £20 for something that was available from their online store for £15!

16. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

I am all for shopping with Game (online), they have great deals, and delivery is quick, but the store prices are not competitive, and usually HMV undercut them...

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

A crying shame, they have the power to turn it around. Morgan Stanley gave a warning about HMV's games business being slow too.

18. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Ill admit the only reason i ever really go into game is to look through the pre owned section tbh. Ill buy new whenever i really want something, but more often than not i end up buying some completely random pre owned game that ive never heard of because its cheap.

The supermarkets are in a position where they can offset the sale of a game against the masses of other products they sell, They probably lose money on games when they sell them cheap, but from a business point of view if you can afford to do it, and get a customer in the store its win.

The tescos where i live used to accept the fuel vouchers from the other supermarkets, just to get customers to their store.

fev likes this.
  19. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I almost bought a 250GB PS3 with 2 BR's (Dark Knight + Wolverine) in Tesco last night, but checked on Play first where the same package was over £20 cheaper plus it came with the BR remote (which would have cost me an extra £17 in Tesco) so I left it.

20. AcidJiles

AcidJiles Minimodder

If they continually overcharge for games what do they expect. With the internet and supermarket prices they need to reduce them to stay competitive to give consumers a fair deal rather than charging the excessive RRP price that I presonally have not paid in about 7 years (even when bought new).

Tags: Add Tags