1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Live TV On Your iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cutter McJ1b, 8 Dec 2009.

1. Cutter McJ1b

Cutter McJ1b Home-cut jibs at discount Prices

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

It is a great service, I don't have an iPhone though so I can't try mobile streaming.

3. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

Someone at my work was watching the world cup draw on their iphone (not sure what program they were using) and the quality was crystal clear. It certainly come a long way since It was offered on my n70 a few years ago.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

TV Catchup wouldn't happen to work outside of the UK, would it?

For some reason nearly all streamservices tend to think buffering is bad...it would help you on a flaky connection, but bad or slow connections don't exist in marketing dreams ;-)

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Would eat through your bandwidth* though...

*200mb fair useage on O2 apparently

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I was going to say, mobile provider advertise "unlimited" downloads, but their definition of unlimited is even more ridiculous than ADSL providers. Less than 1Gb a month last time I looked.
    How many episodes of Top Gear would that get you?

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

One hour of streaming on the PC is about 350MB on TV Catchup apparently. Not sure what size the iPhone stream is yet but even if it's a third of that you're usage is going to skyrocket if you use it a lot.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I assume watching live TV requires you to own a TV license then, especially watching the Beeb's programmes?

9. Combatus

I assume so too although how they'd trace you over a 3G connection I have no idea. Maybe they'll be waiting for me at the next station or something when I'm next on the train! Unfortunately I have a licence but if they did that I'd be very impressed!

10. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

That would be easy. They would simply have to look for people staring at their iPhones, whilst walking into a lampost, all with a guilty look on their faces for hogging all O2's 3G network bandwidth. See you in Guantanamo:D

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

IIRC the TV licence is only required if you are watching 'live' TV broadcasts (ie top gear at its normal time slot of 8pm).

I would imagine this catchup service is more like Iplayer whereby you don't need a tv licence as the shoes only appear after they have been shown on tv.

Although the TV licence thing is quite a grey area.

Does this service work on a I pod touch (via Wifi)?

12. Combatus

It is actually live streaming. I watch top gear when it's on ie 9pm on a Sunday night.

13. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This is awesome. Was watching E4 whilst waiting for the wife at the station yesterday.

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Interesting, I stand corrected. In that case the TV licence question would be even more murky.

15. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Nice app! Quite often stream live tele via iPlayer on my HTC (WiMo) using a web browser, it's really nice to be able to do it!
    Shame 3G coverage is a bit crap on the move up this way!

16. Combatus

Thanks to a bit of lateral thinking by Sifter3000, I just ran it for 6 mins having reset my iPhone's usage history. It went up by 20MB meaning your downloading 3.33MB/min or 200MB/hr...

17. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

200MB/hr. Better check your *fair usage policy*, quickly.

18. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

I'm not having much success, it doesn't even work on the computer for me. Probably my slow connection.

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

That's quite incredible, when it works. Just caught a bit of snooker on BBC2, although Fiver refused to play.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

That's very cool - I've just been trying it out on my iPod Touch... The site doesn't appear to be compatible with my phone (HTC Touch Diamond), but... My phone does have a mobile wifi router app, and having just tested this, I can use my phone's connection on my iPod over wifi - and it works with this site. Very cool.

Yes, I know, an iPhone would be far easier... However I'm mid-way through a contract, so can't upgrade for nearly a year yet...

Tags: Add Tags