1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Saboteur Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 9 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Grab your satchel of dynamite and a dry box of matches because we're about to go plunging headlong into wartorn Paris in Pandemic's The Saboteur. Can Sean Devlin really help the Resistance save France and flush the Nazis out of the city? Will recently closed Pandemic go out on a high note?

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/ps3/2009/12/09/the-saboteur-review/1

:hip:

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I've yet to install it (running out of HDD space on my laptop) but it seems very promising.

3. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Bryn Williams? From Gamespy? Wow, the internet has finally come full circle. Glad to see you on Bit-tech.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Looks fun, but I'll be waiting til it's a bit cheaper.

5. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I really don't agree with that score of 7/10.

This game is at least 8~9/10. There are LOTS of things to do, lots of side quests and lots of half naked prostitutes. The game is VERY beautifull and some good ideas there too, like for example the chunks of the town occupied are B&W and after you liberate them from the nazis the become colored again. The city is soooo full of details that for a long time you won't see them all.

It is so fun to take a Zepellin down! The noise that it makes is kinda frightening.

The Reviwer failed to talk about one of the interesting features of the game that it is the perks system. If you complete some things in the game (like throwing 10 nazi off their elevated bases) you will be awarded with a perk for that. Like less recoil from auto guns, unlock a new weapon or a new car. Nothing personal, but looks like the reviewer wasn't much in the mood to review a game....

Trust me, it deserves more than a 7/10. Surelly one of the best games this year! Much more fun than the gorgeous Batman: AA for example.

BTW: All you need to kill that book burner general is a scoped sniper rifle and a Nazi unifor for a certain distance. Two shots and he was dead. But to run a car filled with explosives (you can fill a car with them with a perk) is much more fun!

Last edited: 9 Dec 2009
  6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The what?

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Fixed.

Dammit Phil, I'm a gamer, not a frenchman! ;)

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That game looks like a bit Red Faction Guerilla - I LOVED that game, and this one looks like it and I think will be my game for this Christmas...

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I've been playing this game for the past couple days and must admit I'm having great fun.

While bit-tech's 7/10 is entirely fair (you could even argue a lower score), it's one of those games that you can enjoy as much as a 9/10 or 10/10 'AAA' title.

But like past Pandemic games, on some level every aspect of every gameplay mechanic is broken in it's own way.

10. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

Why are the game reviews no longer coming with graphic setting comparisons?

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Like all Pandemic games, they have flaws.

But the explosions make up for it. Just like it did for Mercenaries.

13. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 9 Dec 2009
  14. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Any news if a demo is available?

15. Necrow

Necrow Minimodder

The is a fun game, managed to get the Tank from up the north side of the city last nigt and went on a 30 minute rampage blowing up as much Nazi stuff I could manage. There are a few bugs alright but it is a fun game play and really excellent styling (and of course the nudity which is on the PC version no DLC required). The PC version is a definite 9/10 for me.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

17. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Bit-Tech: 7
    Giant Bomb: 6
    Gamespy: 6
    Gamespot: 7.5
    GameTrailers: 7
    IGN: 7.5

The best review is from Destructoid and it gave the game an 8.5... Metacritic score is 70-75.

I think this review is well done, I haven't played the game but I can imagine that the engine is the same one that's been used for Mercenaries 2, and that sucked monkey balls.

Pandemic was failing to deliver lately with all of it's games, that's why it went down like it did.

18. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I don't think there's anything much in The Saboteur that Red Faction Guerilla doesn't do better, and even Red Faction Guerilla isn't all that great. Of the explosion-themed GTA knock offs I think Saints Row 2 is still the best.

19. bpdlr

bpdlr High-frequency bogon emitter

I agree with Yemerich, this game deserves a higher score. True, some of the technical flaws are annoying (I get patches of road texture not loading and when I drive into them it freezes the game, plus random crashes) and it has problems with ATI cards. But it's a huge game, there's so much to explore and none of it is cookie-cutter. I don't normally like WW2 games but found the setting great, it really has a French flavour to it.

Oh and that bit with the Nazi general? Trap a car and drive it at the tank, worked first time for me.

Tags: Add Tags