1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Titan Fenrir CPU Cooler Xmas Edition Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

That CPU cooler kicks ass.... think I'll treat myself to one next year :)

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Hmm... I want it.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

1) So your favorite cooler had a colour change. Is that front page worthy? The TRUE has been released in standard, black and even full copper, and none of that gets a mention.

2) I know you guys are not in the business of making stuff up, but really... did you test the thing or did you just copy/paste the numbers? I find it hard to believe that not one number turned out different between all those tests.

3) I saw this on the front page and thought: "yay! maybe they finally did a proper shootout between this and the TRUE." I'm disappointed to see that you didn't. Come on, the thing fits on a lot more then just 1336, and as the quintessential big one of all aircooles i still cant believe you are not properly including it. It's like reviewing Fermi (if it ever comes) without including the 5870 in the benches.

Again, i know for a fact that you guys take very highly of your journalistic integrity, that's why i must say that to me this article makes me wonder if any of you has some friends or maybe stocks in Titan.

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Ask ThermalRight to send them review samples, not whine about it in the forums. :/

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

YEAH!!!! CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

7. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

This.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I just got my standard Fenrir in the mail. It looks so bland now :(

I think I may have to paint it.

9. Combinho

Combinho Ten kinds of awesome

Can you get a standard Fenrir with LGA 1156 mounting? If not, this looks like a definite buy for me to get away from the stock cooler and finally get some real overclocking done.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

11. Xtrafresh

Right. It's not a whine, please dont be such a troll.

These are forums, in which people can discuss their views on the topic at hand. I fail to see where i was whining or disrespectful, i'm just raising my concerns. I like Bit-Tech, and i like their reviews, therefore, when i see one that is not very helpful to me, i will mention this to the reviewers so that next time they can take this criticism and improve on their ways.

The TRUE used to be their end-all king of the hill cooler and received the best cooling product of 2008 award from this very site. Am i so very wrong in saying that i miss it from the 775 charts? I' m also missing the megahalems from prolimatech, about which there's quite a lot of hype lately. I just dont really see the point in reviewing the Fenrir a second time because the colour has changed before these are included in the testbed.

If you look at the last review they did on the Fenrir, you'll see that the comments thread is full of people who were also missing the TRUE back then, and they are exchanging links to other review sites who did include these others.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Dec 2009
  12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I'm pretty sure the TRUE 120 has been reviewed by CPC before (hence I bought one, and for some reason I've yet to fathom, it performs worse for me than the AC7 Pro it replaced), so unless it walked out of the offices such a suggestion is not entirely without merit.

13. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

1) We've reviewed the TRUE full copper in the mag, but it was rubbish and never made it to the site. The black was just an expensive rebrand (which we didn't get sent), and we've always respected the standard TRUE's performance.

2) Our testing is based on Delta T, in an air conditioned environment. I'd be worried if the numbers were different to be honest - it means we're doing something wrong!

3)We've not re-tested the TRUE since we switched to our new combined CPC and bit-tech test rigs on anything but 1366. It's not some evil vendetta, it's just the TRUE is an older product that we haven't had time to retest on the older platforms.

Honestly we thought this review would get some giggles and a few laughs at the fact that it's an Xmas version. Sorry we didn't test your cooler on everything - Christmas is canceled.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Clearly you are on your high horse and cut out the flames. We do take your points on board, but generally we are more receptive when points are made with a less hostile tone. You'll notice you are the only one with such venom as well. It's meant to be a little fun on the run up to Christmas and not the discussion about the second coming. It's a three page review, it's only meant to be a quick update.

We re-reviewed EVERY SINGLE COOLER on the 1156 platform if you must know. We didn't test 1156 on the Fenrir originally, so this gave us the opportunity to do it now.

CPC did the TRUE copper a while back, but that was sent back so we couldn't review it here. Not to mention it wasn't very good. Thermalright just haven't sent us one for 1156 and we don't now have the LGA775 bracket for it. Unfortunately we cannot magic coolers or brackets out of thin air or do every-single cooler under the sun.

15. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Actually, I believe the standard Fenrir does come with an LGA1156 mount - the item on Scan is if you bought your Fenrir before the update. You should check with the reseller, just to make sure.

We've had a Megahalems for ages now, but the first sample had some manufacturing defects because it was so early. We've got the proper retail components now, so it's back on our to-do list. Christmas deadlines are tight, but we aim to do it soon.

16. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

RESPECT :) awesome cooler to start just got kewler and having the cheek to do an XMAS edition has added them to my fav company list

17. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

its different, its unique, it looks awesome so what is your problem?
    TRUE is old hat and has been surpassed by a plethora of modern coolers....its nice that your faithful but don't you think its time you got a divorce and got yourself a modern HSF to cuddle up to and stroke at night :)

18. Xtrafresh

I'm sorry guys, i really don't mean to kick up so much dirt or sound so hostile. All i wanted to say is that i'm really missing those other coolers from the article, and that i dont really see the point in a full review if all that's changed is the colour.

I do think it looks the business, and i don't doubt that the thing works perfectly. I'm also pretty charmed by the idea of a "christmas edition", even though i first saw it back in september.
    However, i still find it strange that you are recommending this cooler now without a word on your previous recommended cooler.

Aside from that, i'd like to mention i have never owned a TRUE, and have been watercooling for quite a while now. Please dont write me off as a fanboy :p

Oh, and dont take it all too heavily, you know i lubs ya! Except for Bindi, there's just too much talk of his banhammer to make him likable :worried:

19. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

WANT! how long will this be on sale for, after christmas? cant afford it right now

20. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

why cant america get this cooler or just this brand of cooler...

Tags: Add Tags