1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware What is the Best Gaming Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Kalcifer

Kalcifer If you want change, start with yourself.

Does the Razer Arctosa not have the same software as the Razer Lycosa? (which lets you program every key)

Oh and I think you linked a Razer photo in the Sidewinder section.

But <3 the revew.

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

G19 wins hands down, only one with a screen.

Once you use the lcd for ventrilo, cpu usage, bandwidth monitoring, in game info, the list goes on, you will NEVER go back to another KB without it.

The fact that they added so many wonderful extra features is icing on the cake.

S*D

4. Venares

Venares What's a Dremel?

Got to agree with Star*Dagger there.
    Once you have used a G15/19 and gotten used to that screen always being there its like having an arm cut off without it.

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I agree StarDagger, but the price just kills it. For the same money you can have a 7" USB screen that can display a whole deal more PLUS any keyboard of your choosing.

Link to an example of such a screen.
    Another example

I also use one, and using a PC without it feels cramped after you got used to it, it's fantastic.

About the keyboards, i'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any good one in there. Anthony, you are saying you'd still prefer getting a Saitek II?

6. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

I'm not getting what info you guys want on the external screen? Is there really a wealth of info that you deem necessary to see when you're playing an FPS? Like does it matter who came in vent last, just tab out when you're dead and look?

But please enlighten me, I'm a sucker for epinions and anything that can make me that 2ms better than my competitor.

Also, hate to deflate your argument Fresh, but if you add the price of your screen link with a new keyboard you are almost at the price of a G19, with more desktop space taken up by that extra monitor.

Lastly the article says there are many better models out there - name them please.

7. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

g11 for £40 made me buy one

oh and nothing beats a unicomp keyboard for typing

8. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

I still use the standard OEM Compaq keyboard, cause these things may not seem expensive in pounds, but in SGD they cost... rather high.

The G19 costs SGD299, X6 SGD109, Arctosa SGD79, 7G SGD259, and frankly, that is ridiculous.

Side note : A 5850 costs the same as the Logitech diNovo Edge. Which raises the quote of "WTF?!?!"

9. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

On my third Eclipse I here. Got another 2 in the cupboard for when this one dies. Got them cheap from a local comp store who needed to clear stock.

In my opinion, in regards to the G19 question, your keyboard should not cost as much as your CPU or GPU. It's absurd.

10. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Fixed, thanks!

12. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

The Logitech's having the screen is all well and good but i'm willing to say the majority of us have dual monitors at home anyways, i use that for vent/ anythin else i need while in game.

Disappointed in the SteelSeries showing, i'm a big lover of SteelSeries products but can't justify that price at all. On the reverse i'm not a Razer fan but that keyboard looks a step in the right direction, but it's Razer and no backlights?!?!!? wtf?! :p

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Indeed. You're most of the way to a kick ass CPU water cooling loop, and a GTX 275 or an i5-750 are only a bit more... It's your cash I suppose!

14. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

You seem to have completely missed the point of moving the number pad on the Sidewinder X6, which is to give you another bank of macro keys in reach of your left hand when using WASD. The software for recording macros is also really good with the sidewinder, even better than the G15. If you don't play games that are enhanced by being able to make macros etc then there is little point in getting a gaming keyboard at all, almost any keyboard will do. I agree about hitting the caps lock key, find that happening as well and the wrist rest is built in which some people may not like.

I disagree with the comments about the external screen on the G15 and it's ilk. I've moved away from mine (after my 2nd one broke) and I haven't missed the screen at all. It was a neat gimmick to play with during loading screens etc, but I was concentrating too much on my game to bother looking down at my keyboard and squinting at the little lcd.

15. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I use a v1 G15 and I don't think I could use a KB without the screen, it is just so useful/informative. The G19 is just double-plus-overkill. Give me an updated G15 at a similar price-point, Logitech.

Or, instead of spending such a lot of money on such a tiny screen, spend it on something far more useful.
    Such as a 17in LCD monitor.
    I bet lots of us have them from before we went widescreen, or you could pick one up cheap on eBay.
    I have my old Samsung in portrait mode next to my 24in. They have the exact same bezel height, and at 1200 vertical pixels for the 24in and 1280 for the 17in, they match really well desktop-wise.
    I love it for viewing documents or webpages (perfect for A4 sizes) while leaving my main screen for work. Recently I was making a website, and I edited the pages and content on the 24in, and viewed the updated pages in a browser on the 17in. Much easier to see how it will look on smaller monitors.
    It is just so useful.

16. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

as an owner of the 7g I would like to say I think it is a great keyboard but I have problems when typing where it seems to double type the letters

anyone any advice on how to fix as it's quite annoying.

18. MathiasLM

MathiasLM What's a Dremel?

I used to use a Logitech G15 keyboard, but I switched to the standard Apple keyboard (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB110LL/A) simply because of the space it takes up on the desktop and the way the buttons work.

I mostly use it to play games like CS 1.6 and WoW - games where you have to type and press A LOT of buttons.

19. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Fraggin when allowed :P

I use a G15 v1 and have got so used to the screen. Yeh sure, you dont need it but to be honest, most of us have pimped our rigs with gear we don't really need. It about mucking about with the LCD screen. I use LCD studio to design custom designs (although i'm getting a few errors with it on Win7) that provide sysinfo direct to LCD.

When gaming its handy to watch temps and core speeds to help identify bottlenecks and to let me know when i need to buy another GPU :)

Totally off topic but only just found out about the new Logi rodent too G500! Will this help me ditch my faithful mx518 i wonder . . . .

20. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Such as...?

Seriously, don't leave us hanging like that. If there are better keyboards out there for less cash, I want to know exactly what they are right then and there.

Tags: Add Tags