1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows DiRT 2 - What I Think

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Gunsmith, 3 Dec 2009.

1. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Polyphony have got the WRC license for GT5. Not sure how I feel about that tbh, so far in the GT games rallying's been rubbish but if they've got the physics for dirt driving properly sorted and have a whole championship I for one will be well chuffed.

On the subject of Dirt2, i downloaded the demo for the PS3 a while back and it was quite good fun but I don't think it should have McRae's name on it. I know that after the WRC he branched out into other off road sports (well he almost killed himself in the dakar) and did appear in the x-games but he was a WRC driver, and one of the greats. None of this XTREME!!!!! psudo rallying that they've got in america. I'd like to see Ken Block come to europe and take on Sebastian Loeb on a proper special stage.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

indeed, im already tired of this game.

played for a while, got sick of anything that's not a rally/trailblazer race.

agree with comments about it's a cross between grid and dirt. the rally cross races feel so much like Grid, i swear the Japanese race track is a re-skinned track from Grid

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

the more i drive hte more it grows on me, theres a time and a place for a proper racing game and this is not it, its a "im bored i want to drive for the next 30 mins"

fills the slot nicely, if only i could get Motorhead working on vista :(

4. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

The graphics in the first vid look stunning, and i like the tune in the second vid.

5. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

:clap:

Ladies and Gentlemen. Due to the enormous rush *cough* on my last lottery (Batman AA), today I'd like to offer an easier way to receive a free copy of Dirt2. Well at least the steam-activation-code for Dirt2. So the rules of the game:

The fifth one to PM me the make and model of Colin McRae's car he drove 2003 will receive the code.
    No multiple entries.

6. alecamused

alecamused Minimodder

game over. winner will start playing soon :)

Squallers likes this.
  7. Hg

Hg The game known as life

damn u i was no 3 in that comp :(
    but congrats and enjoy the game :p

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

last night i tried an experiment, i plugged in my g25 and took it for a spin in dirt and...something...magical happend. the game almost transformed into something so awesome i stopped to restart events after i finished them. :jawdrop: :D

finishing the x-games series unlocks the McCrae challenge which imo is the best part of the game and ends with an awesome tribute to McRae himself. :D

you'll hav eto bare with me on these, tis only my second run through these stages :(

Last edited: 6 Dec 2009
  9. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Awsome. Free game cheesecake! Wasnt gonna buy this till it was much cheaper or possibly for the PS3. The only problem is i suspect it may make my system cry. It didnt handle dirt 1 too well but a free games a free game so even if it runs at 10FPS thats 10 free frames a second

Either way, thanks +rep

Last edited: 6 Dec 2009
  10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

when do i unlock the 3rd X-games? i've played all but one stage 2 rally games, and really board of all other race types.

11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

get to rank 24

12. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i like this game, the graphics are amazing imo.

13. Tony_Stark

Tony_Stark What's a Dremel?

Very good game, nice graphic CMcR Dirt 2

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

oh really ? Then I should give the demo a go :)

15. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Dec 2009
  16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

17. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Even with just a keyboard on the demo I can see that's a fun game, although the lack of a codriver and directions irritates me immensely.

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

trailblazer is not the same as rally, rally has a co driver and you can set the complexity of the pacenotes in the "my stuff" page.

19. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ah right, ok. I wasn't really paying attention to what particular type of rally it was, as long as there are codrivers at the appropriate moments that's cool (I also like the idea of setting the complexity of pacenotes, I usually end up wanting maximum detail when I get into rallying mode).

20. Cthulhu32

Cthulhu32 Hey Kid, I'm a computer.

I got this running last night via my free Steam key for buying an XFX HD 5870 XXX edition, and so far I am really enjoying it. I'm playing via an XBox 360 wired controller, so I have full analog controls and the ability to replay and everything.

So far there are a lot of pros:
    - Graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Going into first person mode was really cool, there were a lot of effects that were missing in other camera modes. For example, when you hit a puddle, water would shoot up onto your windshield and your wipers would wipe it away.

- Sound is great, 5.1 surrounded my office and the environment was really cool. I believe the first London stage you drive by a large set of speakers playing rock music, and as you drive by them, you get the doppler effect. The only issue I had with the sound is Ravage3D would not allow me to do any tweaks, but it recognized my 5.1 setup so whatever.

- Gameplay is great for a rally game. The cars have a lot of meat to them, when you go over a turn that has a bit of a lip, you really feel the fact your car does not want to be on two wheels. I also enjoyed that the AI would crash their cars on difficult turns, and often times you'd have to really fight your way in.

And some of the annoyances/cons:
    - I really wish you could get into certain parts of the menu without having to be in the trailer. Exiting the game should not require 4 loading screens, result screens, etc.

- AI is pretty bad at compensating. Often times I could run a leader straight into a wall with minimal damage and zoom into the finish line. They would just take the abuse, it would be cool if they fought back.

- The only purpose of the money in the game was to buy cars while everything else is unlockable. It felt like the money and the unlockables were not very well thought through. Like I unlocked 3 rally cars, then I got to the Baja stage and I couldn't afford to unlock the better trucks which meant harder races were impossible. So I'd have to just play more rally mode to unlock the cars required to beat the truck stages. Seems... odd.

Also, you get a codriver later that says your name (if its in the names list.) It realllly tripped me out the first time I heard "Luke, you need to stay mid!". I don't like my codrivers yelling at me :(