1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Tactile keyboards - suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by logan'srun, 1 Dec 2009.

1. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

I'm kind of assembling my christmas wishlist and thought of something I've always been interested in and that was a new keyboard, but specifically a tactile keyboard.

I know that Deck is pretty popular, but has anyone here used them for an extended time? opinion?

Is tactile worth it?

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Apologies for the daft moment, but what's the difference between a tactile keyboard and any other keyboard?

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

You're the man!

5. logan'srun

so, nobody with some input?

6. logan'srun

nobody uses a tactile keyboard? If that's the case, what's a good keyboard then?

7. SilverSilence

SilverSilence What's a Dremel?

I've been using a Razer Lycosa for a week or two now, loving it thus far.

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

9. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

pick up this months mag, there's plenty of keyboards in there to chose from and about 8 reviews.

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Thats what I thought when I first read the thread title lol.

@xtrafresh cheers for the link, saved me googling. Learnt something new today :clap:

Wouldn't mind trying one myself, sounds cool. Would you be able to get one with built in clicky effects tho? Means my mum will think im working rather than sitting in pure silence/doing something else :thumb:

11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

i'd like a keyboard to have :hover events, i.e. led's are white when not in use, on hover they are very light blue and on press they turn electric blue, but avast my dreams never come true... think this calls for a mod.

12. IckesTheSane

IckesTheSane What's a Dremel?

clickyclickyclicky

I use a tactile keyboard at home and at work; the old style IBM Model M kind. The one at work I hijacked when the previous person who was using it left, and the one at home I found at an estate sale for $10.

I find them very... satisfying to type on. They make a nice audible clicking sound and have a click when you press on them, too. I don't touch type, but I'm a pretty quick hunt and peck, so I find myself looking at the keyboard most of the time when I type. As such, I can't see on the screen when I make a typo, but I can usually 'feel' it, since you have to be pretty intentional when you are hitting the keys.

I still type on a lot of regular keyboards, though. I certainly like mine, but I don't know that I'd consider them "worth it", especially looking at the prices of new ones you linked to, but I'm also cheap (ie, $10 estate sale). I was curious about them for a while also, but was never willing to spend the money and then possibly not like it. If you can, I'd try and find one to borrow, or at least type on in a store or something to get a feel for them. But good luck with that, they just aren't around.

They are noisy to type on, which is part of what makes them satisfying. When you're typing out a longer e-mail or memo, they just sound productive! Probably not so nice for room/housemates and coworkers, though.

It is also on the heavy side, probably a good couple of pounds. So, you have to ask yourself: Are you going to be sitting in your stocked bunker when the surprise zombie apocalypse comes? No, you'll be at your computer like everyone else. So be sure to give yourself an advantage over the general population and have a keyboard you can count on while using it to smash in zombie heads. :thumb:

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I like the look of that Deck board... but the lack of multi-media controls would annoy me after a while. Also, I'm not convinced a tactile key would be best for gaming... that sudden "jump" or "snap" when you apply past the threshold pressure may prematurely move your character etc. I think a linear key is best.

Having said that, my logitech board has a slight tactile feel to it, and it is very comfortable, and I've had no problem gaming so far.

I just think a simple, 105 key board with no extra controls for at least volume/mute and play/stop/pause is a serious omission.

14. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Tactile Keyboard? Explain?

15. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

Um, read the link.....

I've always used Cherry G83s and I find them to have the best feel. Proper classic keyboard. But then I don't need or want nonsense extra keys. Didn't know they mimicked tactile until I read this. They might ONLY be membrane, but I haven't used up my 20 million actuations yet, so I'm happy.

16. krazykid035

krazykid035 Entrepreneur

Doesn't say tactile anywhere or explain what it is. Is it how the key gets activated or something?

17. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

If you'd clicked on the second link, posted in the 3rd post you'd have got
    :thumb:

18. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

19. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

20. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Cherry MX Blue switches are pretty good gaming switches too. The tactile bump is extremely slight, so it's not much different from MX Black linear force switches. I use a Filco Majestouch 104-key model with n-key rollover and I have no problems with CS:S, TF2, L4D, and CoD.