1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Need help chosing a graphic card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [KNIGHT], 9 Dec 2009.

1. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

What Bagpuss said.

2. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

but zomg the ATi card has 3 times as many Shaders, higher clock speed and more RAM, it must be teh pwnzors!!!!1!

you are completely missing the point. these cards work in different ways, so a direct comparison which you tried to do wont work.

Folding would be one of the few reasons i would pick an nvidia card over ati, but then again, electricity costs money.

3. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

That's exactly what I've been trying to get across to barndoor, that the gtx 275 is faster which automatically makes it the better card, and you hit the nail on the head, the gtx 275 is faster and offers better performance than the 4890, I bet barndoor won't like or agree with that :D.

And barndoor, the 4890 might well have more ram/more shaders/blah blah blah but guess what it's a complete waste as the gtx 275 is still the better card and always will be.

And if electricity costs money, what will you use as an alternative ;) :eyebrow::rock:

4. barndoor101

ummm, try less electricty? once you start paying for it yourself you will know what i mean.

on a completely unrelated note, do i need a VGA cable to connect 2 VGA connectors?

and do I use a USB device with a USB port?

oh wait, only a complete tard would ask questions like that... lol

the other thing is you have used the word 'better' for the entire thread. you dont seem to realise that 'better' encompasses things other than speed.

5. Ravenheart

I suggest you quit with the insults as I don't find it or you funny, and for your information it is me who pays for the electricity I use in my house, who else would pay for it but me :eyebrow: so if I were you I'd take some sound advice and stop being so patronising, because you don't make yourself sound big or clever :nono:

And I am not a tard as you put it, so kindly take your insults somewhere else, I fully expect a mod or similar to tell you to watch it with the insults as I haven't insulted you.

And you know something in the thread I made which you kindly linked to :eyebrow:, I asked that question regarding a dvi lead simply based on the fact I didn't know what I was to use or buy and I made that quite clear, but you being you, you probably didn't read the thread properly :wallbash:.

Oh and in regard to your frankly patronising/clever questions, YES you do use a USB device with a USB port, are you stupid? :eyebrow: and yes you would need a VGA cable so you can connect it obviously :eyebrow:.

And I know full well you already know the answers to those 2 questions, but I'm humouring you and answering them anyway :sigh:

6. Dreamcometru

Dreamcometru Minimodder

...this whole thread...has been blown so competley...no never mind

7. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

I know! I wouldn't be surprised if the OP has buggered off to another forum!
    Try to stay focused guys, this place is supposed to be a font of knowledge.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2009
  8. Ravenheart

Absolutely and I have given my knowledge on this subject, the OP got an answer (well several actually lol) and all this wouldn't have been going on so long if barndoor had just accepted what I was trying to get through to him that the gtx 275 is a better card than the 4890 regardless, which other people have posted as well in agreement.

This has simply been a debate nothing more, until barndoor indirectly started with the minor insults, however light-hearted they may have been intended.

9. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

that the gtx 275 is a better card than the 4890 regardless, which other people have posted as well in agreement.

But not everyone and that use of the word regardless is just too sweeping to be accepted.

The 275 is NOT better regardless and in fact, while slightly faster in some games (by 2fps) is SLOWER in others and when measured by OTHERALL performance is NOT as good as the 4890.

This site recommends either the 4890 or the GTX 260 216 in terms of bang for buck. Put it another way, if buying a new card now... while not wanting to go for a next gen card, given we ain't yet so much had a sniff of the Nvidia side of what the next gen is going to be like, Bit Tec do NOT recommend buying a GTX275 despite it's occasional speed advantage.

There's an old story about a tortoise and a hare in a race. Suffice it to say ....the tortoise wins!

10. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

"A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees." William Blake :D

11. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

No one minds a fool except a fool who opens his mouth and proves he is just that, a fool.

12. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Actually if you were to factor in the price, which Ravenheart hasn't, the HD4890 wins.

The GTX275 is a good $30 more if you're lucky in the US.

13. Ravenheart

Hmm,

Okay then, the 275 is faster overall than the 4890 but your right, the overall or OTHERALL performance of the gtx 275 is NOT as good as the 4890, it's BETTER!

This site may well not recommend the gtx 275 but guess what it doesn't say don't buy one either, oh and guess what back in April this site did recommend buying one and in the review back then it clearly stated, wait for it....... That the gtx 275 is the better card of the two by saying
    and even now the Gtx 275 is the clear choice as it does a hell of a lot more than the ATI card can do, such as folding for a start.

Oh and guess what how can the tortoise win, when the Hare is 2 fps faster! And faster overall, hmm let's see it can't........ :rock:

I've not factored in the price have I not Eton? Then do tell what all of the above (which I typed) actually is then.

I clearly gave reasons what the extra £50 gets you if you went for the Gtx 275 so therefore I did factor in the price :read:.

Now while this has been fun, and I've been riveted by barndoors solid defence of the 4890, I shan't be posting on this topic again because guess what, the gtx 275 is the better card overall, period, FULL STOP.

14. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The problem is that the Extra 50 quid isn't worth the very few frames you actually yield from the card. True you do pay more for the architecture and the bandwidth but specs are far different from actual performance.

If you look at it that way, you could say this: I payed a good 100quid more for my HD2900XT Crossfire which had a 512bit bus and a much higher clock, sadly it doesn't perform as well.

I know it's a bad comparison but that's what you're saying pretty much.

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

god this is getting dull now,

im gunna summarize:

1. The GTX275 is FASTER overall in most games
    2. The 4890 is CHEAPER by at least 15%
    3. The 4890 offers BETTER bang per buck

Thats it - at the end of the day id recommend the 4890 cause i like to get as much as possible for my money plus with fermi round the corner id have my 4890 as a stop gap for now which is another reason id hold of spending alot on a GPU

16. Fazed

Fazed Minimodder

Dude, relax. I was merely poking a bit of lighthearted fun.:D

This thread really has run it's course, I think the OP has a enough food for thought now. Seriously, 3 pages of ATI v nVidia bitch fighting! Not really in the spirit of these forums, IMHO.

17. barndoor101

3 pages is nothing compared to the i7-920 vs i7-860 one not long ago.

18. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

why compare a 275 with a 4890

cheapest 4890 I can see is € 139,90 against the 275 at € 181,24

like for like your looking at say a 4850x2 at € 199,90 or to the 4890 a 260 216 at € 139,95

a 5850 at € 215,33 is closer

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

but which is better i7-920 vs i7-860

20. Ravenheart

Haha memeroot very funny, wrong thread for a start, tell you what knock yourself out right here with this 7 page thread, the one barndoor mentioned i7 920 or i7 860?