1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Adobe Acrobat, Reader under attack

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Dec 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Christ. Again?

3. scawp

scawp What's a Dremel?

SazBard likes this.
  4. Ryun

Ryun What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't say that. The UI is 'eh' and the plugin is hit or miss. I like it's benefits over my issues with it -- and I do use it over Acrobat -- however, but I don't think it's better than Acrobat for people who just want the software to work (I'm referring to the plugin mainly here).

5. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Wherever javascript goes bad security tags along. You can blame the majority of serious browser vulnerabilities across all browsers and platforms on javascript. That is why NoScript functionality should be a standard feature in ANYTHING that uses javascript. It's like UAC for the web.

6. whiskers

whiskers What's a Dremel?

After Foxit installed Ask toolbar on my computer even though I checked "no" I decided to search for yet another alternative - http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/PDF-XChange_Tools/pdfx_viewer

It's even faster than Foxit, has a much nicer looking user interface, and WILL save your changes like highlights and underlines (though I only READ PDFs occasionally)

7. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Adobe = Bloatware.

Foxit +1

:)

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

+1

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

it's adobe's fault.. they need to make sure when someone issues a System.Shell.execute, it's handled correctly

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Adobe are really bad about this stuff..

11. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

+1

Adobe 150MB+ hard drive -- Foxit ~10MB
    Adobe loads 1-2 minutes -- Foxit in 1-2 seconds
    Adobe ram usage ~500MB -- Foxit ~150MB
    (same document)

I could go on.

Another alternative is Sumatra PDF which is a tiny program however it has RAM leakage problems and I have seen ram usage 1GB+ for large files (same document as above). Otherwise a brilliant program though.

Never had any problems with the Foxit plugin in firefox or chrome - what the hell are you trying to open? I actually found it to be better and less buggy than Adobe's. Although I had stopped using way before adobe starting installing stuff I didn't want it to, that was the final straw. If I install a program I only want to have to uninstall that one program, not two or more!? In addition to that Adobe doesn't "just work" - have you seen how many exploits have been targeted at it? Using a less popular browser/pdf viewer etc always helps to avoid these vulnerabilities as exploit creators don't target them!

Also never had this issue and I have installed it over 100 times - are you sure you unticked it?

12. LucusLoC

LucusLoC What's a Dremel?

i hate adobe products. 90+ mb for a reader? what on earth for! someone please tell me! and their other products are just as bloated and broken. how did they manage to become an industry standard?!

13. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

OSX's preview program opens PDF's which is handy, but windows still chugs along with Adobe, but with my system specs, it's not the end of the world. But it's nice to see another company being targeted over Microsoft, kinda feel sorry for MS, hum, ah well.

Sam

14. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

15. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

CutePDF here. No hassles.

16. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Sorry for reanimation of long dead thread. I did a search and this was the closest thread to represent my question.

I need an alternative to Adobe Reader. Is there any software out there that is simple, malware/bloatware/adware free. That will not want to update itself all the time.

Tags: Add Tags