1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US Government sues Intel

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 Dec 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Down with Intel and Rise AMD

3. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

if intel colapses what will happen to all the new tech they are bringing out
    (core i3,i3 and i7)

it would be better if amd rose to intels equal becasue it would lower prices and raise quality becsaue they would be competing for the same market because 1 company has pins on motherbaord and other on cpu this measn that it is costly to swap from 1 to another.
    i would like to see them both using a universal standerd for the chipset which would be nice but i doubt will ever happen

4. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

They used to share the (super) socket 7 and socket 370 designs many years ago. I'd sooner see chipsets tailored to certain cpu's as we do now.

5. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Maybe Intel will learn and stop their stupid games?

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

US government sure takes a sweet time doing anything...

7. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

well its not that they are tailored to certain cpu's its just the shear amount that anoys me how many have amd got 3-4 intel have at least 5-6

i dont see why they do this

8. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Extracted from the compiler:

Code:
    if ($cpu_fabricant != "Intel") then
    {
        sleep 20000;
    }
    Tho AMD are a bit behind Intel in terms of performance, Intel still shouldn't use these anti-competitive means. They don't really need to. nVidia doesn't have anything to do with this and should really, please, stfu, and concentrate on the GPU market, specially gaming, where AMD/ATi is ahead.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Amusing sentence:

11. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Fair enough really, they shouldn't have abused their dominant market position in the first place. Can't really see that they have much to complain about here!

12. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i hope they get what they deserve but also hope that this is the end of the proceedings brought against them i just hope everything is fair from now going forward

so the 2 can compete on a level playing field and really fight to bring us the best CPUs

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

This is exactly why I went for AMD this time around...Provided me with an upgrade path, instead of all this i3, i5 and i7 business.
    Although AMD are not the fastest, they have done well considering their low market share (obviously due to Intel’s antics).
    I agree that a level playing field is going to promote some really innovative products! Can't wait.

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Probally less money for R & D, that can only hit the consumer in the short tearm. can Britain not sue too instead of being part of Europe? :hehe: Im sure our government could use a slice of that pie! Least this gives AMD some chance to catch up tho. Balls in AMD's court now, lets see what they do with it.

15. pizan

pizan that's n00b-tastic

As Horizon mentioned, the FTC is not after money. They basically want to be able to watch all of Intel's move and point out when they go bad and have to stop. A lot like what they do with Microsoft.

16. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

I would like to live in your world where companies actually change to the better

17. DarkBanana

DarkBanana What's a Dremel?

Humm... I wonder if the current economy has anything to do with the law suit l :p

18. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

AMD! AMD! Intel deserves an ass-kicking for what they did. That's for sure.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Im sorry but Intel had all of this coming, dont get me wrong I do favor AMD a bit more then Intel but Im not some blind fool that wont state the obvious, all Im saying is its not hard to see the unfair business practices that Intel has been doing for years not, it just finally caught up to them in one big hurt.

20. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

I work at Walmart, over 70% of the computers, both laptops and desktops, have AMD processors. I really dont see much of Intel's monopolizing at my end.

Maybe higher-end electronic shops sell mostly Intel? By higher-end I mean Best Buy or hhgregg.

Tags: Add Tags