1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Snow!

Discussion in 'General' started by Ryu_ookami, 17 Dec 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's because your trains are filled with poncey asshats who think snow is an excuse for the whole country to stop. :p

2. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

It's now picked up down here...since my last post where there was nothing, it's looking like it's gotton heavy, and will get heavier through the night...

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

And all our people in OZ and NZ and Malaysia are laughing at the Northern hemisphere now.

I have to write down all the Krikkit colorful expressions. Fullsome funbags, poncey asshats.
    Great fun to learn a new vernacular.

Last edited by a moderator: 18 Dec 2009
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Glad you like 'em, I'll try and keep some more coming for you jon. :thumb:

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Here here. As someone from the far north of the UK, it seems like all your southerners run down to your bomb shelters the second a single flake of snow is spotted on the horizon.

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

no kidding :(

7. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Snow? Really? Not sure I know what that is. ;)

Started about a month ago with one hell of a blizzard, which completely melted within a week, then decided to come back with one hell of a blizzard, which turned into -35c weather (with winds mind you!), and is now sitting right about +2. So, all in all, one hell of a winter so far - and I absolutely love it. Just the feeling of riding down a rough, snow and ice covered road keeping up (or passing) motor-vehicles is something I will never get over. It is the one time of year where I can show motorists why their form of transportation is truly inferior to my own chosen form (my bike never has issues starting in the cold, nor does it get stuck in anything, ever - or if it does, it doesn't take four people to push it out)

Though I did make sure to pick up a set of steel-toe shoes a while back for the winter, so I don't break my toes like I did last year (collided with a largeish chunk of ice while riding along at a good speed, and took out my pinky toe on my right foot - not fun).

So to you lot who run and cry at the thought of snow, stop being so pessimistic, and actually get out there and try enjoying it for once! It can be a downright blast with the right attitude and equipment!

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yeah okay but have fun riding 45km ...

I wouldn't want to take my bike during the winter though. Do you do anything special to keep it in shape ?

9. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

surely it would have been quicker to write 'the south'?

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

45km might be a bit much, yes. But thats all part of the fun! ;)

As to maintenance, not really, just make sure the bike is way over built (mainly full-on down hill parts, and anything else I can find that is just super reliable), and lube/replace the chain rather frequently. Currently I'm on a 40lbs cruiser from the early 90's that is on a S-Type up front (shimano hub), mammoth out back (internally geared 4spd shimano hub), Hussefelt cranks with a 36t flat ring, and a Dangerboy rock guard (with teeth!), Funn Soljam pedals, KMC chain, Jagwire Ripcord cabling, 4-piece DH bars, small bar ends, specalized Phenom seat, and a set of Kenda Kwick tires (best winter tires I've ever used). This thing absolutely rips through whatever I throw it at, and with the addition of the front and rear racks, it does my weekly shopping without issue.

Very soon here it'll have close to 1000 lumen's of headlight powah! (one 150L Stella, and two uber powerful Moonlight headlights that I don't know the output of, but they're massively brighter than the stella). If you're wondering, I got tired of being blinded by car headlights that are far too bright, so I've decided to blind them like they blind me. Plus it's fun to have that much light coming from the front of a pedal powered bicycle.

11. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Hmmm, It's awesome when they don't grit the first three roads I'd have to drive on on my way to work.

Sod that - I'm staying in the warm. Digital Commuting F.T.W.

12. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I'd like to point out that everyone who isn't on the Cornish side of the Tamar is officially 'up north.'

Also, no snow down here.

13. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

We had 15 cm of snow in Denmark yesterday. Finally got to play around with the motorized snow thrower my dad bought. Damn it is good fun :D

14. RTT

RTT #parp

about 5-6 inches on the ground in Ascot. Was snowing from about half 9 last night, and was still snowing when I randomly awoke at 3:30am!

15. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

16. barndoor101

And everyone south of the Tamar officially rides a combine harvester ;)

17. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Only a few of us are rich enough to afford a combine. Most either take the sloop or ride to work on the back of a cow.

18. barndoor101

work? i thought that was simply setting foot outside the farmhouse and into the field?

only kidding ;)

19. MacWalka

MacWalka What's a Dremel?

Not much snow up in Glasgow just now, just a wee sprinkle. Roads have went icy though, which I don't mind. My sphincter does make my asshole turn about the size of a small pea when driving home from work on unlighted back roads at night that are covered in ice while being constantly blinded by tits who can't turn off full-beam headlights.

Hopefully get up to Aviemore for some boarding action, bored of boarding on fake XScape snow.

20. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Not everyone in Cornwall is a farmer y'know. Some of us are smugglers.