1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks USB or PCMCIA?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Squallers, 18 Dec 2009.

1. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Having just knackered the USB wireless stick I use with my laptop for the nth time I'm getting a bit fed up of having to resolder the contacts

Unfortunately it's an old laptop so my only options are another USB adapter or a PCMCIA card. I can honestly say that I've never used anything that goes in the card-bus before but from the looks of the pictures it would protrude less and looks more solid (so I'm less likely to break it). But I'm completely unfamiliar with the tech so would it be noticeably slower/faster (?) than a USB adapter or will it make absolutely no difference in my 850mhz P3 powerhouse of a laptop?

2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Considering that lappy probably only operates on USB 1, I'd wager the PCMCIA slot would work much better (since it's essentially laptop PCI)

As for plugging stuff in, it's just a really long, deep USB connector (sort of, not really), but you'll need drivers.

3. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Thanks man. Didn't think about the whole USB 1 or 2 issue, you're right it only has the first gen tech.

PCMCIA it is then, definitely looks like it'll be harder for me to break.

4. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

:eyebrow:

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Well, it is! You take the card, and slot it in! Didn't really know how else to explain it, tbh.

Maybe a comparison to an old Game Boy cartridge would have been better... :D

6. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

I have used both USB and PCMCIA wireless adapters in an old laptop nd in my opinion I have found the PCMCIA card to be better, simply because I haven't broken it yet. I broke 2 USB wireless sticks before switching to a PCMCIA nd won't be using a stick again.

7. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

That's exactly the reason I decided on the PCMCIA (which i've now ordered). Up to now I've only had the one stick but the thing's been knackered and re-soldered several times (casing held together by tape) and this time I just couldn't be bothered, that and my soldering iron's at uni